JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had one of these and loved it. Hopefully Ruger smoothed out some of the rough edges and put the sights on straight.
CHF barrel with threads. SS heat treated internals. I don't know if Marlin/Rem used MIM or not for internals, but I would hope the parts could be interchangeable and that Ruger would allow to sell parts if we needed to. I have an SBL - have not shot it but a few times.

The article I linked to has more detail, but this one shows what appears to be spiral fluting on the bolt? No mention of it though.

Here is a photo from another article that does mention it in the caption for the photo:

20211205_SONY0234.00_04_27_09.Still008.jpg

Nice touch.

I would like to see the same rifle with a black nitride finish on top of the stainless. Maybe with some bare stainless highlights here and there (like the trigger & hammer, screws, buttons, loading gate, forend cap, bolt)?

I already have an 1895 SBL, and I doubt I would buy another, as I like mine, but I could maybe be tempted if they came out with a special edition black nitride version, or maybe one in .460 mag (I doubt Ruger ever will make anything in .460 Mag).

The article I linked to has more detail, but this one shows what appears to be spiral fluting on the bolt? No mention of it though.

Here is a photo from another article that does mention it in the caption for the photo:

View attachment 1094052

Nice touch.

I would like to see the same rifle with a black nitride finish on top of the stainless. Maybe with some bare stainless highlights here and there (like the trigger & hammer, screws, buttons, loading gate, forend cap, bolt)?

I already have an 1895 SBL, and I doubt I would buy another, as I like mine, but I could maybe be tempted if they came out with a special edition black nitride version, or maybe one in .460 mag (I doubt Ruger ever will make anything in .460 Mag).
I believe it was fluted before as well, but I'm not sure if it was a spiral.

In the March American Rifeman is a great article on what Ruger went through to acquire Marlin, the move of the Marlin's plant equipment, installing the equipment in the new plant and modifications undertaken to improve Marlin rifles.

In the March American Rifeman is a great article on what Ruger went through to acquire Marlin, the move of the Marlin's plant equipment, installing the equipment in the new plant and modifications undertaken to improve Marlin rifles.
And it was a fire drill the whole way. A book could be written - and may be. Race against the snowman, go find what's Marlin's in the whole Remington mess, find out that Marlin still used some WWII era tooling and machines (worn out), follow enviro laws to disconnect, drain and move it. Fit it all through a gap in a brick wall - downhill - truck it all a few states away, figure out what makes what, check the drawings, set it all up, figure out how to make parts actually interchangeable, make hammer-forged barrels, switch to heat treating the receiver and levers before machining to maintain tolerances (lotta cutters used there) and use some old wood, sell some bad wood, buy some new wood and on and on. It's near miraculous that Marlin was not sent to scrap yards, but has a new, well-financed life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top