JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been working with, and on Ruger Mark pistols for 50 years now. I don't mean to present any of the following as being a bragging a-hole who doesn't know diarrhea from good home made beef gravy. I've worked on every version of the Ruger Mark pistol, and I don't believe in the old adage about, "If it ain't broke leave it alone", I'm of the opinion that "If it ain't broke, let's improve that gun".

The Ruger Mark .22 rimfire pistols are some of the finest made guns that have ever been produced. Sure, they do have some quirks, but the remedies are easily rectified. I have personally and have had, other trusted pistol shooters verify all of the aftermarket parts that I use and stock. If they don't pass muster, you'll never see them on my web-site store. If they don't work in my Ruger Mark pistols, those parts will NEVER be endorsed.

Last Edited:
Very interesting Ruger Mark pistol smith. Welcome aboard. :rolleyes: Who doesn't own a Mark Pistol?
I like to spend money to make my pistols better shooters.:p
DSC00207.JPG

l am completely satisfied with my Mark l. l did install the Volquartzen trigger myself and it was worth every penny. l did the same for my 10 22.

Curious questions, here. Not meaning to be "that guy", but in various competitions watching my competitors, I have observed an awful lot of what I call " the Ruger Shuffle"... where the shooter gets yet another ftf/fte, pops the mag, and rapidly cycles the bolt, trying to get back in the game. If I'm honest, I've probably formed a negative opinion of these guns, but like anything else, I expect they can be made to run right. In your opinion, what would be the top three causes? A lot of these folks seem to be using good ammo, like CCI. I tend to think its gummy lube, but that's just a guess. Lots of cold weather matches here.

Curious questions, here. Not meaning to be "that guy", but in various competitions watching my competitors, I have observed an awful lot of what I call " the Ruger Shuffle"... where the shooter gets yet another ftf/fte, pops the mag, and rapidly cycles the bolt, trying to get back in the game. If I'm honest, I've probably formed a negative opinion of these guns, but like anything else, I expect they can be made to run right. In your opinion, what would be the top three causes? A lot of these folks seem to be using good ammo, like CCI. I tend to think its gummy lube, but that's just a guess. Lots of cold weather matches here.
Volquartsen or Tademkross Extractor

Very interesting Ruger Mark pistol smith. Welcome aboard. :rolleyes: Who doesn't own a Mark Pistol?
I like to spend money to make my pistols better shooters.:p
View attachment 657347

From what those posted targets show, looks like you're on the winning track. :)
Right you are. I own several myself. And welcome over from RimfireCentral.

RimfireCentral and I have gone in different directions. Some of the posts there these days are downright ridiculous, and if you question the poster and his methodology, it's now called "bickering" and that's a no no. ;) So, I no longer quarrel or hurt some posters feelings. :)

Had Mk's, II's, III's - and now a Mk IV Hunter 40 years since the first.
I'm just a hobbyist - but I think this is *one* of my most favorite firearms.
Found the huge grips suit me well. VVenom dot because I'm blind... VQ trigger and internals.

My neighborhood range is 50' only. Federal Match .22 (The slow 800 fps stuff.)

