JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So tomorrow I'm picking up a lightly used Ruger M77 in .30-06 from a coworker. I managed to talk him down to $175, so regardless of the condition I'm sure it's a good deal. Even if I don't like it I can probably turn around and double my money. I know it has the famous Ruger reliability, but I'm wondering if anybody has any opinions on these guns? I haven't been able to find any negative reviews through Google, but every gun has its pros and cons. It sounds like the synthetic stock version (he said it kind of looks metallic?), and it only has two boxes of shells through it. I will need a suggestion for scopes and mounts, keeping in mind any hunting up here will likely be in a densely forested steep hill (Juneau, Alaska). This will be my first real hunting rifle (only Mosins and .22s until now), so I'm a little in the dark. Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, hello everyone, I'm back from a long hiatus from the forums. I moved up to Alaska and just haven't had any time for the internets or gun talk. I even pared my collection down to just 4 firearms for the move. Hoping to get back on the wagon here.

I've hunted with my 1977 M77R in 30-06 for the last 23 years. Its still a very good looking rifle and still shoots 1" groups at 100 with my three different handloads I make for it. So I'm happy.

Ive got a M77 and and a newer Hawkeye HM77 with LC-6 trigger...both great guns ...ruger is a great rifle maker..the only draw back on some ruger rifles are the triggers can be a little on the creepy and rough side... M77 mark II after market triggers in these fine guns make all the difference in the world....another great reason for ruger m77 is they come in lefty for us southpaws...:s0155: You really scored big for the price...cant go wrong.....

I had a buddy with a Red Pad tang safety 77 in 257 Roberts that could shoot cloverleaf clusters with almost everything you put through it.
I offered up some good money for that rifle, he said " why don't we have some back-strap and a beer instead !"
Great gun !! great guy ! The nicest people own Ruger's ( that should be a T-shirt )... LOL
BUY that RUGER !

Good buy great rifle. One of the most accurate production rifles I ever played with was an old tang safety M-77 in 30-06. Top it with a Leupold or a Burris and your set.

If this gun has a safety on the tang, it's a M77. If it has a swinging 3 position safety behind the bolt handle it's a 77MKII. The M77 in not controlled round feed, while the MKII is. The M77s used barrels from different sources and accuracy between different rifles can be very noticeable. The MKIIs are all hammer forged and made in house by Ruger. You won't need bases if this gun has no scope, just the proper Ruger rings.
I'm only posting this part so you will have a way to identify what rifle you are getting the friggin deal of the century on! The MKIIs are one of the best rifles made, with exception of the trigger, but a Timney from Brownells for about $130 will turn that gun into a prize.
Congrats. Maybe post a few pics when you get it in your hands?

I already picked it up, it's a Mark II with the lightweight black synthetic stock and stainless finish. Fantastic condition, too! I'm headed to the shop today to see what kind of optics I can buy locally, then to the range to have a little fun. I ended up paying $180 for it, and sold my Mosin for $80 the same day so I'm only out $100 so far. I don't foresee parting ways with this rifle anytime soon; a lightweight, large caliber rifle up here is a necessity. With the padded sling he threw in with the rifle, I can throw it over my shoulder and I barely even know it's there! I'll get some pics today and let you know how it shoots. I expect a lot of recoil from such a light gun.