JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My search for a Ruger 'Mark' .22 may be over.

Not that I had been looking real hard but a friend has an early Mark 1 he is thinking of selling me.

I had ACTUALLY been looking for a Mark II but I can live with the Mark I.

Opinions? Anything specific I should know about the Mark 1 ?

Magazine info about the differences between the models in case you wanted to get more:

The other thing I didn't like on my Mark I was lack of last round hold open and the bolt hold open feature they added to the Mark II model.

My search for a Ruger 'Mark' .22 may be over.

Not that I had been looking real hard but a friend has an early Mark 1 he is thinking of selling me.

I had ACTUALLY been looking for a Mark II but I can live with the Mark I.

Opinions? Anything specific I should know about the Mark 1 ?
Watch a few takedown/ assemble videos on u tube. I have one made in '69' I got in a trade years ago works as it should. You can get the mags from Ruger and if it has the chrome base plate original one all the better. They're a good lil plinker along with a good option for out in the field carry for that instance that your normal CCW is just too loud/ large for that lil critter that's annoying you in that tree..........

Yes, they suck to take down and put back together.
True! The first time I took mine apart, well over 30 years ago, it took me hours to get it back together correctly. On a positive note though, once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty easy. I can put mine back together blindfolded. It's really not as big of a deal as it's made out to be, especially nowadays with Youtube videos to show you exactly how.

I like both the Standard and the MkII, have both. Most people mistakenly call the Standard a MkI, but unless it has adjustable sights, it's actually the Standard model. The bolt hold-open on the MkII is nice, but personally not that big of a deal to me. I love my old original Standard. I have no idea how many tens of thousands of rounds have been through it, and it still runs like new.

The MkII magazines are far and away better than the MkI mags (in my opinion), but it's no problem at all to use MkII mag in the MkI. I have a pile of MkII magazines that I've been using in my old MkI for decades. They work great!

Last Edited:
Mark I's are a little harder to find magazines for, and they don't have the last round hold open feature.

Mark II's are what I consider the best of the Mark series. Easy to find magazines, last round hold open, decent adjustable sights on the target models etc... I get a kick out of people who explain how lazy they are and can't learn how to disassemble and reassemble their guns for proper maintenance, it really is not that difficult to learn the Mark series of pistols. You are a person who is not afraid to know your guns and learn how they work, don't be intimidated by naysayers on the Mark series pistols.

Mark III's is where they introduced all the "Safety Features" garbage of the magazine safety and internal lock, YUCK! The only redeeming quality of the Mark III variant is the magazine release is in the more traditional location on the side of the grip frame instead of at the bottom of the grip like the Mark I and II.

Mark IV is easy to take apart and clean etc,,, but still has that pesky magazine safety.

Each of the Mark II, III, and IV series also has a 22/45 variant that take different magazines and have polymer frames too. You don't strike me as the guy that will tolerate a plastic grip frame...

What is 'OG' ?
"OG" is slang abbreviation for "original gangster " , but has been used for decades to describe the actual first iteration of almost anything.
The ruger standard model is pre mkI , and was produced concurrently with the mkI and other target variants such as long and/or bull barrel models.
The ruger standard auto loading rimfire pistol goes back to the late 50s?? ( anyone correct me if wrong, please)

I also see the new mkIV is available in "standard " trim.

IIRC 1949 was 'orginal' RST-4.....as in "Ruger Standard Target 4". After a few years RST-6 came along, & other models.

Original had 4" taper barrel. While I grew up believing it was designed to resemble Luger, I was disabused of that notion when a Nambu collector spent a couple hours 'splaining to me how that was wrong.

make sure the grips are not cracked if buying . I don't think there any aftermarket reproductions for Mk1 out there . Plenty of aftermarket Magazines for MK1, and Other than that, They shoot nice and smooth .
If you are going to buy it, Don't do anything to it. Just keep it all factory look .

Here a Pic. of my 1961.
-

MK1 61.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR