JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger Mark II, stainless TARGET model with the 6 7/8" tapered barrel. I am the 2nd owner, and it is in very nice condition, but unsure of the round count...

In tuning it up for the Postal Pistol League, while zeroing the RDS on a bench rest, I noticed little crescent moon shaped pieces of lead on the bench ... sure enough, the Mark II was clipping the bullet somewhere on either the feed ramp or chamber throat.

I tried all 6 magazines I have (2 stock, 4 aftermarket) with same result. Tried 4 different brands of ammo I have here, all 40 grain LRN, some with a copper wash. Same end result...

Initial research indicates that: A. it's not uncommon and B. there is only peril to try and polish the feed ramp or chamber throat, as it has zero extra metal.

ONLY Thing I have seen that may solve this is a very small radius cut on the chamber throat, like .002" IF that is what is catching the bullet.

Anybody have any experience with this? How about a local gunsmith reference also? I'm out in Hillsboro, would like to find somebody on the west side of PDX ... I have done the Volquartzen Accurizer kit install, which is fantastic, so would like to use this gun, but this problem is beyond my capbilities I'm afraid.

Thanks!

-Kevin

From memory, one of my Mark II handguns does this as well. I haven't taken the time to try and sort it out, as I have quite a few 22 handguns and not a lot of range time. If you can't find someone local to help, you may consider contacting Ruger. They have always been very helpful for me. Word of caution though, if you go that route and send them the gun, I have heard it will come back to you in original configuration (no upgraded parts) so this may not work for you with the aftermarket kit already installed.

One of mine was doing this as well, ultimately a nice slight "De-horn" of the chamber mouth did the trick! it only takes a few min to do, and your only removing a tiny amount, but it really works! Basically all you are doing is blending that hard edge of the throat into a slightly more rounded shape, a small fine round Swiss file first, then wrapped in 400 and then 600 grit wet/dry paper is all it takes!
If your still getting shavings, have a look at the forward feed lips and front edge of your mags, you may be catching there as well! You can address them the same as the throat!

I've heard nothing but good things about @Velzey, but your experience and fix is consistent with what I've read is pretty much all you can do. The chamber throat is a sharp corner now ... and I do have the small files and fine grit sandpaper to give it a try. Did you 'radius' it all the way around, or just 'top and bottom'. I plan to put a felt tip marker on the casing, and see where on the chamber it is hitting ... THANKS!

I would use a soft wood dowel and lapping compound, or better yet a cratex come wheel and put a nice radius on the edge. Do it all the way around and it will be fine.

Well, from 'The Man' himself! Thanks Velzey! ... obviously this means VERY VERY little needs to come off. Hadn't heard of the Cratex, but sounds ideal .. a rubberized abrasive cone! I'll have to see if there is a local source for those otherwise will order some on the Internet. Hopefully this advice will allow me to do the Postal Pistol League with my preferred pistol. MANY thanks gents.

Hi Joe13 ... Thanks for the reminder! I've been there, and I just ordered a rifle from him, arriving shortly (I hope!)! I could drop it off ... and it's close for me. Thanks!

Uri-Ki, those look great! I can think of a lot of uses for those, and under 20 cents per tip? remarkable! Thanks for posting that!

Trying the Dowel suggestion: 5/16" wooden dowel, pencil sharpener to put a taper on it, some heavy duty polishing compound to put a slight bevel on the chamber throat ... will use a low speed drill and go slow .. The wood deforms so should put a rounded edge on it.... we'll see!
Stay Tuned!

Last Edited:
1st attempt ... less than optimal: the dowel material is a bit too soft, deforms easily and ends up being square against barrel. But more importantly, the (EDIT: EJECTOR, not extractor) which is NOT easily removed does not allow the 5/16" dowel to run straight through the barrel to the chamber throat. A arrives at a bit of an angle so not uniform contact around the bore. I didn't pursue it, and will look for a harder, 1/4" dowel material... I could have relieved the dowel to clear the extractor, but it's really too soft... more to follow!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads