JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got home from picking up a Ruger LC9 and thought I would share my first impressions and some pics of it and other compact 9mm's. Price was a very fair $359 before taxes(thanks Nick at Brightwater Ventures - Vancouver, WA):s0155: which makes in just about the same price as the S&W .380 Bodyguard.

Let's just get the negatives out of the way first. Hate the fact that the gun has a magazine safety, manual safety and an ugly loaded chamber indicator. It also has a keyed lock too, but that will never get used. Unfortunately in todays world these things are necessary in order to sell guns in the largest state in the US, so I can see why Ruger did it. I'm sure someone will figure out ways to remove the safeties soon enough.

I like how the gun is basically a scaled up LCP, it is much sleeker looking the the Kel-tec PF9. The trigger is basically like a revolver but nowhere near as heavy, actually it kind of feels good although it is a little on the thin side. One big improvement over the PF9 is a more generous trigger guard, should be no problem with gloves, where the PF9 is pretty tight bare handed.

The sights on the gun are metal, not plastic like the PF9, and have 3-dots. They are dovetailed in, so it looks like night sights will be an option down the road.

Magazine appears to be made by Mec-Gar and holds 7rds of 9mm, comes with an extended finger rest installed and a flat one in the box.

Overall the gun appears nicer than both the Kel-tec PF9 and Taurus 709, IMHO. It's small enough to fit in most pockets and would virtually disappear Inside the Waist band.

Hope to get out and shoot in on Saturday and see how it works.

Now on to some pics:

Ruger LC9:
IMG_7766.jpg

Ruger LC9 and Ruger LCP:
IMG_7767.jpg

Ruger LC9 and Kel-tec PF9:
IMG_7769.jpg

PF9 on top of LC9:
IMG_7771.jpg

LC9, PF9 and Kahr CW9:
IMG_7773.jpg

I'll add some holster pics soon and give a range report by Saturday evening.

Thanks Stephen,
Great pic's let us know how it shoots I've had both glocks and have a LCP but want to get a Kahr (P9) but the price tag on the ruger is much more to my liking not sure a P9 is worth the price.

Dale

Thanks Stephen,
Great pic's let us know how it shoots I've had both glocks and have a LCP but want to get a Kahr (P9) but the price tag on the ruger is much more to my liking not sure a P9 is worth the price.

Dale

The Kahr CW9 or CM9 is really going to be hard to beat for the price $400-ish, but the Ruger is not bad especially for less than $400.

I love the trigger on my Kahr CW9, it's much nicer than any DAO gun like the LC9.

Great pics! More compact 9mm's hopefully mean more people carrying, which should IMO make our society a better place. The LC9 will be a nice option for those who cannot afford a Kahr and don't like Kel-Tecs... I can't say I'm a fan of the safety or the magazine disconnect so I'll stick to my PF-9.

Just curious, does it appear if the magazine is interchangeable between the LC9 and the PF9? The rest of the gun is just a copy of the PF9, and Mec-Gar makes the mags for Kel-Tec as well, just curious more than anything.

They do not interchange, the magazine notch is in a different place.

Shot it last weekend and was really impressed. Didn't put a lot of rounds through it because of the snow but out of the 30-40 that I did fire I had absolutely no problems and accuracy was more than acceptable.

A poster on another forum that I frequent is over 700 rounds through his and has had zero malfunctions and can consistently put 49 out of 50 rounds on target(large steel plate) at 50 yards.

I just picked mine up today, I had an LCP but wanted a little bit bigger gun, it fits my hand well .. can you tell me what it feels like to shoot .... the LCP hurt a little to shoot. Also I love the finish on these guns ... very smooth and nice .. the kel tec's etc I looked at just weren't as nicely finished as the Ruger and I have never had a problem with any of the Rugers I have owned .... and thanks for the pictures they were very good.

Just FYI for everyone...

Went out last Saturday to try out my new LC9. First few shots felt like it had the longest trigger pull ever made. Wasn't really liking the feel of it after 2 magazines. The trigger had to be pulled all the way back to the frame and the hammer would stick for a split second before it fell. And then I couldn't even get it to fire with the 5th magazine.

I took it apart yesterday and tried to find out what was going on. The trigger and hammer worked flawlessly when I had the slide removed. But when I had everything back together I would get maybe one or two "normal" pulls for every 10 long, delayed pulls.

The bright side to this story, is that I left Ruger a voicemail on Sunday and they called me promptly at 0815 this morning. And after going over the details of the problem, they emailed me a UPS label to send it in for repair.

Every once in a while you're going to get something that doesn't work quite right even right out of the box. I'm just glad Ruger stands behinds their products and steps up to fix them. Now I just have to wait 2-3 weeks and I'll be back on the range seeing what it's really capable of.

IMG00374-20110302-1624.jpg

Just FYI for everyone...

Went out last Saturday to try out my new LC9. First few shots felt like it had the longest trigger pull ever made. Wasn't really liking the feel of it after 2 magazines. The trigger had to be pulled all the way back to the frame and the hammer would stick for a split second before it fell. And then I couldn't even get it to fire with the 5th magazine.

I took it apart yesterday and tried to find out what was going on. The trigger and hammer worked flawlessly when I had the slide removed. But when I had everything back together I would get maybe one or two "normal" pulls for every 10 long, delayed pulls.

The bright side to this story, is that I left Ruger a voicemail on Sunday and they called me promptly at 0815 this morning. And after going over the details of the problem, they emailed me a UPS label to send it in for repair.

Every once in a while you're going to get something that doesn't work quite right even right out of the box. I'm just glad Ruger stands behinds their products and steps up to fix them. Now I just have to wait 2-3 weeks and I'll be back on the range seeing what it's really capable of.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_...U/4x-uNYKB8jA/s800/IMG00374-20110302-1624.jpg

That's the first issue I have heard of with and LC9, hopefully it's just a burr someplace that's interfering with the proper movement of a part.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top