JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kind of all in how much do you want to spend? I have a couple CHEAP TRS-25's I have used for years. Bought some very cheap quick mounts so I can slap them on and off and they work great for me. You can find some a little cheaper than these or that cost many times what these cost.

Vortex Venom 3moa

Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot Sights https://a.co/d/cDF7bEr

I'll probably remove the rail and sights and put a mounting plate on the back to drop the red dot (plates about $40), but I haven't got around to it.

2C65F79E-55BF-4650-82C2-2085B192377B.jpeg

I've got a C-more with mount in the classifieds. works great on my mark IV, I'm just switching to green dots.
XHw084v.jpg

Last Edited:
I have a Vortex Venom 3 moa on one of mine and really wish I'd selected the 6 moa. The tiny dot is pretty small to acquire at speed is my only complaint. At distance, the small dot works really well.

Wanting to put a red dot on my Mark IV .22lr pistol. Any advice on personal use and which MOA dot you would recommend.

Thanks in advance
OP, Lots of good advice on brands and models.
As for MOA dot size, I suggest the following…
IF your anticipated use is mainly slow fire (for accuracy), either off-hand or rested, I'd suggest a smaller dot. 2.5 up to 4 or 5. This will allow the precision you might be chasing…just don't go too cheap on the model, as you'll want good intensity of light so that you can see the smaller dot in sunlight.
IF you are using this for speed shooting, quick target acquisition, Speed Steel competition etc, then a larger dot is definitely your friend. Like 11 MOA
You'll give up some accuracy (the big dot covers most of a small target) but your speed and hit-rate will increase significantly. Intensity of light is less-important as the sheer size of the dot makes it easier to see.
You can always compromise with a 6 MOA or something near to that, but then you're…compromising.
It boils down to what you're trying to accomplish with the pistol and optic.
But regardless get something good, or at least decent.
Good luck

Last Edited:
I was recently at NW Armory picking up another Ruger MK4 22/45 target and noticed some new MK4 22/45 Lite models. They came factory equipped with a low mounted red dot an no front sight.

If you can live without iron's, then that type of setup makes the most sense. Also, by having the red dot low mounted on the upper, gives a less bulky and more clean look. While normally not an issue, a low mounted red dot sitting directly over the ejection port could cause malfunctions from ejecting brass hitting the mounting plate and bouncing back into the chamber. I had a setup where that happened.

My C-More's are primarily for shooting at steel or steel matches, so a 6 moa works perfect for me. I've shot matches with a 3 moa and found that to be too small for my liking. @Meridian7750 gave good advise above and agree that choosing a dot size really comes down to the intended type of shooing you are going to be partaking in.

I'll also add that getting your hands (eyeballs) on as many different brand of red dots and dot sizes will be extremely beneficial. Nothing worse than plunking down $200 to $300 or more on a red dot only to find out it's not going to work for you. An easy way to accomplish that is to find a local match like steel challenge, IDPA OR USPSA and see what type of red dots folks are running. Nearly everyone will be happy to "show off" their chosen red dot or anything else gun or gun related. 🤣

I settled on C-More after spending some time shooting at local speed steel matches and picking the brains of my fellow squad mates…….

Example of the new version Ruger's.

An aftermarket plate would get the red dot even lower then what Ruger used in the link above.

Last Edited:
That setup is perfectly serviceable. Getting the red dot lower will help with dot acquisition though as that would more closely match a red dot setup on say like a Glock, S&W, Sig, etc. Just boils down to your personal preference.

Check out this link for various mounts and red dot setups. He's got nice pics and details.

More useful info.

Last Edited:
This will be my set-up. Are you suggesting I remove rail and sights and mount to barrel to give it a lower profile?

View attachment 1360712
Something else I haven't seen put a certain way is that when you zero with a rail, the more the distance from zero changes the more your dot is going to be off (either up or down) so as close to the barrel gives you a larger distance difference before you will be as far off target.

I went with a 3moa because I wanted to be able to shoot further at times but this will also be a steel match gun so I guess if I hate it then I'll be getting another one in 6moa and one of my rifles will get a new 45 degree offset mount lol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top