JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1300
Manufacturer
Ruger
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Klamath Falls
State
Oregon
Zip Code
So, it is with a very heavy heart that I now must part with my favorite rifle of all time.
This has killed bear in Alaska, Elk in Idaho, Wild hog in Florida, Georgia and Texas.
I absolutely hate parting with this lot, but the years have put their stamp on me.

I have for sale the following as a single batch sale.
I will not split it up, sell it piece meal or trade for anything else.

For Sale:

Ruger M-77 in .458x2 American (Yes, a wildcat round.)

Bolt action, three shot with SKB I series hardcase

No name 4 power scope, sighted at 100 yards

Leather Sling military style.

Redding reloading dies for .458x2

385 count various head stamp belted brass for use as .458x2

2 inch chop saw (from Harbor Freight)
With custom cutting jig to cut down belted brass for use with .458x2

1500 large rifle magnum primers.

sorry, no powder or bullets

I would like to see it go to where it will be used.

I am asking $1300.00 plus whatever shipping and handling cost for the whole thing.

Go price it out online, you will see I am close.

I am open to some haggling, but let us be reasonable.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
So, it is with a very heavy heart that I now must part with my favorite rifle of all time.
This has killed bear in Alaska, Elk in Idaho, Wild hog in Florida, Georgia and Texas.
I absolutely hate parting with this lot, but the years have put their stamp on me.

I have for sale the following as a single batch sale.
I will not split it up, sell it piece meal or trade for anything else.

For Sale:

Ruger M-77 in .458x2 American (Yes, a wildcat round.)

Bolt action, three shot with SKB I series hardcase

No name 4 power scope, sighted at 100 yards

Leather Sling military style.

Redding reloading dies for .458x2

385 count various head stamp belted brass for use as .458x2

2 inch chop saw (from Harbor Freight)
With custom cutting jig to cut down belted brass for use with .458x2

1500 large rifle magnum primers.

sorry, no powder or bullets

I would like to see it go to where it will be used.

I am asking $1300.00 plus whatever shipping and handling cost for the whole thing.

Go price it out online, you will see I am close.

I am open to some haggling, but let us be reasonable.

View attachment 862939 View attachment 862940 View attachment 862941 View attachment 862942
Still Available?

This is one of the very most practical wildcats ever designed. It puts all the power of a "balls to the wall" .45-70 (think Siamese Mauser or Ruger #1) in a short action bolt gun. Brass for conversion (any conventional belted magnum: 7mm,300,338, etc) is literally everywhere. This one done on a legendary "Flat Bolt" early Ruger is way cool. Who did the barrel and stock?

A friend of mine did this on a short Remington 700. My brother crept up a bit too close on the scope and a hovering pink mist in the air indicated he was now a member of the "Weatherby Eyebrow" guild.

This is one of the very most practical wildcats ever designed. It puts all the power of a "balls to the wall" .45-70 (think Siamese Mauser or Ruger #1) in a short action bolt gun. Brass for conversion (any conventional belted magnum: 7mm,300,338, etc) is literally everywhere. This one done on a legendary "Flat Bolt" early Ruger is way cool. Who did the barrel and stock?

A friend of mine did this on a short Remington 700. My brother crept up a bit too close on the scope and a hovering pink mist in the air indicated he was now a member of the "Weatherby Eyebrow" guild.
I don't remember who did the barrel and stock, for that I am sorry, but age has crept up on my poor memory.
This was one of the few rifles I did reloading for, mostly in this case because there was no ammo available commercially.
And, for the very reasons you sight, that brass was everywhere and reloading data , although scant for the cartridge itself,
was easy to work up using .45-70 data as a safe starting point. (Always start your loads at least 10 percent under Maximum, if you have never reloaded before, try three rounds, firing them, to be sure they won't squib on you. Also, be sure to check the barrel is clear before firing a second round to be sure you don't have a blocked barrel.)

As with all Wildcat rounds, there are plus and minuses to owning and firing them. For me, I needed a bolt action .45-70, but something I could push a little harder than I could out of a Siamese Mauser (they were older rifles when I was a "Young" man)
This round is exceptional for all North American game, including Bear. One of it's draw backs is, being a .458 sized round, they drop like a howitzer round. Beyond about 200 yards, it's more like dropping an artillery round on target. I have been told it can be done, but having grown up in the swamps of Florida and Georgia, my range was more often limited by visual range rather than shooting distance. In Florida you will find your range is limited to 100-150 yards or less, but more controlled by brush deflection, which was a reason for choosing the .458. In Oregon, the Coast Range Hunters face much the same issues I did in Florida, add to that the vertical distances you must consider, because packing out 500-1000 pounds of Elk meat as well as a full rack and head will either make a man of you or kill you. Eastern Oregon and Nevada are of course different, distances increase, game is much more wary of movement, winds can mess you up in an instant. As long as you are aware of it's limitations, it is a fantastic round, cheaper than just buying a .458 Magnum and downloading rounds and really, who doesn't want to own a wildcat once in their lives

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.