JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great deal! I'm still curious to see if it uses the G2 Short Frame pattern or if Ruger did their own thing.
I'm curious as well. I did confirm with Ruger that it uses AR-15 handguards I did not get an answer about the barrel nut, so I've re-inquired about that. I'm also working on getting a list of all parts that are:

1. Compatible with the AR-15
2. Compatible with the AR-10
3. Proprietary to the SFAR

Unfortunately their support seems capable of only answering one question at a time, so this may take a while! :D

I'm not familiar enough with the DPMS GII rifles to comment on what Ruger did different, if anything. When my rifle arrives, I'll try to get some detailed pics to share. I'm told it could be here this coming week.

I'm curious as well. I did confirm with Ruger that it uses AR-15 handguards I did not get an answer about the barrel nut, so I've re-inquired about that. I'm also working on getting a list of all parts that are:

1. Compatible with the AR-15
2. Compatible with the AR-10
3. Proprietary to the SFAR

Unfortunately their support seems capable of only answering one question at a time, so this may take a while! :D

I'm not familiar enough with the DPMS GII rifles to comment on what Ruger did different, if anything. When my rifle arrives, I'll try to get some detailed pics to share. I'm told it could be here this coming week.
If you are local to the Portland Metro area I'd be happy to meet up to compare my GII pattern Adams AR308 with the SFAR and see if uppers and lowers will swap. If it does it gives owners of either some additional options as well as support f either company stops producing short frame AR 10's

If you are local to the Portland Metro area I'd be happy to meet up to compare my GII pattern Adams AR308 with the SFAR and see if uppers and lowers will swap. If it does it gives owners of either some additional options as well as support f either company stops producing short frame AR 10's
Fortunately, I'm nowhere near Portland! :D

I have a 16" .358 Win large frame AR, which I do consider a short range "brush gun". I did not build it primarily with weight in mind (medium contour barrel, full mass BCG, 5.6oz buffer, etc.), but it was a consideration. It comes in at 9.4 lbs with optic as shown. It is 1-5/16" longer than a similarly equipped 16" 5.56 AR-15 and weighs around 2.4 lbs more. For comparison, my 16" .308 DPMS G2 Recon weighs 8.5 lbs without optic. Although I am interested in the SFAR (6.8 lbs no optic) and how it performs, I do believe that less weight is not always an advantage with some gas operated rifle calibers. I'm going to wait to shoot one before I consider buying.
kSyv0Mum.jpg

I have a 16" .358 Win large frame AR, which I do consider a short range "brush gun". I did not build it primarily with weight in mind (medium contour barrel, full mass BCG, 5.6oz buffer, etc.), but it was a consideration. It comes in at 9.4 lbs with optic as shown. It is 1-5/16" longer than a similarly equipped 16" 5.56 AR-15 and weighs around 2.4 lbs more. For comparison, my 16" .308 DPMS G2 Recon weighs 8.5 lbs without optic. Although I am interested in the SFAR (6.8 lbs no optic) and how it performs, I do believe that less weight is not always an advantage with some gas operated rifle calibers. I'm going to wait to shoot one before I consider buying.
View attachment 1281257
My Tikka T3 superlight .30-06 is under 7lbs with the scope. That's before I put the Manners carbon fiber stock on it. The Ruger will be a damn pussycat!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................
Make mine Dragunov... 7.62X54 goodness- with a side order of Kalash AKm for good measure.
Da, I like the AR10 for certain sure, but do we REALLY need another AR-clone?
Yes.

That's like saying "Do we really another bolt action rifle?" or "Do we really need another revolver?".

The AR is just another rifle action type that started out and developed for battle and became a popular civilian firearm such as all black powder firearms, break action rifles, shotguns, lever actions, bolt actions, etc.. In fact, every single firearm type we have used historically and currently started out developed for military use.

Decent video on the SFAR. Looks like Ruger really went to town - Note the well designed adjustable gas block and venting provisions for silencers.

Looks also like Ruger did ther own engineering and did not use the GII pattern. Look at this comparison of SFAR bolt to the AR10 and AR 15
1664050504376.png

Here is a photo of my AR308 compared to AR15 sized bolts
1664050608811.png

The GII spec bolt looks clearly longer than the AR15 length SFAR bolt

Decent video on the SFAR. Looks like Ruger really went to town - Note the well designed adjustable gas block and venting provisions for silencers.

Looks also like Ruger did ther own engineering and did not use the GII pattern. Look at this comparison of SFAR bolt to the AR10 and AR 15
View attachment 1281499

Here is a photo of my AR308 compared to AR15 sized bolts
View attachment 1281500

The GII spec bolt looks clearly longer than the AR15 length SFAR bolt
Ever since they kicked the family out whoever is calling the shots there seems to do it VERY well. With almost every new thing they come out with there seems to be a LOT of "hate". Looks like those in charge are laughing all the way to the bank as they are making things that people want and are willing to get in line to buy. :s0092:

It's at a price that's pretty reasonable for .308.
If I had the scratch I would pick one up, the SR762 has been a solid rifle for me and cost double the SFAR.
Double the weight too.

I noticed the 20" is five ounces heavier than the 16.5", likely notice the balance change too. I have 16" and 20" AR-10's, and I love the "Shorty"

There is a fairly well known wildcatter, Mad Dog Weapon Systems, who has been tearing one down in his spare time and doing a pretty good analysis, including measurements. He's already re-barreled one in 27RPR and modified an AR-15 upper to fit. Some good technical info, search him out if interested.

I had to investigate that one cuz I really didn't know if they were the same or different. Here is the comparison of a .308 12" barrel vs 30-30 20" barrel. The energy drops off in a big way as yardage increases which is what we would expect due to the ballistic coefficients (bullet shape) being so different.

The 30-30 might have an edge though if shooting through brush as it would likely not veer off course as much when hitting brush as much compared to the .308. Also it would likely be more quiet. Other than that though I'm seeing them as pretty different.

Here are the energy and drop values. I highlighted longer range ones.

View attachment 1274248
Note that bullet choice was based only on a fast search to find real world measured data of 12" .308 and 20" 30-30. I did not try to find bullet data optimized for the barrel length. So these numbers could change a bit depending on ammo choice but it gives a good general comparison I think.

I would like to do the same with 12" .308 vs 16" 6.5 Creedmoor just for fun. I can't remember 6.5 CM ballistic coefficient but I know it's high. I would expect 6.5 CM to lose energy slower and drop less.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top