JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you go with?

• Ruger Mark IV 22/45

• Ruger Mark IV Target

• Ruger Mark IV Lite

• S&W Victory

• Browning Buckmark

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
So I've been doing a lot of research trying to determine which family pistol I'd like to get for .22 target shooting at the range. It would be 99% just a family plinker (I might do a rimfire challenge competition, but with no intention of winning, just trying it out).

I'v narrowed it down to a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 or the S&W Victory.
  • All of which have a nice 5.5" long barrel that is accurate as ever.
  • I grew up shooting a buckmark, but leaning away from it just reading about the other two
  • Mark IV 22/45 huge benefit is the easy take down, proven for many years, etc. The main issue here is 'cost'. Other Mark IV's are more expensive.
  • Victory has so many nice features stock out of the box (stainless, optic sight, etc). Only reason I looked here was lower cost with more features. I heard the takedown screw can come loose while shooting.
  • Mark IV target: I think the target model is nice, but the handle is odd and heavier.
  • Mark IV lite: I like this model, but being lighter and shorter barrel seems like it would be a little less accurate and newbie friendly.

I know this comes down to personal preference, and I plan to go rent the two at a range soon. However, love to know people's thoughts (especially if you've shot multiple of them).

Last Edited:
Which ever model you chose, I'd stick with Ruger as opposed to the S&W Victory. Ruger has been doing .22 pistols for many MANY years.

I personally have a "love affair" with the HUNTER model. I love the look and especially the sights.

;)

Thanks, I agree the Hunter is a gorgeous pistol. Just concerned the 44+oz might be a bit much for younger folks or my kids. What is your take on the 22/45 grip vs the target angled grip?

Thanks, I agree the Hunter is a gorgeous pistol. Just concerned the 44+oz might be a bit much for younger folks or my kids. What is your take on the 22/45 grip vs the target angled grip?
Depends on your preferences.
The 22/45 has grip like a 1911, the other MK IV's have a grip like a P08 Luger, I prefer the feel and pointability of the P08 like grip, but your mileage may vary.
Also FYI if you are not dead set on the Hunter model the standard weighs less and will be easier for the youngins to lift. (30 oz vs the hunter at 44 0z)
That said the 22/45 lite is going to be the lightest at 25 oz.

The 22/45 is a nice trainer for a 1911. I shot one for years loved it. Sold it for some reason can't remember why.o_O
Owned several different Ruger 6 7/8" and 5.5 " Target models. In my experience Ruger builds a great pistol
with excellent warranty and lots of aftermarket parts. Dot sights are great for old eyes. My theory is if you put a dot
sight on it the 5.5 " barrel is optimum length. The Victory model is the best shooting 22 Pistol I've owned.

DSC00207.JPG

22/45 all the way!

I had the MkIV Tactical with the Luger-style grip and couldn't get used to the grip angle. Always ended up shooting my MkIII 22/45 more. Sold the MkIV to a guy on here a few months back and just ordered a new 22/45.

22/45 all the way!

I had the MkIV Tactical with the Luger-style grip and couldn't get used to the grip angle. Always ended up shooting my MkIII 22/45 more. Sold the MkIV to a guy on here a few months back and just ordered a new 22/45.

Thanks, this is what I'm thinking. I handled it (haven't shot), but the mark iv 22/45 seemed nicer for me (plus can swap the lite upper at a later time). As to the victory the only benefit is cheaper, but agree with others the Mark IV has the ability to grow (more cost), but seems longer proven. So as a long term investment the mark iv seems like the way to go. Leaning toward the 22/45 but will consider the target.

All the above convinces me I 'need' to rent them. Everyone has a good opinion of what works for them.

Thanks all for the tips.

I saw the words, "S&W Victory" and thought there might be some discussion of .38 revolvers. Really, I had no idea there was a new product called SW22 Victory. Which is a semi-auto. So I looked at the pictures. I see there is quite an assortment of them including the fancy optics. Thanks for the education.

While they are all great, I always lean to Ruger. Part of it is the LONG history of fun times with one. The other is all the easy to do parts. Anyone who wants to later upgrade one they have quite the market for them. As to which model for a first for fun, I love the LITE. Even kids can easily shoot them. The MKIV design made cleaning soooooo much easier on them all of course.

The Mark 4 target for sure. That little bit of extra weight adds a level of control and shoots "calmer" than the plastic 22/45 "lite" versions. The plastic framed 22/45 style guns don't eject the magazine with authority like the metal frame target guns do. When you make your choice post up some pics. Whichever way you go, a 22 plinker pistol is sure to be one of the funnest guns you'll ever own!

Thanks, this is what I'm thinking. I handled it (haven't shot), but the mark iv 22/45 seemed nicer for me (plus can swap the lite upper at a later time). As to the victory the only benefit is cheaper, but agree with others the Mark IV has the ability to grow (more cost), but seems longer proven. So as a long term investment the mark iv seems like the way to go. Leaning toward the 22/45 but will consider the target.

All the above convinces me I 'need' to rent them. Everyone has a good opinion of what works for them.

Thanks all for the tips.

The only benefit the standard MkIV had for me was that the lower was aluminum vs. polymer. Just ordered the 6" Volquartsen LLV upper to go on this new pistol and will swap out virtually all the internals with VQ and Tandemkross parts. It's definitely not a cheap project, but it should turn out nice!

When you say "younger folks" or "my kids" are you talking like 3-5 years old? 7-9 years old? 10-13? (you don't have to say on open forum, just something to ponder).

My 7yo grandson (who was a premie and is still very small for his age (the size of most 5yo's)) has problems wrapping his little hands around any pistol that we've taken him shooting with. Various Ruger Mark's (and AMT Lightnings :D), a little Ruger SR22 and a little .22 revolver. About the only one he can grip with any real strength and confidence is a little pocket Taurus PT708 (in .380). We wouldn't think of letting him fire a round through that any time soon.

The problem that i see with the "younger kids" is that they have a hard time grasping the concept of lining up the sights to the target. Concerns of holding 44oz (2 3/4 pounds)? Heck, he's got toys that weigh 2 times that.

If there is a huge concern with being able to hold, aim and fire, maybe buy a BB pistol and let them "practice" with that - while you are shopping for a HUNTER model. :D

As mentioned, the HUNTER seems to have a longer/slimer grip (and i like the angle better) as opposed with the 22/45's shorter grip that seems to feel a little "thicker" to me. I personally don't like the 22/45 grip or angle.

As mentioned before, your preferences may be different.

I'd suggest to buy the one you like best. As the saying goes..... buy once, cry once (just spend the money and get it). You'll be happy with it and the kids will learn to shoot whatever you teach them with - and they will love every minute of it. When they get MUCH older, they can get whatever they want. :p

One thing that i did notice when taking the grandkids shooting, punching holes in paper to get them to aim correctly is great. But get some reactive targets so they can actually see and hear something that they are shooting at. Sound and affects seem to make them smile even more.

:s0155:

A couple of summers ago, I picked up a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite for my Godson who was then 15. We mounted a Vortex Venom red dot and a TandemKross compensator and Halo Ring charger to complete the setup. He wanted to keep the pic rail on his pistol (green). After testing various shelf ammo, we learned the pistol likes Aguila STANDARD VELOCITY (blue box) best and easily puts a 1-inch group at 10 yards. With the red dot, it's stupid easy to group.

I wanted my own similar plinker and picked up the blue Mark IV 22/45 Lite. Same Vortex, TK comp and Halo Ring upgrade, but I opted to remove the pic rail and front sight to reduce weight and have a lower sight line. eBay sells filler screws for a few bucks if you want to cover the holes (BEWARE! filler screws for front sight and pic rail are different!)

Last summer, I upgraded both pistols with the Volquartsen accurizing internal kit, TK trigger, and TK rubber grip. What a difference! Even better groups!

All upgrades and red dot cost about $500, so a bit spendy... dang hobby :p

20191213_122519.jpg

Thanks all for the tips.

Rent? Hell just buy a couple of them :D

I still have an older 22/45 Target model 5 inch BBL in MKII. Bought it when I met the Wife decades back and she wanted to learn to shoot. She still loves that pistol and shoots it quite well. She had been making noise about getting the new 10inch model. I kept telling her go for it. After this panic is over will have to get her to do so. At least one (we have the old and a new 2245 LITE) goes with me weekly to the range. Always nice for some cheap fun.