JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming you want something for fun, practice, maybe hunting? 22/45 MKIV is my hands down favorite. LOVE IT! Do have an SR compact (shorter barrel) that is also fun but Wife bought this for protection. The SR's are also great trainers for teaching new shooters since they are D/A.

Looking for a 22lr as a training pistol. Knew I had one teen interested in learning and once I set her up with instruction, the others started asking. I don't think we need 3 22lr so I talked them into splitting the cost and everyone using it to learn with.

Are there two versions of the Mark IV? A lite?

Looking for a 22lr as a training pistol. Knew I had one teen interested in learning and once I set her up with instruction, the others started asking. I don't think we need 3 22lr so I talked them into splitting the cost and everyone using it to learn with.

There are multiple versions of the MKIV. The one I have is a LITE and I do like it but they have several configurations in both the 22/45 version and the MKIV old style. All of them are great fun pistols anyone can shoot and have a lot of cheap fun with. Look at Rugers site and they will show all the different ways they offer these. The big advantage to the MKIV design is in cleaning. They are SOOOOO damn easy now.

I'd go with the MKlV Lite

Although I really like my Bersa 22, it's just nice in the hand. And less $$$.edit: watch the GunBlast review of this little pistol YouTube. grabagun lists three models at $250.

Last Edited:
I own a S&W M&P in 22 - because it is most closely like my Full Size M&P.

Some 22s are smaller than the guns they simulate or are apart of those families.

I shot it in Steel competitions for a while.

I vote Ruger MK4. Great pistol. The new take down button makes the older versions take down feel like rocket science.

D763B7E9-465B-4998-A256-A847CF995E16.jpeg

Hi Yvette,
It wasn't one that you mentioned, but I just picked up a Taurus TX22. I haven't shot the others that you mentioned, so can't compare them. I've put a few hundred rounds of Federal bulk ammo through it and not a hiccup. Initially shot a touch high and left. Did a quick adjustment on the adjustable sights and now is right on the money. It is a blast to shoot!! Comes with a threaded barrel. Found it online (Smokey Mountain Guns & Ammo) for $259. Taurus is doing a $50 mail in rebate. So with the transfer and bcg (A Cut Above Pawn) I'm in it for $234. I have always heard good things about the Ruger. So I'll probably eventually pick one of those up as well. . Good luck with your search.

20190723_145928.jpg

MKIV 22/45 - tactical

But, the 1911 grip angle on them may not be your thing so you can try the MKIV that's not a 22/45. Some like that Nambu grip angle better.

I suggest the tactical version as it's cheaper than the lite versions and you still get a threaded barrel.

I suggest feeling both frames though (IV and IV 22/45). Just remember they don't always like cheap .22 ammo and run smooth once a thousand+ rounds are through it.

2983A2A3-88D4-4311-8553-2F1C9CC17BAD.jpeg

I own a Ruger Mark IV, M&P 22 full size, compact and compact threaded but don't own the Ruger SR22. I have heard good things about the SR22 and a buddy has one just have not had a chance to shoot one yet.

Ruger Mark IV: I like it, accurate, easy to clean/field strip, reliable, time proven design that has been in production 50 plus years now. It does not mimic or feel like a centerfire pistol in how the controls are laid out.

S&W M&P 22lr: I like the full size, the two compacts that I own will likely become presents for nieces and nephews in a couple years. The full size feels and acts just like a centerfire M&P and is enjoyable to shoot. The compact would likely be a good choice for someone with smaller hands and they have both been reliable and accurate. If the compact or full size fit your hand well then it would be a good choice.

Walther PPQ 22lr: This one isn't on your list but I highly recommend it and is my current favorite 22lr pistol. Striker fired, excellent trigger, controls mimic the PPQ centerfire, 12rd mags, awesome ergonomics, been ultra reliable, extremely accurate and just a pleasure to shoot. Cost is in the same range as the pistol you posted. I own two, one of the threaded versions and the 4" standard both of which are favorites of not only me but my shooting partners when they get passed around at the range. PPQ 22 - Walther Arms This is not the same as the Walther P22.

Training for what? Do you see where I'm going here?

If you are talking about defensive use a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 makes great sense if training to mimic a full size M&P (or similar guns) while the Ruger Mark Series is a plinker and add almost zero translation to defensive type pistols. Some will say the Mark IV 22/45 is similar to a 1911, not really and I call BS, one thing it encourages "sling-shotting" and that on it's own is a deal killer IMO. Now if you are talking about training to learn proper fundamentals such as sight alignment, trigger pull, grip technique, etc than a Ruger Mark series would be fine and a fun target gun.

Maybe you don't need three but two would be an easy argument, one revolver, one auto to learn the basics of each. Another approach to consider is get a revolver and a 22 conversion kit for your G17.

The reciprocating mass of the bolt on the 22/45 may not be equal to that if a full size duty pistol, but isn't to be discarded as non training capable.

Besides that, there are a plethora of good things one can learn starting out on a Rimfire pistol.

Put a few thousand rounds through any 22lr and you'll find yourself shooting any gun a little better.

Training for what? Do you see where I'm going here?

If you are talking about defensive use a Smith & Wesson M&P 22 makes great sense if training to mimic a full size M&P (or similar guns) while the Ruger Mark Series is a plinker and add almost zero translation to defensive type pistols. Some will say the Mark IV 22/45 is similar to a 1911, not really and I call BS, one thing it encourages "sling-shotting" and that on it's own is a deal killer IMO. Now if you are talking about training to learn proper fundamentals such as sight alignment, trigger pull, grip technique, etc than a Ruger Mark series would be fine and a fun target gun.

Maybe you don't need three but two would be an easy argument, one revolver, one auto to learn the basics of each. Another approach to consider is get a revolver and a 22 conversion kit for your G17.

Learning proper fundamentals at this point. I do have one interested in hunting. I'm going to get her in a hunter safety class first and see if I can guage the true interest in hunting or if it may have to do with a boy. I'm going duck hunting with a friend this year to experience it, I'm not sure how that will go, hunting "something" is far outside of my wheelhouse, but I am keeping an open mind.

I don't understand what you mean by the 22 conversion kit for my G17?

I started with a Ruger Standard (Mark 1 now) and grew up with it.

I have a Mark 3 now and love it.

Differences between that and my Walther P22...

The Walther does mimic the full size counterpart in functionality. However, the barrel is much shorter then my MKIII and it is lighter so it is nowhere near as accurate.

I would argue for a 'target pistol' vs a 'mini-(insert simi auto here)' because it will ultimately be more fun to shoot when the girls are hitting what they are aiming at vs not grouping well past minimal distances.

If they want to move to a larger caliber gun then the basics are the same - guns have safety's, mags and you have to rack the "slide" to chamber the first round etc. All those things can be taught for a second gun much easier if they already know how to aim and squeeze a trigger well.

Just my 2¢.

**also if money is of concern, there are 12 year olds on YouTube that have videos of how to disassemble, clean and reassemble a Ruger Mark 1,2 &3 so it isn't really rocket science (but it isn't pushing a button either) and you can get them for half or less then a Mark 4.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top