JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are there conversion kits for rifles too?

I am going to assume you are referring to AR15 22lr conversion kits. To which the short answer is yes.

There are two types that I am aware of:

1. Ciener style which uses a new bolt and special magazine but utilize the rest of the AR as it is. I have never shot or owned one of these but have heard they can be picky on ammo and due to the barrel twist rate in 223/5.56 not very accurate. A 22lr ideally needs a 1 in 16 inch twist rate and most AR's are 1 in 7 to 1 in 9.

2. Dedicated 22lr upper. They are as simple as unpinning your complete lower and pinning it to the dedicated 22lr upper. Numerous manufacturers produce a dedicated 22lr upper for the AR platform. Just do some googling, read reviews and make your own decision. I own one of these from Tactical Solutions that I purchased many years ago when they first got popular. I like it and it has been 100% reliable and accurate. With all the options on the market today though I would likely go with another choice. I know CMMG makes a dedicated upper and Tactical Solutions still makes one also.

MKIV would be my first choice, the M&P 2nd and the SR22 third. All are great pistols, none would disappoint. If you ever want to modify or accessorize in any way, the MK series would probably offer the most options. I have a MK III Target, and it's my favorite .22 pistol by far.

Advantage arms conversion kit. Replaces slide and mag on glocks and is the ideal trainer for that "understudy" gun. I honestly really like the M&P 22 compact for a trainer/plinking gun. If you want a plinker that is also very accurate and reliable, 22/45 Mark IV tactical. I don't own the SR22, but if I didn't get the M&P 22C, the SR22 was my next pick. I highly recommend getting a trainer/understudy gun. Something to fill the old "kit gun" concept.

Advantage arms conversion kit. Replaces slide and mag on glocks and is the ideal trainer for that "understudy" gun. I honestly really like the M&P 22 compact for a trainer/plinking gun. If you want a plinker that is also very accurate and reliable, 22/45 Mark IV tactical. I don't own the SR22, but if I didn't get the M&P 22C, the SR22 was my next pick. I highly recommend getting a trainer/understudy gun. Something to fill the old "kit gun" concept.

I'm not sure I want to share my Glock 17 with them. I love that gun! I think I might have them do up a pro/con list and make then choose. There really wasn't anything on the negative for any of them and even s few others that could be considered.

I'm not sure I want to share my Glock 17 with them. I love that gun! I think I might have them do up a pro/con list and make then choose. There really wasn't anything on the negative for any of them and even s few others that could be considered.

If you don't want to spend the cash for a conversion for your 17 the SR is a decent trainer for other guns for the new shooter. It's both double action and single action and has more the "feel" of many larger caliber pistols. Still plenty of fun to play and learn on, and cheap to buy and use.
As mentioned if you even think you may want a can at some point in life it's a few bucks more to get one that is threaded and comes with an adapter so you can add one to it later. Wife paid the extra for hers to get it this way.

Interesting I'll have to look into that more.
Conversions are nice. I have one for AR so practice is $.036/round and not $.25. You get familiar with the weapon A lot faster..

But a new gun is always more fun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads