JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you go with?

• Ruger Mark IV 22/45

• Ruger Mark IV Target

• Ruger Mark IV Lite

• S&W Victory

• Browning Buckmark

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a 22/45 Mk4 5.5in barrel and a lite version for my 14yr old daughter.

Do you like the bull barrel on the 22/45 more than the lite?

I just went in and held both I definitely don't like the Luger style target grip. Now I'm just torn do I go with the base 22/45 or 22/45 lite. I think that one inch barrel length and heavier pistol might make more sense as an accuracy thing. But the lite does look great, maybe adding a compensator would deal with weight counter balance and barrel length.

Does anyone get the feeling that the light is less accurate than the bull barrel?

The target version is going to be the better option for long term accuracy and longevity.
The Lite has an extremely thin barrel compared to the target version.

If you family dynamic includes young children/grand children, then the Lite would make the most sense. Now of course that's going off the assumption that they would be shooting from a standing, unsupported shooting position. If the majority of the shooting will be taking place from a bench, then The Lite loses much of it's appeal and the target version would be the best bet.

Also, my daughter and I much prefer the 1911 grip of the 22/45. No way I'd own the standard grip. I will also add that if you or someone in your family is a lefty, choosing the MK4 is with it just for the ambi safety alone.

The main reason for me buying the MK4, was to replace my victory. I shoot monthly speed steel matches and a few years ago they changed the rules to state that all firearms needed to start every stage with the safety engaged. Bummer.:(

As the Victory is a right handed affair only, the MK4 saved the day. 95% of the time I shoot my PCC, but with the way ammo prices are now, I'll be dusting off the cobwebs on the MK4 and bringing it out of retirement!

In closing, you WILL end up with both versions at some point anyway. Also my above offer still stands....;)

Last Edited:
...If you family dynamic includes young children/grand children, then the Lite would make the most sense. Now of course that's going off the assumption that they would be shooting from a standing, unsupported shooting position. If the majority of the shooting will be taking place from a bench, then The Lite loses much of it's appeal and the target version would be the best bet.

Also, my daughter and I much prefer the 1911 grip of the 22/45. No way I'd own the standard grip..
The above are my feelings as well. While I have other .22 pistols (S&W and Rugers), the one that gets taken to the range the most is the 22/45 lite. I strongly favor the 22/45 grip angle, I very much like the light weight, and it's easy to breakdown for cleaning. I rarely shoot for groups anymore (unless that's the only option at the particular range). These days I much prefer reactive targets when possible. Youngsters in particular almost always get a kick out of reactive targets.

That said, I would consider installing the halo ring right off the bat, as nothing dampens a young shooters spirits more than getting their finger skin pinched when closing the bolt, or experiencing difficulty grasping the bolt to charge the gun. Yes, I know, they shouldn't be riding the bolt forward.

I think i'm going with the stock 22/45 (not lite or target), with the bull barrel. It's the right grip, and weight/accuracy i'm looking for.
1594841671067.png

Last chance to convince me otherwise :D

And huge thanks for everyone's help! Gained a lot of information.

Also, If you are into red dots, then you really should get a mount and slap one on!

This is why I chose this model. I figured it gives me what I want, but offers lots of growth (money pit) options. I really want to get the kids used to iron sights as a good platform initially (might put an optic sight on the front, not a fan of black).

I will definitely get the Halo. Thanks.

I've shot quite a few of the Ruger 22/45 Lite versions, and for me, the muzzle bounces around a bit too much when shooting 'em. My favorite pistol to carry around our "empire" is a Ruger Mark III Hunter version:
Ij6ILSUl.jpg
This pistol is more fun than anyone should be allowed to have with their clothes still on.

This is why I chose this model. I figured it gives me what I want, but offers lots of growth (money pit) options. I really want to get the kids used to iron sights as a good platform initially (might put an optic sight on the front, not a fan of black).

I will definitely get the Halo. Thanks.

Seems lots of folks , at least the "Boomer" crowd are not too enamored with the black on black sights any longer. Just too dang hard to see with a dark background such as black bullseye targets. the fiber optic sights depend wholly on good overhead lighting. The sights with the blaze orange insert are more easily acquired, even in low light:

OCnNpCel.jpg

Back in the day, when cops were still allowed to be cops, many of them down in southeastern Wisconsin preferred these sight inserts installed on their Smith & Wesson Model 19 and 28 revolvers, especially when they were in a dark alley.

Whatever you do, make sure the barrel is already threaded for a future suppressor you may want to buy.

If not threaded, you should buy a BuckMark because you can simply change the barrel. On a Mark4 you have to change out the entire upper, which requires another background check, just to change the barrel.

I've shot quite a few of the Ruger 22/45 Lite versions, and for me, the muzzle bounces around a bit too much when shooting 'em. My favorite pistol to carry around our "empire" is a Ruger Mark III Hunter version:
View attachment 722932
This pistol is more fun than anyone should be allowed to have with their clothes still on.
I'm still kicking myself in the rear for not picking up one of these when I saw it at the LGS while I was doing a transfer on another pistol. I told myself: no box and only one mag, meh, I'll pass at $350.

Dumb dumb decision. Oh well, I have the MKIII 22/45 target to keep me occupied for now.

I fell in love with the Ruger Mk I as a kid. I went to buy a Hunter model Mk III and discovered that I hated the grip. I didn't think about the 22/45 at the time. I then thought about the take down problems and thought about changing the grip for a few weeks. Then the S&W Victory came out and I loved it, bought one of the first out. Not as cool looking as the Mk III, but I have never looked back. Then the Ruger 22/45 Mk IV solved all of my issues. I dont know which I would have bought given that choice, but am very happy with the Victory.

I voted other cuz I like the MK3 I have. SS Hunter with the longer barrel, Hogue wrap around grip for my XXL hands and VQ accurizing Kit installed.

No travel at all, mm reset and just a hoot to shoot. With an Ultimate Speed Loader I Can burn thru Ammo at an amazing rate if I'm not paying attention.

Only upgrade from here I am sure I will get around to is a red dot as I do not like the dovetail/fiber optic front combo that's on it.

0140DAEA-9BEA-45FD-93F4-666755B41ECB.jpeg

I'm still kicking myself in the rear for not picking up one of these when I saw it at the LGS while I was doing a transfer on another pistol. I told myself: no box and only one mag, meh, I'll pass at $350.

Dumb dumb decision. Oh well, I have the MKIII 22/45 target to keep me occupied for now.

I know what you mean. I passed on a distributor version with a 5½-inch barrel. I still regret that decision.

Last Edited: