JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
scoles has a critical eye, and makes a generalization that is true: It is virtually impossible to make a takedown gun absolutely consistent for accuracy when disassembled and reassembled, if the rear sight (or scope) is attached to the receiver which is divorced from the barrel at disassembly. I have mentioned the fine Browning .22 Autos, and they almost got it right. Only those who realized how very accurate these little guns were, discovered the minute flaw of inconsistency when the guns were disassembled and reassembled. The biggest reason is that MOST OF THESE GUNS STAYED ASSEMBLED during their life. It was only a minority of owners that regularly took them down. The owner that left his assembled with the scope attached to the dovetail on the receiver would never detect any problem whatsoever. A few more would occasionally disassemble them, discover a minor inaccuracy upon reassembly, and sight the gun back in, and thump jackrabbits all day and never give it a thought. Those who realized how very precise these guns were, discovered that when they put them back together, they didn't shoot where they did before. Redfield stepped forward with the cantilever mount (and a very high quality petite 3/4" tube scope of 4x) to match. Some were even marked "Browning" rather than Redfield. A marriage of the finest rimfire automatic ever made, and the finest optics of the day precision matched to one another.

Another rifle of finely accurate reputation suffered the same quirk: The venerable Savage Model '99 Lever-Action was offered for a great amount of its duration in a takedown version. No one will ever argue against Savage accuracy delivered by their fine barrels, and this reputation was built with the '99. All '99 owners have good reason to laugh loudly at any claims that bolt-action rifles are by design "inherently more accurate" than any lever-action gun. The Savage '99 disproved this "premise" soundly throughout its production, and for the lucky owners continues to do so. The takedown versions were just as legendary accurate: Until you put a scope on the divorced receiver.

These guns have a lock-up that when new or near-new, is vault-tight. A centerfire gun, so no rimfire leeway here. And yet, they still will show inconsistency when disassembled and reassembled as to grouping on target. Mind you: NO greater group size--the guns still drop jaws for accuracy, but the hangup is in repeatability of the group position on target. Takedown guns which have not been graced with optics or peep sights attached to the receiver still deliver phenomenal repeatablilty and accuracy comboined, utilizing their buckhorns on the barrel.

Shot her today. This thing is sweet. Guaranteed, you WILL FORGET THIS IS A TAKEDOWN! And that is the best compliment you can give a takedown.

Unfortunately, I have a real cheap Bushnell aluminum scope, and I stripped out a screw on the weaver ring putting it on this AM, so can't do a full review since I would have to preface all statements by saying that only the front of my scope was really attached, but i did put in some ten shot one inch groups today at 25 yards.

TKevlar's links to YouTube clips evaluating repeatability were welcomed. It seems Ruger has incorporated a knurled adjustment ring that will (or should) allow for some "re-tensioning" of the lockup. This may well be the solution to a problem that has plagued takedown guns. I am optimistic, but still a bit skeptical:

The "Gunblast Guy" (braided beard fella) is to be commended for shooting a group where EACH shot of that group is accomplished after breaking down the gun. He got stellar results. Perhaps a bit too stellar. A ragged-hole group from a box-stock 10-22 at 50 yards would be the exception rather than the norm. (Note that we don't actually see that group being shot.) My doubts are somewhat allayed , however, by his choice of optics, and so perhaps the report is genuine (I retain my "seeing is believing" rights).

The second clip (from a guy more conventionally groomed) by "Kentucky Guns", proves absolutely nothing. No scope on the gun, and yet, he purports to be "testing the repeatability". Shoots rapid fire from elbow-rest on a bench (he calls it "offhand"), and then proudly pronounces his predictably dismal results as being hard evidence. He is wasting our time. The only pat on his back would come from the "picture in a picture" of the target actually being shot.

Again, I am optimistic about Ruger's gizmo to tighten tolerances of the breakdown feature over time. I am healthily skeptical that it is the total solution. More incentive to perhaps purchase one!

TKevlar's links to YouTube clips evaluating repeatability were welcomed. It seems Ruger has incorporated a knurled adjustment ring that will (or should) allow for some "re-tensioning" of the lockup. This may well be the solution to a problem that has plagued takedown guns. I am optimistic, but still a bit skeptical:

The "Gunblast Guy" (braided beard fella) is to be commended for shooting a group where EACH shot of that group is accomplished after breaking down the gun. He got stellar results. Perhaps a bit too stellar. A ragged-hole group from a box-stock 10-22 at 50 yards would be the exception rather than the norm. (Note that we don't actually see that group being shot.) My doubts are somewhat allayed , however, by his choice of optics, and so perhaps the report is genuine (I retain my "seeing is believing" rights).

