JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked up a Mk III GC yesterday to make the most of the indoor range during the damp and cold weather. I've been using my P226 up till now, and while it does an OK job on the tactical range, it's not a taget shooter.

Anyways, hit the range this morning and managed to pull off the ten shot string below with open sights. This is not my usual level of shooting, and I have to say, the gun is certainly more capable than I am.

Added the dot sight to it this afternoon for grins. I'll see what I can acheive with that on there at the next visit.

I have to say, I was a long time getting to picking up the MK III, I've been thinking about it for a while...I'm really glad I did. This thing is going to see a lot of ammo before I am done with it.

View attachment 198440

View attachment 198441

The MKIII is a great little pistol ....... Very nice shooting .... :)

+1. Own one also and enjoy it. You'll see them regularly in the hands of Bullseye shooters and other accuracy minded folks. One of the best choices for the money involved.

Many, many after market choices available too if you want to improve the trigger, sear and hammer functions, etc., as well as grips.

Enjoy.

Yes, the aftermarket parts look pretty extensive. I am going to replace the hammer bushing to remove the mag safety and just got a deltapoint optic on order. Other than that, a few new mags and i'll see how i do.

I was quite surprised at how fun this thing was to shoot. When your not spraying rounds down range, and the target start to look like you know what your doing, life gets less frustrating!

I have the same gun essentially, but with the Bull barrel. I put the Volquartsen trigger, sear, hammer, etc. kit in and the improvement was amazing. Not that factory wasn't acceptable - it was, but this was an improvement over that.

I haven't removed the mag safety - let me know how that goes and what it takes.

Now you just have to run about 2 mags each of about 10 different kinds of ammo through her to see which your top three will be. Given how hard it can be to find a reliable supply of one type of ammo - it's something I've had to learn to live with. Sure hope stores start having steady supplies soon.

I have the same gun essentially, but with the Bull barrel. I put the Volquartsen trigger, sear, hammer, etc. kit in and the improvement was amazing. Not that factory wasn't acceptable - it was, but this was an improvement over that.

I haven't removed the mag safety - let me know how that goes and what it takes.

Now you just have to run about 2 mags each of about 10 different kinds of ammo through her to see which your top three will be. Given how hard it can be to find a reliable supply of one type of ammo - it's something I've had to learn to live with. Sure hope stores start having steady supplies soon.

The package arrived this evening, so I'll probably do the change over tomorrow night. I'll document the process and let you know.

I seriously thought about changing out the trigger parts, may get to that as well. Having just ordered the Deltapoint (which aint cheap) it stays stock for now.

Lets see, i have
Thunderbolts
Golden Bullets
Two types of Federal
American Eagle
CCI Mini Mags
Winchester
Blazer

I guess that should be a pretty decent cross section of ammo to try out this weekend!

Crosshairs, a bit of a prediction based on my experience with my MKIII:
Thunderbolts - poor
Golden Bullets - worse than poor
Federal - depending on which ones
American Eagle - fair
CCI Mini Mags - Good
Winchester - depends on which
Blazer - Good to better than that.

From my own experience, the best were Winchester T-22's and CCI Standard Velocity, followed by CCI Blazer.

I have some Remington Target which have been surprisingly good in another gun, so I'll try them in the Ruger. Federal brands, from bulk to even the best Gold Medal Target rounds, have been marginal, although I can live with the Gold Medal Target rounds. But for the extra money, they don't outshoot the CCI's.

I'll be interested to see your outcomes. Every gun is different. I've run mine with both irons and a Red Dot. Getting a new Ultra Dot to put on it also.

Still can run through lots of rounds in a day, but when you're hitting what you aim at, or making really small groups on paper, it is so much fun!!

That ten shot group was with Winchester Target rounds. I had some Yellow Jackets which seemed pretty similar. Subsonic Remingtons seemed a little random.

The dot sight will help me determine the best rounds to use in it...when I know that I'm pointing in the right direction, things tend to work better.

Installed the MK II hammer bushing just now. Took me about 20 minutes of actual messing with the gun time! Would have been faster, but forgot to put the slide release back on the first go round, and then did not realise I had to raise the seer either...figured it out pretty quickly though.

