JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was one of the proto-paranoiacs who bought HK91s back in the 70s and 80s. They were over $400 then! I have accessorized the 91 and all it needs is some Williams trigger work. As to mags, I snagged a buncha Bundeswehr surplus 20s some years back. Like $10 each or some ridiculously cheap price. Too bad HK93s are out of print.
IMG_2738.JPG

And you don't think it's a great safety?

I am simply speechless.
I prefer the ak platform to any others currently, but loathe the safety.
Ar safety is okay, but definitely not my favorite.
Opinions are my own.

It is workable but not ideal.

I want to be able to unsafe my weapon without my finger in the trigger guard. When it comes down to weapon manipulation, I want my trigger finger to have exactly one job, pull the trigger.

The AK roots are from the Garand and StG 44.

I was one of the proto-paranoiacs who bought HK91s back in the 70s and 80s. They were over $400 then! I have accessorized the 91 and all it needs is some Williams trigger work. As to mags, I snagged a buncha Bundeswehr surplus 20s some years back. Like $10 each or some ridiculously cheap price. Too bad HK93s are out of print.
View attachment 877539

I tried, but could not find one during the panic back then and lost interest with today's prices, but yeah, G3 family is awesome. I really wanted a Galil ARM .308, but same thing, not available at the time, so I got my M1a.

Have owned a Mini 30 for several years now. Shoots reliably both brass and steel ammo. I prefer Silver Bear ammo. Was cheap but still is reliable. No fancy sights just stock ones and it will give a respectable MOA at 200 yards every time. It will shoot 300 yards better than I can aim it unless sand bagged. 12 inch gong at 300 yards was never a problem.

Also, if you live in Oregon and the whack job extreme AR with pistol grip ban initiative proposal manages to get on a future ballot and pass, guess which semi auto centerfire rifle with a 10 round mag can be owned. Mini 14 with factory stock.

I have three new ones circa Hillary/Trump era elections. All 223/5.56. All work like a champ. For shooting beyond 100 yards go for AR 15. Mini-14 handle like great, are fun, and super for defense inside 100. No complaints. Mags are about $30 when I purchased mine.

As stated the older ones were not a target rifle, the Ranch rifles are what you want. I've had both the 14's and the 30's over the years and both have been fine. Lots of friends and even my brother have taken deer with them the latest with a 30. Loaded up some 7.62x39 with Hornady SST's for the brother to try out. A lot of the accuracy issues stem from what you run through them just like any other rifle.

View attachment 877402
Won't lie, this post definitely helps with the idea of getting the 7.62 instead!

Older 223 versions were not great for accuracy. I have had a couple of the 58x series 5.56 models, a Ranch in wood and a Tactical in stainless, I really wish I would have kept them. Both of them felt great, shot great and had no problems. My Ranch had a Leupold VX2 2.5-8x on it and I shot a lot of coyotes with it, and on paper was a ruffly MOA rifle.

Yes, mags are spendy and only factory mags are worth buying.

Yes, aftermarket is limited, but honestly, for what they are, stock is about perfect.

The only reason I don't have one is because prices have gotten crazy, if I found a 58x series for under $650 I would buy it. Hell, I would trade my favorite AR for one if it came with a bunch of mags.

Whut everybody else already said. I prefer the AR platform but wouldn't refuse a mini if I needed to protect myself or my family. They aren't all skeery looking with the 5 round mag which may have some advantages. I prefer the look of wood and blued steel to steel and plastic.

Traded my 181 series ranch for a Ruger AR556 and haven't regretted it, especially since I bought the ranch new for just a bit over $200 back in the day, so it was win/win for both of us.

They really need a full-length heavy barrel, with the gas block enlarged to suit. I think that accuracy complaints would disappear. Actually, some of the pencil barrel (GB etc.) models had very good accuracy, as the mid-barrel weight worked to dampen harmonics.

Last year, I emailed Ruger to suggest a trigger and guard more suited to pistol grips. The current unit is designed to be addressed from above, as that is the ergonomics of the wood stock. However, pistol grips lower the hand to where it addresses the trigger and guard from behind and slightly below. I suggested that a re-curved trigger be sold as an accessory. Not holding breath here.

However, love or hate, they are not languishing on dealer's shelves. Thus, Ruger has little incentive to go full-HB on them.

Bottom line: hate 'em? Don't buy one. Simple.

My first and only one was a project that I sent to Revelation Arms back in the mid 90's. Had them install an AK underfolder on the stock, cut and crown barrel, silver soldered a Choate flash hider/front sight similar to a M-14/M1A.... it ran great with only factory mags.

Seen it for a couple of years floating around the Portland Gun Show back in the day going from table to table. Almost bought it for $40 less than what I sold it for but just couldn't pull the trigger on it ;)

SF-