JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just getting started in Precision Pistol (a.k.a. Bullseye Pistol). The rules include a minimum trigger pull of 2.5 lbs for .22s. My Ruger Mark IV Hunter already has the Volquartsen Accurizing kit but it's at 1.75 lbs. Tandemkross lists a kit but it's rated below 2.5 lbs. Neither the Tandemkross nor Volquartsen triggers have adjustable pulls. Looking for an option which will be compliant with the 2.5lb rule. Apex Competition does have a kit rated at 3 lbs but they're all sold out.

If your going by NRA rulles the 22 pistol can have a 2lb + pull and the 45 auto is 2.5lbs

3.4 .22 Caliber Pistol or Revolver – The .22 caliber pistol or revolver, as described below shall be used in the .22 caliber precision pistol matches. Any pistol (single shot or semi-automatic) or revolver chambered for .22 caliber rim-fire long rifle may be used; barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches. Trigger pull not less than 2 pounds. Any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Open (metallic) sights may be adjustable but not over 10 inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. All operational safety features of the firearm must operate properly.
3.5 Any Center Fire Pistol or Revolver – The center fire pistol or revolver, as described below shall be used in the Center Fire Precision Pistol matches. Center-fire pistols (single shot or semi-automatic)) or revolvers of .32 caliber or larger (including 7.65 mm and .45 caliber pistols and revolvers); barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches; trigger pull not less than 2 1/2 pounds, except.45 caliber semiautomatic pistols not less than 3 1/2 pounds. Any Sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Open (metallic) sights may be adjustable but not over 10 inches apart measured from the apex of the rear sight to the apex of the front sight. Any sighting device programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. All operational safety features of the firearm must function properly. Programs may specify particular calibers of types of Center Fire guns that will be permitted or not permitted in stated event. 3.6 Any .45 Caliber Semi-automatic Pistol or Revolver

I have not. What would be the final combination of VQ and factory parts?
I don't know. I'm not totally familiar with the VQ accurizing kit. May take some trial and error which is time consuming and tedious. I'd try one spring at a time until I reached the intended pull weight.

Thanks for the correction and all the responses. Maybe the Volquartsen or Tandemkross would work. Now I need to figure out why my Volquartsen is so light.

If you replaced your trigger reset spring with a lighter spring, go back to the Ruger factory one. I prefer a 2 - 2.5 trigger pull. After installing a Volquartsen kit in my MKIII, it was just under 2. I put the factory trigger reset spring back in and it bumped the pull weight up 5 ounces to 2.3.

If you replaced your trigger reset spring with a lighter spring, go back to the Ruger factory one. I prefer a 2 - 2.5 trigger pull. After installing a Volquartsen kit in my MKIII, it was just under 2. I put the factory trigger reset spring back in and it bumped the pull weight up 5 ounces to 2.3.
Agree. It's been several years since I was tinkering inside the MK series, but I'd start with reinstalling the factory trigger return spring and see if that got you what you need.

Again, thanks for responses. Ill' try the reset spring suggestions (if I saved the old parts). Tried the trigger weight scale against a known weight and it appears to read low a little. Maybe 1/8th lb off. The trigger was maybe 1/4 lb off so not enough to get it up to 2 lbs.

Another Update: I had used a mechanical spring type trigger gauge. Decided to use something closer to the actual weighing technique. Filled a bucket until it weighed 2 lbs. Bent a hook from coathanger wire to hook on the trigger. Was able to lift the 2 lb bucket. Took another 4 - 6 oz to get it to break. That mechanical gauge is actually somewhat accurate in the 4-5 lb range but obviously not at lower weights.

What did the trigger gauge show with the 2# bucket?
Sorry for the delayed response.
Back to square one. It has the Volquartsen accurizing kit. If you're familiar with that kit, the trigger has an overtravel adjustment screw right in the middle of the trigger. Tried to keep the hook always centered over that screw for consistency. Redid the 2# bucket deal. This time it would just barely lift to where a piece of paper could be pulled out from under the bucket. The mechanical trigger scale weighed the bucket at 2 1/4 lbs. The mechanical trigger scale said the trigger weighed 2 3/8 lbs. All different results from before and not in complete agreement. Granted, spring powered fish scales are not known for high accuracy. I'm pretty sure it will pass when weighed for a match, but I'm keeping the original springs just in case.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top