Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Ruger mk iv jamming

Reactions
So my new ruger mk iv stainless target is on its second trip back to ruger. I bought it new and it jammed about once every magazine. I sent it back to be fixed . It received a new bolt and a large list of repairs. So I get it back and no matter what ammo I feed it it jams about once every 50 to 100 rounds ( failure to eject ie stove pipe). So it is on its way back again for repairs. Anyone else encounter this?

Reno

Reactions
Not in either of my IVs or IIIs. They tend to be troopers.

Makes me wonder if it’s the magazine not the gun. Especially if it happens after repairs have been made via Ruger.

Did you send it in with the magazines as well?

Dyjital

Reactions
It happens.

Main causes: wrong ammo or weak ammo too early in the guns life.

Until the pistol is well broken in, use quality ammo.

85A469DE-3012-4783-A896-40E30A926105.jpeg

The MKIV 22/45 Lite on top:
It’s run near flawless since purchase. The first 180 rounds were dry, no lube and it still functioned perfectly. Added some lube and still functioned flawless

The MKIII 22/45 bottom:
She had some issues when new but it never went back to Ruger. I found the most issues are ammo related. I can fire CCI standards, stingers and many more sans issues. The moment I switch to Federal bulk garbage I get problems. I can now run Aguila subsonic 40 gr ammo out of it without issues. I couldn’t do that in the beginning.

My issues:
Stove piping, ammo getting caught in the ramp due to lack of energy being exerted forward (weak ammo pushed bolt not far enough back). 98% of failures are related to ammo in my experience.

So, what ammo were you using? Be honest now...

Besides, you have the pistol that’s next in my collection of 22’s.

OP
O
Reactions
Not in either of my IVs or IIIs. They tend to be troopers.

Makes me wonder if it’s the magazine not the gun. Especially if it happens after repairs have been made via Ruger.

Did you send it in with the magazines as well?
yes...Why would it shoot 50 or so rounds then jam? I would think if it was the mags it would jam consistently...Like you my mk II and mk III run awesome

OP
O
Reactions
It happens.

Main causes: wrong ammo or weak ammo too early in the guns life.

Until the pistol is well broken in, use quality ammo.

View attachment 599699

The MKIV 22/45 Lite on top:
It’s run near flawless since purchase. The first 180 rounds were dry, no lube and it still functioned perfectly. Added some lube and still functioned flawless

The MKIII 22/45 bottom:
She had some issues when new but it never went back to Ruger. I found the most issues are ammo related. I can fire CCI standards, stingers and many more sans issues. The moment I switch to Federal bulk garbage I get problems. I can now run Aguila subsonic 40 gr ammo out of it without issues. I couldn’t do that in the beginning.

My issues:
Stove piping, ammo getting caught in the ramp due to lack of energy being exerted forward (weak ammo pushed bolt not far enough back). 98% of failures are related to ammo in my experience.

So, what ammo were you using? Be honest now...

Besides, you have the pistol that’s next in my collection of 22’s.
Nice guns! Like I said no matter what ammo I shoot cci mini mag federal match etc etc..When it does jam you can feel it in the recoil . So far it has about 3k worth of different ammo and does the same thing... Just disappointing in their higher end offering of the mk IV that is for sure . Mine is the the stainless target model with threaded barrel.

OP
O
Reactions
Btw last go around The bolt was replaced the last shot hold open was repaired along with safety and detent...Thinking this one slipped thru their quality control

Alexx1401

Reactions
Sadly it sounds like you got one that slipped through. I did not see if you mentioned trying some more mags? If you only have the two it came with I would try a couple more first. Then how are the followers in the mags doing? Do they move freely? On all my MK's. II, III, and IV the mags will get gunked up after time and sticky. Use some spray cleaner then when dry some graphite.
Buddy of mine has a MKIII that for years was giving him fits. Finally he ordered a new extractor from Volquartsen. When he got it he had a hell of a time getting the one in the pistol out. There was something not right with it. After he put the new one in the problems vanished. I know its a PITA that you have sent a damn nice pistol back twice now and it still is not right. If it's worth it to you see if there is a Smith in the area who can check it? These are very nice pistols. Sure hope you can get it to sing like it should.

OP
O
Reactions
The mags have been replaced.. I agree with you about the extractor. Ruger has paid for both trips back and forth so I am sure it will get fixed. Besides the jamming I really like the new model and all the new features.

Alexx1401

Reactions
The mags have been replaced.. I agree with you about the extractor. Ruger has paid for both trips back and forth so I am sure it will get fixed. Besides the jamming I really like the new model and all the new features.
At least they are footing the bill. It is such a damn nice looking pistol. Hopefully another trip back and they can make it work. I know it has to be frustrating as hell.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    It has been a while since I have been in the store just because I don't get to downtown Tigard...
    • bobcat7677
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Love all the Guys and Gals, the redbeard is pleased. Even if it wasn't 1 min away from my house...
    • SVT-ROY

Staff online