JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is workable but not ideal.

I want to be able to unsafe my weapon without my finger in the trigger guard. When it comes down to weapon manipulation, I want my trigger finger to have exactly one job, pull the trigger.

The AK roots are from the Garand and StG 44.
I'm a little confused… because if you want your trigger finger to only pull the trigger then how do you shoot and then chamber a round in a bolt action? Lever action? Manipulation of safety for an SKS? AK? And then there's the manipulation of the safety on the pump shotguns or how do you shuck it?

I am just confused but it's easy to do at times. Maybe a diagram for me. I just believe in practicing manual of arms

Last Edited:
I have most of the firearms mentioned or had them at some point… M1A mags are pricey, so are FAL mags, HK mags, and the list goes on… people need to stop focusing on having 50 mags that hold 30 rounds and cost them $11 each… if you want to know about "expensive/pricey" mags go ahead and buy a mag for HK416, MP5 or better yet get a couple for the 50 Barrett. Look not all rifle are the same… not all mags are the same… but everyone expects HK quality but KCI prices! Oh yeah find a Bakelite under $80 nowadays… @Knobgoblin you know how pricey those AK74 mags are lol

I have most of the firearms mentioned or had them at some point… M1A mags are pricey, so are FAL mags, HK mags, and the list goes on… people need to stop focusing on having 50 mags that hold 30 rounds and cost them $11 each… if you want to know about "expensive/pricey" mags go ahead and buy a mag for HK416, MP5 or better yet get a couple for the 50 Barrett. Look not all rifle are the same… not all mags are the same… but everyone expects HK quality but KCI prices! Oh yeah find a Bakelite under $80 nowadays… @Knobgoblin you know how pricey those AK74 mags are lol
I just "sourced " this one.
Probably $85/90 in cash value.

20210916_144950.jpg

I'm a little confused… because if you want your trigger finger to only pull the trigger then how do you shoot and then chamber a round in a bolt action? Lever action? Manipulation of safety for an SKS? AK? And then there's the manipulation of the safety on the pump shotguns or how do you shuck it?

I am just confused but it's easy to do at times. Maybe a diagram for me. I just believe in practicing manual of arms
First and foremost I was speaking of semi-auto fighting carbines. That said, I don't own any bolt actions or an SKS, don't really care to. Lever actions, it is not an issue. AK I shoot left-handed and use my support hand to manipulate the safety, although I'd like to try a Krebs ambi-safety. Pump shotguns no problem, my preferred style is a Mossberg tang safety but on my 870 I replaced the stock button safety with a Vang Comp Dome safety and the stock is a Speedfeed IV stock, that combination allows my to swipe off the safety using my thumb similar to a 1911.

Hope that helps with your confusion, sorry no diagram. I too believe in practicing manual of arms, but just the ones I own and have configured my way.

First and foremost I was speaking of semi-auto fighting carbines. That said, I don't own any bolt actions or an SKS, don't really care to. Lever actions, it is not an issue. AK I shoot left-handed and use my support hand to manipulate the safety, although I'd like to try a Krebs ambi-safety. Pump shotguns no problem, my preferred style is a Mossberg tang safety but on my 870 I replaced the stock button safety with a Vang Comp Dome safety and the stock is a Speedfeed IV stock, that combination allows my to swipe off the safety using my thumb similar to a 1911.

Hope that helps with your confusion, sorry no diagram. I too believe in practicing manual of arms, but just the ones I own and have configured my way.
I have to wonder how the sks safety works for a lefty.
I like it well enough right handed. What do you think of the aftermarket, oversized mossberg safeties?

I own one. I like it. I realize it's not an AR. I don't care. I enjoy shooting it. No regrets.
That sums up my opinion nicely, as well. :) (yes I know this is an old thread)

Mine was purchased by my dad, in the late 1980s. Mini-14s seem to be quite "hit-and-miss" for accuracy. If I had gotten a bad one, I'd probably have a pretty low opinion of them too. Mine's no target rifle, but it's really not bad. I haven't shot it much in recent years.

It's inevitable to compare the Mini to the AR. Back in the day, the Mini was half the price of the AR; now it's the opposite. If you're comparing the two for the strictly practical reasons of a rifle like this, including price, then the AR wins hands down, no contest.

If you like the Mini for what it is, and get one that shoots decent, then they're a neat little rifle. Magazine cost, for example, is irrelevant to me. I have no intention of ever using it as a combat rifle, so two or three factory 20 round magazines ($20 each), along with the 5 round that came with it, is a lifetime supply. Having a huge pile of mags for it, for me, would just be a big waste of space and money, no matter what they cost.

I've had the 5.56 and the 7.62. Also had the AC-556 at one time. The only time I've ever burnt myself on a gun barrel. Not MOA guns, but as has been said the newer ones out perform the older ones due to reduced barrel whip. They look cool and are a lot of fun to shoot, and for me point more naturally than my ARs.

If they had not been priced out of reach pricing versus other options I'd still be considering one. I still like these little carbines, but I think my chances of owning one are dwindling each time their prices increase. I feel like Ruger used to produce these in large quantities, but now the AR they make us the hot rage so these likely get limited runs and the demand has definitely dwindled away so naturally they are more expensive now!

If they had not been priced out of reach pricing versus other options I'd still be considering one. I still like these little carbines, but I think my chances of owning one are dwindling each time their prices increase. I feel like Ruger used to produce these in large quantities, but now the AR they make us the hot rage so these likely get limited runs and the demand has definitely dwindled away so naturally they are more expensive now!
They used to land on the surplus market occasionally.
Rural PDs and sheriffs might still have some in inventory.
Prison guard towers probably won't ever need to sell them off, but you never know.

In Wash. state, there are potential legal benefits from owning a Mini-14 vs. an AR. Given, legislative proposals wander all over the place. But the last purely "assault rifle" ban that was under consideration in the Wash. state legislature did not include most Mini-14's. This proposal was put up for 2020, carried over to 2021 but in neither session did it proceed to a vote.

The 2021 version of this legislation was SB5217/HB1229. Which very well may be put forth again in 2022. It consists of a list of specific firearms, plus a list of defining characteristics. The Ruger Mini-14 wasn't on the list. With a full-length stock, it would not have possessed characteristics that made it an "assault rifle." With a folding stock, it would've been counted as a "copycat weapon" subject to the proposed legislation.

If my reading of the above is correct, a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A could be exempted if the flash suppressor was replaced with the "New York style" front sight fixture that replaces it. It would remain to be seen if the AG's office would rule on having it tack welded in place as in NY, to comply with the "no threads on the muzzle of the barrel" provision.

This proposal is aimed straight at AR's. The characteristics outlined say, if the weapon has a detachable magazine, AND any of the following features. A list of largely AR-type features follows but takes in anything with a flash suppressor. If the only offending feature is the detachable mag, it's okay. Under the proposal mentioned above, who knows what final legislation might contain.

As to the original question, I've owned a few Mini-14's in .223. When they were reasonably priced, I felt they were acceptable as a utility rifle. None that I had were tack drivers but they weren't designed as match rifles, either. They were perfectly functional and reliable.

I don't know that they are unreasonably priced these days, either, as the prices of everything have gone up.