JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some reason I have struck with a liking for these little things.

I have very little experience with them. Only having shot a friends some 10-12 years ago back in NV.

What thoughts do those that own them have?

I honestly like the thought of the 7.62 model, though that means getting back into that caliber. Perhaps just the 556 model.

Great looking and light weight little rifles.

Overpriced, inaccurate, expensive magazines and nowhere near the amount of aftermarket parts availability compared to an AR15
I've heard that the older ones were minute of barn. Newer ones though seem to be pretty decent.

I had a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. One of the worst purchases I ever made. Expensive rifle with expensive magazines. Once the barrel heats up (which doesn't take much) forget about any kind of accuracy. The stock trigger is heavy. The rear sight is plastic or soft metal garbage, and it's easy to strip the threads. For that kind of money they need to include a Garand/M14 style of rear sight, IMO.

I sold mine for a big loss $$$ to another forum member.

A budget AR will run circles around the Mini-14. The space inside a gun safe is valuable real estate, I don't keep rifles that can't perform, unless they are old war horses.

If you like the look and feel of the Mini 14, spend the extra bucks if possible, cry once and buy once... Springfield M1A

Here is mine, the Scout version, I love this chonky beast, dozens of firearms and I rank this as one of my favorites to shoot.

IMG_20190614_210104_2.jpg

You will find huge differences of opinion between folks that hate 'em, and those that very much like them. I'm of the very much like them crowd.

I've owned a bunch of them, in both .30 and 5.56 configurations.

Shot a bunch of them. Owned a few. Completely random thoughts:

• They weren't all that expensive back in the day. They can't be as cost effective as an AR now.
  • Accuracy ranged from really bad to just fine, in my experience, depending on the rifle. The last one I owned was more than acceptable.
  • Every one I ever shot was rock solid reliable with pretty much anything I fed it.
  • Ruger OEMs (5, 20, or 30s) and 20-round steel (not plastic) ProMags ran like a top. I had a couple 10s too, which I forget the make, that were fine. All of them cost more than STANAG or AK magazines.
  • Aftermarket parts are not as extensive as the AR platform, but there are plenty of options to customize your rifle.
  • Ruger's support is excellent.
  • Running suppressed is decidedly unpleasant, at least with the setup I had.
  • The registered AC-556s that can still be found are a fun option, but they've gone way up in price, and Ruger will no longer service them like they did some years back. (Ruger used to do a complete servicing for just $200. Now, as I understand it, they won't do work on them at all.).
All and all, not a bad carbine for what they are; maybe a decent "truck gun". But there is nothing a decent AR can't just as well or better. If I was still interested in all things "pews" I probably would still find them neat-o, but that is no longer the case, and the last Mini I owned was sold a year or so ago. YMMV.

P.S. Since it was mentioned; second the M1A, but the short barreled version. Better rifle all around, more accurate, more potent cartridge, good parts options, but same styling.

Last Edited:
Shot a bunch of them. Owned a few. Completely random thoughts:

• They weren't all that expensive back in the day. They can't be as cost effective as an AR now.
  • Accuracy ranged from really bad to just fine, in my experience, depending on the rifle. The last one I owned was more than acceptable.
  • Every one I ever shot was rock solid reliable with pretty much anything I fed it.
  • Ruger OEMs (5, 10, or 30s) and 20-round steel (not plastic) ProMags ran like a top. I had a couple 10s too, which I forget the make, that were fine. All of them cost more than STANAG or AK magazines.
  • Aftermarket parts are not as extensive as the AR platform, but there are plenty of options to customize your rifle.
  • Ruger's support is excellent.
  • Running suppressed is decidedly unpleasant, at least with the setup I had.
  • The registered AC-556s that can still be found are a fun option, but they've gone way up in price, and Ruger will no longer service them like they did some years back. (Ruger used to do a complete servicing for just $200. Now, as I understand it, they won't do work on them at all.).
All and all, not a bad carbine for what they are; maybe a decent "truck gun". But there is nothing a decent AR can't just as well or better. If I was still interested in all things "pews" I probably would still find them neat-o, but that is no longer the case, and the last Mini I owned was sold a year or so ago. YMMV.

P.S. Since it was mentioned; second the M1A, but the short barreled version. Better rifle all around, more accurate, more potent cartridge, good parts options, but same styling.
The SOCOM version or the Tanker version would suit him well. I went with the Scout just due the balisitics of the .308 loving a slightly longer barrel when pushing out the yardage.

Some reason I have struck with a liking for these little things.

I have very little experience with them. Only having shot a friends some 10-12 years ago back in NV.

What thoughts do those that own them have?

I honestly like the thought of the 7.62 model, though that means getting back into that caliber. Perhaps just the 556 model.

Great looking and light weight little rifles.
I always loved the way they looked. Back when they were half the cost of a base AR I tried real hard to like the way they worked. I gave up. I too have heard they finally figured out how to keep them from throwing patterns instead of groups but I have not seen anyone with one in a hell of a long time. If you want one in .223 look at the cost of mags first. If you want one in 7.62 look at both the cost of mags and the cost of base AK's. They have always had one hell of a following. Even when the price of the Mini reversed to where now the AR was FAR cheaper there was always a market for them. So I guess one thing they have going for them is if you decide you do not like it there is no end to the people who will want to take it off your hands :s0092:

i dunno, i like mine. Shoots anything, will shoot 1 1/2" groups scoped ( leupold 3x9). Fun to shoot. If the the price is right its a good option to own. It has some quirks but like the mags but I am not embarrassed to own one and take it and have fun. I got a bunch of mage before they got expensive I guess.

Love mine. Had older 188's in the beginning but never relied on it to be a sharpshooter. But they were indestructible.
Have the latest now and couldn't be happier. 1 1/2 moa with PMC 223.

Ive always liked the look of the mini. Then again Ive always liked Garands and M1A's.
Last year (maybe the year before?) I was on a mission to buy one. Stopped at a local pawn shop. Found a 2018 "tactical" model (factory flash hider installed, thats all), they were asking $650 I got it for $400 flat. For $400, its a great rifle and Ill never sell it. If you find one for $650 go for it.
At $800-$1k.. thats a joke dont even bother. Mag costs are another laughing matter.. but the promag 10 & 20rnd mags do work very well at half the cost.

As stated above, Its minute of milk jug, but eats all kinds of ammo. My eyes dont like irons anymore.. so I did mount an optic and with that, I can hit pie plates all day. Im still playing with the idea of an accustrut however my accuracy has been decent enough to not warrant the investment.

Mainly, its a 5.56 alternative rifle. ARs are great but they get boring, so between a mini and an M85 pistol.. I have my 5.56 alternatives squared away when I want to shoot something different.. unless I can snag a C93 again.

Interesting to hear that they were once a lot less expensive. Current prices aside, I'd say $400-$600 seems reasonable for a rifle like this.

The woods stocked ones just look good. The stainless one with the polymer stock isn't too hurtful to the eyes either.