JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are going to send me a box and a shipping label. You just send in the lower. They promised a one week turn around. For your trouble you get a free mag.

Glad to hear they're taking care of the problem. This is though, why I generally don't jump on any new gun, just to be sure the kinks are worked out first. Still want one of these down the road.

So, what you're telling me is that if the gun isn't on "safe", it will fire? Whodathought...

No, no, no, it's waaay more complicated than that. If you don't put the engage the safety it could fire. Wait a just a doggone minute ....... DOH! r3dundantC you are brilliant! :)

I know, I thought it was kind of a strange "recall" too, but who am I to argue with Ruger.

In certain situations it will fire when you simply push the safety switch to "fire" position without even touching the trigger.

That is definitely a serious safety concern. I hope someone doesn't ignore the recall
due to deficient reading comprehension skills or bad advice.

Both my new MK-4's are on the way to Ruger as of this morning!!! At least they are quick with issuing the notice, and seem to be willing to take steps to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. I have heard Ruger as awesome customer support and warranty, guess we get to see just how good they are!!!

I'm starting to wounder if quality control is slipping over there... they certainly are coming out with some great new products, but my LCP2 is currently at Ruger because the mag fell out every time I pulled the trigger last time I tried shooting it. From what i've read it's a common problem. We'll see how fast they get it back to me. Hopefully this recall won't slow it down. I need my pocket carry back! especially with summer here.

I am beginning to wonder about Ruger too.

But I entered my MKIV info and signed up for the recall. Got this message back:

Thank you for signing your pistol up for the Mark IV™ recall. You have been added to the list to have your grip frame assembly retrofitted. We will be retrofitting grip frame assemblies on a first-come, first-served basis. Here is what you can expect.

1. When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
  2. When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. (Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories.) Follow the instructions in your instruction manual to separate the barrel/receiver assembly from the grip frame.
  3. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a "thank you" for your participation and cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
  4. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.
While we sincerely regret the need to issue this recall, our motto is, and has been for many years, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®." We are firmly committed to safety and appreciate your patience and cooperation.

I am beginning to wonder about Ruger too.

But I entered my MKIV info and signed up for the recall. Got this message back:

Thank you for signing your pistol up for the Mark IV™ recall. You have been added to the list to have your grip frame assembly retrofitted. We will be retrofitting grip frame assemblies on a first-come, first-served basis. Here is what you can expect.

1. When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
  2. When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. (Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories.) Follow the instructions in your instruction manual to separate the barrel/receiver assembly from the grip frame.
  3. We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a "thank you" for your participation and cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
  4. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.
While we sincerely regret the need to issue this recall, our motto is, and has been for many years, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®." We are firmly committed to safety and appreciate your patience and cooperation.
It'd be nice if they sent me a new mag for my trouble... I'm not holding my breath though. It's been two weeks, and I feel naked without it. I was at Sportsmans yesterday and they had an lcp2 with the new varidian laser attached... looking forward to getting one.

Last Edited:
They sell a lot of MK-1V's. They probably started out strong and now sheer volume is overwhelming them! They'll catch up.

That releasing the safety and the sear slips is a bad situation!

As far as problems go, this doesn't seem all that big. Still, glad they're making the recall, making the public aware, and it seems cool to get a free mag!
Sort of glad I didn't get one, and yet somewhat sorry... I WANT A FREE MAG!

When I first read this I thought I would just deal with it. But now that I see you only have to send the lower and you get a free mag, seems not so bad. Wasn't real excited about taking my red dot off. Guess I don't have to.

When I first read this I thought I would just deal with it. But now that I see you only have to send the lower and you get a free mag, seems not so bad. Wasn't real excited about taking my red dot off. Guess I don't have to.
Just dealing with it is fine for you, but what about the next owner?

Also, I believe this is incorrect:

"Must I ship the gun to you via a Federal Firearms Licensee (or Firearms Retailer)?

No. Because we are not asking for the entire gun, but rather just the grip frame assembly, you do not need to ship via an FFL. We will arrange to have your grip frame shipped directly to us via U.S. Postal Service; you can ship it directly from your home."

I believe the answer should be no under federal law, because you are shipping your firearm to a repair facility for repairs, not for a transfer of ownership. I don't know if state law changes that situation. Any thoughts?

faqQuestion.gif faqClose.gif

Last Edited:
Got the email today from Ruger.

I have a Mk IV 22/45, I bought brand new, but I didn't get an email from Ruger about the recall.

I've never had a problem with this pistol. The buttons were always a little stiff, but I got used to it. I don't carry it, and it sits unloaded in the safe. Do you guys think it's worth the trouble to disassemble and mail in?

FWIW, I think it came with 4 mags already, maybe they could send a brick of 22LR instead.

Just dealing with it is fine for you, but what about the next owner?

Also, I believe this is incorrect:

"View attachment 369695 Must I ship the gun to you via a Federal Firearms Licensee (or Firearms Retailer)? View attachment 369696
No. Because we are not asking for the entire gun, but rather just the grip frame assembly, you do not need to ship via an FFL. We will arrange to have your grip frame shipped directly to us via U.S. Postal Service; you can ship it directly from your home."

I believe the answer should be no under federal law, because you are shipping your firearm to a repair facility for repairs, not for a transfer of ownership. I don't know if state law changes that situation. Any thoughts?

"Next owner" is something that I don't understand. Why would there be a "next owner"? :D

Also if you read my entire post you would see that I mentioned how easy they seem to have made the process and the free magazine is even more incentive to get it done so I don't know why I wouldn't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top