It's now a breeze to assemble and dissasemble without the mag in the gun, and the mag shoots out the frame when you hit the release. Really was worth the doing!

Can also do the whole assembly without the rubber mallet too. I've only taken this thing apart three times now, and it's already a much easier process.

Glad to hear on the mag safety removal. That's one big bugaboo with me on the MKIII, you push the mag release button and still have to dig the magazine out. I want it to fall out on the bench or ground!!

Sorry I missed you said you'd bought a Deltapoint. Wow, I'm impressed. Saw one at the gun show today and think I'd want the 3.5 MOA over the 7.5 MOA. That's too big and bright for the kind of shooting I do. Still, I'm impressed. That's a heck of an investment in an optic for the Ruger!! I've been looking at Ultradot's new Holographic sight but haven't take the step to buy it yet.

Are you a member at TCGC? If not, I recommend looking into it and it's certainly not far from you. I live in Vancouver and make the trip there regularly.

Glad to hear on the mag safety removal. That's one big bugaboo with me on the MKIII, you push the mag release button and still have to dig the magazine out. I want it to fall out on the bench or ground!!

Sorry I missed you said you'd bought a Deltapoint. Wow, I'm impressed. Saw one at the gun show today and think I'd want the 3.5 MOA over the 7.5 MOA. That's too big and bright for the kind of shooting I do. Still, I'm impressed. That's a heck of an investment in an optic for the Ruger!! I've been looking at Ultradot's new Holographic sight but haven't take the step to buy it yet.

Are you a member at TCGC? If not, I recommend looking into it and it's certainly not far from you. I live in Vancouver and make the trip there regularly.

Yes, it sure is an investment, but I figured that it would be worth it for sure. I did look at cheaper alternatives, but to be honest, this gun is a precision instrument, figured i'd give it a precision optic.

Also agree, the 7.5 moa looks like a good idea, but I think that it would be a little distracting...I just need a dot!

I am a member of TCGC, have been for the last year. I'm actually headed down there this morning to fire off some more rounds through the MK III. I'm really happy to have somewhere clean and safe to shoot that's a short hop from home. Of course the downside is that I shoot more ammo and buy more guns/gun related gear :)

Small world, as you wrote that last post I was at TCGC firing a different .22 and a .45.

So you put a MK II hammer bushing in the MK III? That disabled the mag safety and allowed for better mag release? If so, I need to look into that.

Also, there's a new product out for the MK III designed to improve magazine extraction/ejection I need to investigate. It's only a few bucks, but I need to see what it is and how it works before I do anything. This gun is pretty tuned at the moment so I've become protective.

Yeah! It's a small town when it gets down to it. My buddy and I ended up being the only two folks at the indoor range for the short while we were there. Managed a few hundred rounds through the MK III and my 10/22.

Shooting pistols with a dot sight is sure easier....while I did not get a grouping any better than the ten shots above, what I did get was multiple mags of ammo with only marginally more spread to them(when I was focused and not just having fun). The MKIII is a shooter.

Fired some Federal Champions, shot really well. The Winchester Target loads, also shot well. Remington Golden Bullets....not so good(to be expected). The Remingtons were inconsistent to say the least. You could feel(and hear) that the rounds have 'very' varied velocities, yet in my 10/22, hardly noticed anything.

This is the part that I dropped in. Easy to do, solves the drag issue on the mag (it pops right out now) and makes assembly and dissasembly really Rimfire Sports & Custom: Volquartsen Mark II Hammer Bushing

I was also impressed with Rimfire Sports too. Fast turnaround and no shipping charges.

+1 on olyshoots.
I have installed the complete VQ kit in seven or eight Mk II's over the years and it really makes a difference.
The biggest change is the Sear.
On my last gun, I just change the sear and installed a Wolff reduced power trigger spring. 1/3 the price and 90% of the improvement.

I have the Speed Strip Kit in my MK III along with the 3.2 Bushing .... they are great!

Speed Strip Kit

Mine also has Altamont Grips on it and has been threaded for a Suppressor ..... you can barely tell with the thread protector on .... I have a superb Gunsmith here .... :) He also installed The front 'Fire Sight' to it ....