RugerMK4.JPG target.JPG

Magazines: Ruger doesn't make their magazines, those are farmed out to Mec-Gar in Italy. Plain and simple, they're stamped out from sheet metal. Try this on your magazines feed lips and the follower button track on the left side of the magazine. Run that cotton swab along those edges to see how many cotton fibers are pulled off that swab. Some of those edges are sharp and will draw blood. If you are having brass dust accumulating in your pistols receiver, that's coming off the side of the cartridge being fed from the rough feed lips. All my Ruger Mark pistol magazines have been smoothed up and run real well.
Extractors: Since 1949, Ruger has been using the very same extractor design, even in the Ruger Mark IV. This is also a stamped part, made by the thousands. The bottom side of the extractor has sharp edges of smeared metal as the die comes down and shears it into shape:
VTp1Nbsl.jpg
I have tested every aftermarket replacement extractor that has been, and still being offered. Seven aftermarket extractors? Seems to me there's a message there.
Those sharp bottom edges will pick up crapola in short order and it will build up on the extractor, its plunger and spring and then it's difficult for the extractor to exercise through its intended job. The extractor may not be able to carry the spent case backward until the ejector can kick it out, and stove-piping will occur. There's only one extractor that I now work with, because they work with me.
Smooth Operation: It costs extra dollars for any firearms manufacturer to deburr machined and stamped parts. If you've ever handle an older Colt Python, you know what smooth operation is.
All the Ruger Mark .22 pistols that I use for serious speed shooting and bullseye work have been smooth and tuned internally. Chamber mouths have that back edge polished to a tiny radius that doesn't impeded a round from getting to where it needs to be. All activating plungers are polished along with the disco, hammer, and a target sear from Volquartsen. This is the stuff involved with getting your Ruger Mark pistol much better than as it arrived to your safe.
Ammunition: For my Ruger pistols I use nothing but Standard velocity, like SK, Wolf Match, CCI Standard. All of the ammunition I purchase if first tested in this contraption:
XrJ9CBYl.jpg
If the groups don't meet certain criteria at 35 meters, when held in this Ransom Rest, they never see the inside of the magazines on these two for anything serious:
OZ5MEaAl.jpg

I too have been a lifetime fanboy of the MK's. First hand gun I ever bought myself was a well used MK, original. Damn thing had already had a car load of ammo run down it and I did the same. Often wish I could have that one back just for the memories. When I met the Wife she did not shoot but was interested. Bought a MkII 22/45 to teach her over 25 years ago. Still take that one to the range a lot to play with and still love it even though the iron sights don't work well for me any more. MKIV is hands down favorite. Whoever came up with that design deserves to have gotten rich off it. Only MK I ever had I hated was the III. It was always a PITA. There was a work around for the stupid mag safety which is what caused me so much trouble but never got around to trying it. Someone wanted the receiver for a project so I was glad to let it walk and sold the parts. They make a ton of these a year so of course now and then problems slip past. Its normally an easy fix but of course some don't try, they just condemn the design <shrug>.

My first gun was a 22/45 bull barrel that my girlfriend had to purchase for me as I was too young (shh, don't tell). That was 1999, and we've been married for ages since then. This thing has given very little trouble, mainly caused by me.
BTW, welcome to this place @SGW Gunsmith !!!

@SGW Gunsmith , Thank you for the information! This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm enjoying learning, and a lot of it applies to other guns, as well.

Now I'm curious to pull some extractors on my other pistols, and see if they have those burrs. Any advice on who sells good quality punches and roll pin punches? I have some from Walker, but they seem like the metal bends a little too easily.

[/Quote]
Smooth Operation: It costs extra dollars for any firearms manufacturer to deburr machined and stamped parts. If you've ever handle an older Colt Python, you know what smooth operation is.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, man! Those Pythons are a sweet example of smooth. I got to shoot one a friend had way back when, and pulling through the double action was the slickest I've ever felt.

I've always enjoyed accurizing the Ruger MK pistols. Allot of folks don't realize just how accurate.
I enjoy seeing the older pistols that Jim Clark worked on. And now these days seeing the bigger custom shops take off with mass produced parts that are almost drop in.

I have always been impressed with the MK series, and especially the new MK-IV, stock outta the box, it ran flawlessly and there was no need to make improvements, BUT, with such aftermarket options, it was impossible to resist customizing it to make it "Mine" and so, I have and it really rocks! I have a MK-2 Stainless target that was always my go to for plinkin or other fun, the new MK-IV has usurped it and is now my fav to play with! Did I say it was accurate, Scary would be the best term, I wish the rest of my pistols were this good! :cool:

I've owned the Mark III stainless bull barrel, for 15 years, great gun, but I am ashamed to say, I still don't know how to take it apart. LOL

Started with a Ruger standard at 4 years old. Still have her and she still runs flawlessly (until dirty like all of them).

D5737B26-F3D6-47CE-AABF-72C6C8D0AF76.jpeg

Now I also have a MK3 hunter that I did all of the accurizing stuff too. Just need a red dot and I'll be done. It'll shoot the balls off a fly as is though:D

6400CFA7-C762-4BEE-A652-AEDB6F53093F.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads