JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Next owner" is something that I don't understand. Why would there be a "next owner"? :D

Also if you read my entire post you would see that I mentioned how easy they seem to have made the process and the free magazine is even more incentive to get it done so I don't know why I wouldn't.
Not criticizing you. Just making a general statement that we should always consider the next owner, who might be 50 years down the road when we're dead. It's tempting to just deal with it and never get the fix done, but that sets a trap for the next owner, who may never hear about the recall. I was lucky to find out about a bolt recall on a Howa 1500 I bought used. I found out about the possibility of the bolt being assembled incorrectly and the rifle discharging unexpectedly, and the recall to fix the problem by sheer chance. Whoever bought it new got notified and never took advantage of the recall.

Just dealing with it is fine for you, but what about the next owner?

Also, I believe this is incorrect:

"Must I ship the gun to you via a Federal Firearms Licensee (or Firearms Retailer)?

No. Because we are not asking for the entire gun, but rather just the grip frame assembly, you do not need to ship via an FFL. We will arrange to have your grip frame shipped directly to us via U.S. Postal Service; you can ship it directly from your home."

I believe the answer should be no under federal law, because you are shipping your firearm to a repair facility for repairs, not for a transfer of ownership. I don't know if state law changes that situation. Any thoughts?

View attachment 369695 View attachment 369696
Should it really be an issue since they are a licensed manufacturer?

I have a Mk IV 22/45, I bought brand new, but I didn't get an email from Ruger about the recall.

I've never had a problem with this pistol. The buttons were always a little stiff, but I got used to it. I don't carry it, and it sits unloaded in the safe. Do you guys think it's worth the trouble to disassemble and mail in?

FWIW, I think it came with 4 mags already, maybe they could send a brick of 22LR instead.
The thing I saw was for guns made before or after a certain date

7974.jpeg

I just got an email confirmation letter. Here's what it said:

Here is what you can expect:
  1. When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
  2. When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories from your grip frame assembly. You may leave aftermarket grip panels on your grip frame assembly, as these are not affected by the recall. While we will attempt to return other accessories to you, we cannot guarantee that is the case. Any parts affected by the recall (sear and safety) will not be returned.
  3. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a thank-you for your cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
  4. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.

I guess it's on a first come first serve basis. I still plan on using the gun, it's no big deal to me, I hardly use the safety. I load 10 rounds and shoot them all.

Just dealing with it is fine for you, but what about the next owner?

Also, I believe this is incorrect:

"Must I ship the gun to you via a Federal Firearms Licensee (or Firearms Retailer)?

No. Because we are not asking for the entire gun, but rather just the grip frame assembly, you do not need to ship via an FFL. We will arrange to have your grip frame shipped directly to us via U.S. Postal Service; you can ship it directly from your home."

I believe the answer should be no under federal law, because you are shipping your firearm to a repair facility for repairs, not for a transfer of ownership. I don't know if state law changes that situation. Any thoughts?

View attachment 369695 View attachment 369696

It's because they (Ruger) are telling you (non FFL) to use the USPS. The USPS does not allow hand guns to be shipped by them unless you have an FFL. Since the part going back to Ruger is not a "gun" by Fed standards you can use the USPS. Far easier than using FedEx or UPS. If you have to send a gun back by common carrier it's always a crap shoot. While it is totally legal you often run into the problem of some drone who "thinks" it's not. If you make the mistake of saying the magic word gun at the counter often it turns into a giant hassle. The nice thing about the box being sent ready to go is you don't even have to talk to anyone at the post office. You can just drop it off. If you do walk into the post office with one of these I would not start telling the drones there you are trying to mail a firearm or magic word gun. To do so you are just begging to be back here that same day talking about the huge hassle they gave you. Many of them have no clue about rules and laws. Saying the word gun makes many of them go on tilt.

I just got an email confirmation letter. Here's what it said:

Here is what you can expect:
  1. When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
  2. When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories from your grip frame assembly. You may leave aftermarket grip panels on your grip frame assembly, as these are not affected by the recall. While we will attempt to return other accessories to you, we cannot guarantee that is the case. Any parts affected by the recall (sear and safety) will not be returned.
  3. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a thank-you for your cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
  4. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.

I guess it's on a first come first serve basis. I still plan on using the gun, it's no big deal to me, I hardly use the safety. I load 10 rounds and shoot them all.

We have been wanting to get one for a while. If we had ended up with one I would be using it while waiting too. Never use the safety on mine now. Since they are only loaded at the range and never carried. Now if I carried one for hunting that would be a different story of course. Also noticed that for the future reference it will be easy to spot the ones that have been re done with a new set up. I can see this easily becoming a problem for Ruger down the road. There will no doubt be some floating around never retrofitted. Then sold many years or even decades from now. When one goes off the lawyers will be wanting money.

I picked up a Ruger today and they put flyer in the box stating they will upgrade the trigger assembly on the older 3 screw Single Six and the Bearcat free of charge and will send a shipping box, all paid for. To make it safer if dropped preventing hammer fire. Stand up company to me.

I picked up a Ruger today and they put flyer in the box stating they will upgrade the trigger assembly on the older 3 screw Single Six and the Bearcat free of charge and will send a shipping box, all paid for. To make it safer if dropped preventing hammer fire. Stand up company to me.

If you mean it's pre transfer bar that is an old one. That change was from the early 70's IIRC. It was also the result of lawyers, even back then. Ruger for years paid for ads in gun rags trying to get people to send the guns back to have the new parts put in. Mentioning they would send the old parts back for the guns along with the retrofitted gun.

They got sued ( and lost ) because someone shot themselves in the leg with one of the old model 6 shooters that you arent really supposed to carry one in the chamber with. That's when they started stamping the entire owners manual on the barrel and the started using the dropping transfer bar for the firing pin. I doubt they do too many of them any more since that was almost 40 years ago but they still put that notice in the box. Odd company Ruger. Bill Ruger had a real aversion to lawyers. The guy was a real pariah in the gun community for years after his Congressional push to ban hi cap mags.

They got sued ( and lost ) because someone shot themselves in the leg with one of the old model 6 shooters that you arent really supposed to carry one in the chamber with. That's when they started stamping the entire owners manual on the barrel and the started using the dropping transfer bar for the firing pin. I doubt they do too many of them any more since that was almost 40 years ago but they still put that notice in the box. Odd company Ruger. Bill Ruger had a real aversion to lawyers. The guy was a real pariah in the gun community for years after his Congressional push to ban hi cap mags.

Bill Sr. long had a real poor idea of citizens and guns. He was very big on the "only LEO's and Military need certain guns and mags". When he championed the 15 round mag ban he thought doing so would not effect his guns. At that time they were not selling the larger mags for the Mini to the public. It was why the Ruger 20 round mags commanded such a premium. When congress passed the bill at 10 rounds he got a taste of what happens when you try to compromise with liberals. Then of course he got a HUGE backlash for his "No honest man needs more than 15 rounds" comment. This is often misquoted as him saying 10 rounds since that was the law passed. So he then had to make a huge donation to the NRA trying to cover his over loaded mouth.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top