JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem I see with 9mm in a revolver is in carrying reloads. Moon clips don't carry well in a pocket, it is too easy for the cartridges to pop out of the clip, or for the clip to get bent, and the shape is awkward. A speed loader as used for .38/357 is solid and locks the cartridges firmly in place and the knob on the loader is easy to reach in and grab out of a pocket. Or you can use speed strips, which also hold the cartridges firmly and are flat and flexible and easy to carry. Why deal with the hassle of 9mm when the .38+P is just as effective?

When I first saw it my initial reaction was "cool." But now that I have had some time to think about it I do somewhat see the point. Its the same size and weight as the .357 version so I'd pick that first.

Last Edited:
A possible use would be if you are pretty much use 9mm for other firearms and could use the LCR as a backup in an ankle holster or something.
Mike
Since 2" airweight snubs are not really plinking or target guns that go through a lot of ammo, I would rather buy a box or two of ammo to feed one instead of dealing with moon clips merely for the sake of ammo commonality.

The other issue I have with moon clips is that if you lose them or they get bent, the gun is essentially useless until they are replaced. With a .38 or .357, if you lose or damage a speed loader it is still possible to load cartridges into the gun singly. I have nothing against the 9mm, I own 2 of them, but the bottom line is that the cartridge was never designed to be fired from a revolver in the first place and being forced to rely on moon clips in order to make the gun work violates the KISS principle that I like to follow when it comes to self defense.

I agree, I have the .357 as well. Was just trying to figure out what the heck someone could do with one in 9mm. LOL!
Carry it as a backup to their main carry. If your main carry went down you could use the ammo from your main's magazines to feed your backup. I have an acquaintance who carries a 9mm Glock concealed and an AR in 9mm that takes Glock magazines in his get home bag. This could be added to the mix as another reliable option that takes the same calibers.