JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys

Just curious if there are any Ruger LCP owners out there that would be willing to share the experiences. I bought a new Ruger LCP from LL Guns a while back. I love this little gun, I can't imagine a better " Im going to the store " gun out there, but... It occasionally jams on me ! Not often but often enough to give me pause.

I figured I just needed to break it in a bit , but after 320 + rounds I had a FTE yesterday while shooting on my second mag. Required a tap, rack, assess, drop mag, rack / roll glad I wasn't trying to defend myself, a little small for fast malfunction clearing . :s0114:

Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I was shooting Remington FMJ from Wal-Mart. The gun is meticulously clean and lubed, I am a very experienced hand gun shooter ( no limp wrists ), Is this just the nature of the beast with these pocket automatics ?

I have read a ton of posts on various forums stating they run perfectly, this just hasn't been my experience. Maybe a trip back to ruger ? ( or replace with a 642 :winkkiss: )

Anybody eleses run good, most of the time ? Im not sure most is good enough for me.

I have had one for 2 years without a single failure of any kind, break-in or not. I have put 500 or so rounds through mine to master the trigger pull and never had a problem. I am totally confident in my LCP and I would trust my life to it. I'm sorry yours does not perform the same. I hope you are able to get it resolved. Kip.

I have had one for 2 years without a single failure of any kind, break-in or not. I have put 500 or so rounds through mine to master the trigger pull and never had a problem. I am totally confident in my LCP and I would trust my life to it. I'm sorry yours does not perform the same. I hope you are able to get it resolved. Kip.

Appriciate the response.

I would guess mine has malfunctioned about 12 times in 300 rounds. Yesterday I was in Giffiord Pinchot practicing drawing from the pocket holster. I drew, fired 7 rounds, reloaded / racked and the gun FTE'd on the second round of the second mag. I was shooting with speed and it did run through a mag before malfunctioning but what if I had the other mag in the gun, and I wasn't training ? Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. Maybe I should put a few more rounds through it, IDK.

Glad yours runs good. They really are fantastic little guns. I love mine, I just wish I felt confident with it. I do sometimes carry it as a primary weapon.

Mine has been flawless from the box too, so it's hard to help. Like you, I shoot only commercial ball too. Is that second mag bad? Bad recoil spring?

What sucks is that if this your carry weapon, you have to have 100% confidence in it, and you don't.

What sucks is that if this your carry weapon, you have to have 100% confidence in it, and you don't.

Pretty much man.

I really should have marked the mags, its very possible this is the issue. I will put a couple more hundred through it and mark the mags if this continues, then re-evaluate.

Thanks for the response.

Only issue I had with mine was trying to feed Federal Hydra-Shoks through it, which made sense because the LCP has a skinny feed ramp and the H-Shoks are a wide hollow point so they'd hang up. No issues with Hornady critical defense or ball ammo.

Only about 220rds through mine. Critical defense, hydra-shocks and a kind of odd rnd like ball but with a teeny little hole in its snout. Zero malfunctions of any kind! I carry with light clothing so all the time now, and absolute faith in it. Send it to Ruger, they will take care of you!

Echoing what others have said. Mine has 300-ish rounds through it, all Mag Tec and Winchester white box. Probably 2 mags worth of Hornaday Crit Defense just to be sure it cycles. Never a single malfunction from the day I got it out of the box. I'd send it to Ruger, give them a detailed description of the problem and how often. Their customer service is 1st rate!
Good luck!
Chris

Thank you everyone whom responded. I will run a couple boxes it through it this weekend trying to isolate of its a mag or not then call Ruger next week.

Glad everybody's runs good, they are awesome little pistols.

I was going to get an LCP, but got a better deal on a Taurus TCP. It has been flawless so far, and shoots every kind of ammo I have put through it so far--FMJ, JHP, Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Remanufactured,etc.

Ruger has good CS, so give them a call, they will take care of you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

The last time I was home the wife put over 1000 rnds through her's and didn't have a single hiccup. If you were to get in touch with Ruger and they were given the chance to make it right then I'm sure they would.

Too bad about your LCP. I know what you feel like, I have a Kahr CM9 that I have sunk mega $ in ammo in to try and prove to myself that it's fixed after 3x to the factory. Sure, it hasn't jammed in a long while but I just wait for it to happen again. I just got a NIB LCP - wish me luck!
I suggest cutting your losses and try another firearm. You won't get the trust back.

Scott

I have around 700 rounds through mine so far and have only a few rounds not feed correctly when I first got it. I have large hands and without the finger extension it would pivot in my hand and not chamber completely. With the extension I am able to keep this from happening and have had no problems since.

I would try different ammo first and if that does not fix the problem call Ruger they will fix it.

"I was shooting Remington FMJ from Wal-Mart." There has been a lot of discussion about this ammo on Waltherforums. It is crap IMHO. Had trouble with the .22lr Remington also. Get some Magtech, RWS, Fiocchi, or even WW white box and see if that Remington ammo is the problem.