JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a set of Ruger gray laminated grips on my Birdshead Vaquero. The finish is very dull. I picked up some red medallions and before I put them in would like to give the grips a little luster.
What's a good way to go about this?
Was thinking about trying to buff them out with paste wax, or turtle wax. Or possible wet sand them before waxing.

A silicone rag will work well if it isn't too dull

Edit:

Pics would help

2nd Edit:

I've been using a silicone rag on my 1995 Marlin 60 SS (as well as others) with laminated stock and it looks as good if not better then it did when I bought it.

Last Edited:
I've got a set of Ruger gray laminated grips on my Birdshead Vaquero. The finish is very dull. I picked up some red medallions and before I put them in would like to give the grips a little luster.
What's a good way to go about this?
Was thinking about trying to buff them out with paste wax, or turtle wax. Or possible wet sand them before waxing.

I recently de-horned some Ruger laminated grips. The portion that I worked on, would not re-shine regardless of my attempts. So, I put a light coat of Varathane on the portion that I had sanded, and now that is the smoothest, shiniest part of the grips.

WAYNO.

Sometimes shiny is not optimal, but rather rich and radiant. Try a coat of ballistol and if you like it, reapply as needed. If a longer lasting oil finish is desired, a tripart mix of boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits, and spar can be applied in layers with wet 600 grit black sandpaper, rubbing in, let dry and repeat 4-6 times. A carnuba wax can be applied as a last step if you need further weatherproofing but I have found that it eventually dulls out and the oil needs to be reapplied for best radiance.

Last Edited:
Not sure if I'm too late to the party, but +1 on the linseed oil turpentine and spar varnish mix. I use that on a lot of woodworking projects and it looks super nice. Adds depth and radiance but without a super shiny finish.
A few coats of teak oil also do a really nice job of bringing out the grain, but you will have to wet sand after the oil cures if you want a matte finish.

I ended up using a buffing cone chucked in my drill press to rub the grips out with beeswax. Spun it at 1000 rpm. Then installed the red medallions.
I like the way it turned out.
20161006_205835_zpsjnu4nplh.jpg

P1030330_zps6svhdhr3.jpg

The possibilities are endless! Faux-ivory, faux mother of toilet seat, faux mother of pearl, walnut, ebony. Each choice gives any gun a whole new look. A collection of grips is as valuable as a drawer full of wigs.

Eagle and Hogue make some very nice exotic-wood grips. But, the laminated grips from the factory look pretty nice, too.:) Your Red Eagles are stunning.

Ruger Birdshead Grips - Eagle Grips, Inc. - The World's Finest Handgun Grips

WAYNO.

P1030377_zpsot2dmbe2.jpg P1010638_zps69825be6.jpg P1010466_zps8c162936.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR