JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always had a Mk II or 22/45 in my stable. It's a great 22LR. My only criticism of the pistol is the lever takedown for cleaning. I've read the manual and yet it still seems to be a Houdini like maneuver especially because you don't need to do it that often (Oldhimers may be creeping in).

Was at the range with a friend a few weeks back and he had brought out a Mk II he purchased used. It was not function properly (he admitted to playing with the lever). After a while there were 6 of us standing around all trying to assist in the takedown of this pistol. Numerous attempts to get the mechanics to line back up failed until Poof!!!! it worked. The guy who did it still could not explain exactly what he did but it shot fine and we continued our afternoon.

It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. You have to hold it with the barrel pointed up to get the hammer strut to fall into the little notch in the take down lever. Everything gets all bound up if you try to do it any other way. The instruction manual explains it well but for those of us who do better with a visual....there are plenty of videos on you-tube.

The critical step while reassembling (well, what I have found anyway) is that you really need to make sure you have the magazine in, trigger depressed, then released and the mag removed in the last few steps prior to the latch being closed.
It screwed with me the first two times I broke it down, but it gets easier. Again, I think the the trick is knowing when the magazine is to be in place then removed so follow the instructions closely until you are familiar.

I'll have to check out those vids on youtube because I never take mine apart. Once I got it back together after the first time, I swore I'd never do it again. I just boresnake it and use a toothbrush to get the bolt face. Call it an endurance test to see how long it can go with just cursory cleaning... :)

Pull the trigger and push the hammer forward. When pushing the take down lever/ hammer spring in place, set the hammer push rod in the notch of the hammer spring. Took me a few times to realize that I needed to pull the trigger and move the hammer. With a mark 1 or 2 there is no need to insert the magazine, they do not have a mag disconnect like a mark 3.