JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As always, very astute of you to mention the Standard Auto is not a Mark I. I kept my lips sealed this time.:D

And the tight frame fit? That's one of the two issues people struggle to overcome when disassembling and reassembling a Ruger .22 pistol. I tell people, but they don't believe it until they actually see me do it, especially on a pistol that's not been broken down very many times, a big, heavy, hard rubber mallet is often the correct tool to separate and/or reattach the two halves. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. The other issue, although it's already been mentioned, is making sure the hammer strut is hanging just right, to go into the mainspring plunger. When you have been ever so slightly tutored, it's easy to see when it's "just right".
If I had a nickel for every time I've seen or heard the Standard referred to as the MkI... I usually don't even bother trying to correct it any more, kind of like the grammer nazi thing. :)

Speaking of the tight frame fit- way back in the day, when I had my first Standard and decided to do something about the poor finish on it (the one I nickel plated), I had one heck of a time figuring out just how to get the top separated from the frame. You see the ghost of a pin that you can see near the front of the frame, that permanently attaches the front of the trigger guard to the frame? I decided that must be what was holding it. Yep, I foolishly wailed the heck out of it with a hammer and punch. Fortunately I realized that it wasn't going anywhere, and stopped before I did any real damage. It took me a little more looking and figuring to get it off the right way. It was incredibly tight and took some hammering with a 2x4 as I recall.

I was young and had nobody to ask, no internet or youtube to consult, didn't know any real "gun people" who would know, so I had to figure these things out for myself. It never occurred to me to actually do as Ruger recommended, stamped right into the metal on the gun itself, and write to them for a free instruction manual. :oops:

From the way my friend has described the one he has it sounds like a 'Standard' model.
There is a good reason there are literally millions of them around. They sold like hell for a long time because they just work. My first pistol I ever bought was a standard, fixed sights. It was well used when I bought it. I ran a box car load of ammo through it before someone talked me out of it. Often wish I had it just for nostalgia. I do of course like my MKII and MKIV due to nice sights now days but, nothing wrong with the old standard that got Ruger on the map. Ebay was always a good source for mags for these.

The fallback is known as the "Magic 8-Ball" solution. Shake it at various angles until you get the answer you seek.
I actually have a Mark II that you have to hold muzzle up and then angle 45 degrees to the right to get the hammer strut in position. Anything else and you'd never get the thing back together. Took me 3 hours to finally figure that out just for that particular gun.

I actually have a Mark II that you have to hold muzzle up and then angle 45 degrees to the right to get the hammer strut in position. Anything else and you'd never get the thing back together. Took me 3 hours to finally figure that out just for that particular gun.
When the MKII hit the first big problem was the manual. This was pre net and the manual was very unclear. Ruger stated getting a lot of pistols back in pieces from angry owners. Then they re did the manual to make it far easier to understand what the hell they were trying to say. Later along came YouTube to save the day and even an after market conversion. With that you just needed and Alen Wrench. The worst for me was the Damn MkIII I had. Same set up with a mag safety. It was the only pistol I ever had I would have to look at the instructions to take apart. Bricked it a couple times trying to put it back together. Finally said good bye to it and do not miss it. Now the old MKII is easy. The MKIV I have to hope the guy who invented it got very wealthy. It was a hell of a great idea.

The worst for me was the Damn MkIII I had. Same set up with a mag safety. It was the only pistol I ever had I would have to look at the instructions to take apart. Bricked it a couple times trying to put it back together. Finally said good bye to it and do not miss it. Now the old MKII is easy. The MKIV I have to hope the guy who invented it got very wealthy. It was a hell of a great idea.
The way to fix a Mk III is to retrograde it back to a MK II. I ditched the load chamber indicator and filled in with a blank. Then tossed the mag disconnect with an aftermarket bushing. Now I essentially have a Mk II with that convenient MK III push button mag release.

The way to fix a Mk III is to retrograde it back to a MK II. I ditched the load chamber indicator and filled in with a blank. Then tossed the mag disconnect with an aftermarket bushing. Now I essentially have a Mk II with that convenient MK III push button mag release.
I had every intention of buying one of those bushings when I saw them. Then bricked it good again trying to put it back together. Guy wanted the top end for a build and paid me enough to just walk away from the damn thing since by then I had bought a MKIV. I did love that MKIII LITE but, after I bricked it the first time I ordered a MKIV. Thinking I would have to send it back to Ruger. Gal on the phone walked me through how to fix it but, by then I had the IV. So next time I bricked it again I said to hell with this nonsense. Last I looked those bushing were only like $10 so they are a great addition to anyone who still has a MKIII. Ruger does not often really screw up but that damn design was a bad one.

not to hijack the thread but my mom found this mkll squished in the mud in a tire track by the Madras dump 40 some years ago. cleaned her up and she shoots like a dream. not the prettiest one at the dance but oh well. Ruger .22 001.JPG Ruger .22 002.JPG

I don't understand this back & forth.. I learned how to dis-assemble/re-assemble my MKI 5.5" BBL when I was really young.
IE: NO internet, no phone, no help & have NEVER has an issue taking it apart or back together.
BTW, I still own it! 55 years.. :) $71.00 new in box!
You kids today...just sad.. :p

Dan

I don't understand this back & forth.. I learned how to dis-assemble/re-assemble my MKI 5.5" BBL when I was really young.
IE: NO internet, no phone, no help & have NEVER has an issue taking it apart or back together.

Dan
Dan, you splurged and got the fancy one! Bull barrel and trigger with over travel screw. Us poor boys settled for the RST4 @ 49.00 in 1973.

Dan
A LOT of the problem when the MKII hit was first Al had not yet invented the net, and second the early manual that came with them was almost like the stuff that is poorly translated to English. Ruger was getting a lot of pistols back in pieces by angry owners. So they re did the manual and did a FAR better job. Then of course Al built us the net and soon there were video's to show angry owners how to put the pistol back together.
My first pistol was a pre MK1, the original. It was used when I got it and of course no manual. I can't remember if someone showed me how to strip it or not. Years later I bought a MKII for Wife to learn on and it had the original poorly written manual. First time I took it apart I was almost ready to get in the car and head to the shop to ask them how the hell do I make this work:mad:. Finally figured out what the manual was trying to say and it was of course a snap after that. Later I downloaded the new and improved manual and it made it FAR more clear. Not to be outdone Ruger then made the polymer framed 22/45 Lite MKIII. That one I bricked on day. Thought I would have to send it back as it would not work and no longer come apart. I ordered a MKIV and when I called Ruger to get a return on the III some gal there walked me through how to un brick it over the phone. That was the only .22 pistol I ever owned that I really hated to take apart as it never went back easy. The guy who designed the MKIV should have gotten very wealthy over that. He deserves it. :D

I must have had a couple dozen marks over the years.
Had them stripped down to a pile of pins and springs numerous times.
Back together and functioning perfectly without much trouble at all.
I think it is people's general lack of patience and understanding.

I have quite a few mark I and II handguns. The trick I have used to ensure the hammer strut is in the correct position when trying to close the mainspring housing into the grip frame is to point the muzzle upright, or at least mostly upright, so the strut engages properly in the mainspring latch. Once I figured this out, I haven't had any troubles, even taking them completely apart as Greenbug commented. Patience and understanding are definitely helpful when working on a firearm, including the MK series.

I have the taking apart and putting back together thing down that is no problem . The problem is when did Mk 1 mags become $70 ea ? I am lucky that I do have plenty but jeeze it is like buying Sig or Hk mags lol.

I have the taking apart and putting back together thing down that is no problem . The problem is when did Mk 1 mags become $70 ea ? I am lucky that I do have plenty but jeeze it is like buying Sig or Hk mags lol.
Sadly this has been one major PITA with these pistols. That every damn model uses a different mag. The older ones are of course getting harder to find as they are not as in demand any more. Ruger seems to show them in stock for half that but a LOT of reviews saying they are not as well made (what is now) as they were. So many are complaining the new ones they got do not work sadly.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top