The second clip (from a guy more conventionally groomed) by "Kentucky Guns", proves absolutely nothing. No scope on the gun, and yet, he purports to be "testing the repeatability". Shoots rapid fire from elbow-rest on a bench (he calls it "offhand"), and then proudly pronounces his predictably dismal results as being hard evidence. He is wasting our time. The only pat on his back would come from the "picture in a picture" of the target actually being shot.

Again, I am optimistic about Ruger's gizmo to tighten tolerances of the breakdown feature over time. I am healthily skeptical that it is the total solution. More incentive to perhaps purchase one!

I have found the adjustment knob useful already. Even when loose, it locked up tight, but I personally prefer a real nice tight lock up feeling, so I adjusted it a few clicks and presto! Nice and easy

I am receiving a proper scope tomorrow, will do some more "testing" in the next few days :)

I purchased a 10/22 TD last week. It is a very nice design and seems to lock-up tight. Scopes could be a bit of an issue as it seems that they must be quite short to fit in the Ruger bag -- it looks to me like they cannot extend much beyond the end of the receiver and fit nicely in the bag.

I like the finish on the receiver -- it seems to be a significant improvement from the painted receivers of recent years from Ruger. The bolt stop pin (B-42) on mine is almost (or maybe is) an interference fit -- so far I have not removed it. The receiver cross pins (B-5) are also pleasantly tight.

At this time the only modifications planned are to shorten and thread the barrel for a suppressor, perhaps install better sights (recommendations??) and install a VQ hammer (completed). The VQ hammer dropped the trigger pull to about 2 3/4 lb.

The 10/22 TD performed very nicely on its first trip to the range. The factory iron sights were spot-on.

I think Ruger has a winner.

I got a Barska Plinker 3-9 for my 10/22 TD, and I can say that you need to be careful with scoping this IF you plan on exclusively using the Ruger supplied pack. Mine is JUST barely fitting in the bag with the scope mounted

Considering it is a takedown rifle and meant for portability a scope probably wasn't intentioned, but a good set of open sights like TechSight or a red dot would be great on a rifle like this. Keep it light and compact. Not really a target or long range rifle.

I allready have a break down .22 rifle.
I think the break down had its place at the turn of the century when traveling space was minimal. Then we moved around by horse or train. Now we all have 4-door pickups.
Still it dosn't hurt to have one if space is tight. And a .22 might be handy.

Got it back from threading today and out to the range scope returns to zero after being broke down also scope doesnt fit into there bag very well

2012-04-13_17-54-13_59.jpg

Got it back from threading today and out to the range scope returns to zero after being broke down also scope doesnt fit into there bag very well

2012-04-13_17-54-13_59.jpg

Ya, I had to adjust ring placement and keep the scope back towards the back of the weaver mount to get it all to fit in the bag. Still, everything is mounted rock solid, still fits in the bag, and its a blast to have a rifle that shoots this well stuffed in a two foot bag that fits darn near anywhere.

I may search out a bag that has nicer straps, carrying handles etc. though in the event that I actually need this for a long hike or something

tornado tech there work is absolutely amazing the machine work is noticeably better than most factory applications I have ever scene

I surmised that is where you went. I was curious because their web site says they are not accepting rifle barrels only pistols. So I was curious if their web site is not up to date or what.

Took her out today with the new Barska Plinker scope. Took 2 mags to get zero. After that, I shot one mag, broke it down, threw it on the bench, bagged it up and took it to grab a drink, etc. I did this between each mag, here's my results (it's an indoor range so I could only go out to 25 yards. The groupings between the actual targets were more speed shooting than for real accuracy)

4c733d02-ca42-efcb.jpg

Anyone see them in stock? Called Keith's yesterday and was quoted $309 but out of stock. If any store can match that I have cash in hand...

Call The Gunbroker in Clackamas, got mine there for $320. I think they had 4 or 5 in stock when I was there. Call ahead, they are coola dn will set one aside. If they are gone, The Gunbroker in Tigard might have some too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top