JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excepting the fancy 2 piece stock the 10/22 is pretty much already a take down.. a lot of guys just cut the stock and make their own for near nothing.. not as cool maybe but it will work

I think they will be hard to get.

437.jpg

437.jpg

I would rather have the Springfield Armory 22/410 takedown

I have one and while they are very cool I do want one of these .22's. Buttler Creek use to make a "take down" stock for the 10/22 but they are $$$ now.

With a take down 10/22 I can ride my bike and still pack a good scoped gun that is threaded for my silencers. If my .22 AR fed inexpensive SS ammo I would use that but it seems to only like $4+/box stuff. There is some great squirrel hunting where I work but hard to bring a long gun on the bike.

I still don't get the purpose of a 10/22 take down a rifle is of no use to me if I need it and its in two seperate parts. If I wanted a more concealable 10/22 I'd buy a charger but that's just me if it ain't broke don't fix it :s0159:

10/22 + Hacksaw and a little finish work = takedown 10/22

A lot of guys even saw off the fore-stock just past the barrel allen screws and just use it that way as a takedown just like the old AR7/now Henry 22. If you need a heat shield for the barrel then there are numerous options including 550 paracord

Takedown rifles are great! There is just one persistent stickey wicket here, and that is repeatability of the sights when the sights (such as scope, etc.) are attached to the receiver. Now: with the 10-22's normal buckhorn sight attached to the barrel, that will certainly be no issue. However: the little Browning Auto (a takedown from initial design, and VERY well-engineered and tight on the half-thread attachment mechanism), was discovered to not be reliably repeatable with a scope mounted on the dovetailed receiver. (Regardless of how tight the tolerances were at the barrel threads, the barrel could never be in EXACTLY the same orientation to the scope at each reassembly of the gun.)

Of course, casual plinkers and the average shooter never discovered the flaw, and were entirely happy with clamping a scope to the receiver: It was the people who asked everything from their .22's, and KNEW these little Brownings were finely accurate who found through experimentation the inconsistency.

The solution became a "cantilever" mount that actually was attached to the barrel, and a dovetail ramp extended as a "flyover" over the receiver. This arrangement insured that when the gun was taken down, the scope and mount went (attached to) with the barrel half of the assembly: solid repeatability when reassembled.

I think it is a safe bet that a cantilever mount setup will be out shortly for the Ruger.

I just picked one up today for 329 at my local shop! They are sweet. The lockdown mechanics are so much better than any other takedown I have held or owned. Plus it has a full forearm which makes it feel like a real gun and not like a toy like other takedowns mentioned...

Great finish, and the backpack does even have the room for some gear and maybe a pistol to take to the range.

Only downside I see is the strap for the bag. Only comes with one strap, meaning it looks like a messenger bag slung over your shoulder, and it has cheap plastic clips to attach to the bag which I am sure wont last long. Good thing they put a nice thick handle on the top of the bag too.

Takedown rifles are great! There is just one persistent stickey wicket here, and that is repeatability of the sights when the sights (such as scope, etc.) are attached to the receiver. Now: with the 10-22's normal buckhorn sight attached to the barrel, that will certainly be no issue. However: the little Browning Auto (a takedown from initial design, and VERY well-engineered and tight on the half-thread attachment mechanism), was discovered to not be reliably repeatable with a scope mounted on the dovetailed receiver. (Regardless of how tight the tolerances were at the barrel threads, the barrel could never be in EXACTLY the same orientation to the scope at each reassembly of the gun.)

Of course, casual plinkers and the average shooter never discovered the flaw, and were entirely happy with clamping a scope to the receiver: It was the people who asked everything from their .22's, and KNEW these little Brownings were finely accurate who found through experimentation the inconsistency.

The solution became a "cantilever" mount that actually was attached to the barrel, and a dovetail ramp extended as a "flyover" over the receiver. This arrangement insured that when the gun was taken down, the scope and mount went (attached to) with the barrel half of the assembly: solid repeatability when reassembled.

I think it is a safe bet that a cantilever mount setup will be out shortly for the Ruger.

This was my first thought as well. How can that remain accurate when the barrel and the scope are separate by that locking mech?? I'm sure someone has done testing?

I just picked one up today for 329 at my local shop! They are sweet. The lockdown mechanics are so much better than any other takedown I have held or owned. Plus it has a full forearm which makes it feel like a real gun and not like a toy like other takedowns mentioned...

Great finish, and the backpack does even have the room for some gear and maybe a pistol to take to the range.

Only downside I see is the strap for the bag. Only comes with one strap, meaning it looks like a messenger bag slung over your shoulder, and it has cheap plastic clips to attach to the bag which I am sure wont last long. Good thing they put a nice thick handle on the top of the bag too.

I am intrigued by your evaluation of the lock-up. I wonder if you have any experience with the good Brownings, and how this rifle might compare, especially if you intend to mount a scope. I would be VERY interested in a blind study (apples/apples strict) during which you would shoot quality (perhaps target-grade) Long Rifle ammo, sighted the gun in, dismantled it, "demonstrably handled" it, (as what might happen between reassemblies), then reassembled and shot at 50 yard range, testing repeatability of a scope mounted to a divorced receiver.

Your work (done well and doumented) might well be a pioneer effort with this new gun, whether or not the results are "favorable". The Brownings did very well, and I will say again it was only the very most critical of users that discovered the anomaly.

Your chance to be an "internet sensation", with your good experiment perhaps to go viral.

I am intrigued by your evaluation of the lock-up. I wonder if you have any experience with the good Brownings, and how this rifle might compare, especially if you intend to mount a scope. I would be VERY interested in a blind study (apples/apples strict) during which you would shoot quality (perhaps target-grade) Long Rifle ammo, sighted the gun in, dismantled it, "demonstrably handled" it, (as what might happen between reassemblies), then reassembled and shot at 50 yard range, testing repeatability of a scope mounted to a divorced receiver.

Your work (done well and doumented) might well be a pioneer effort with this new gun, whether or not the results are "favorable". The Brownings did very well, and I will say again it was only the very most critical of users that discovered the anomaly.

Your chance to be an "internet sensation", with your good experiment perhaps to go viral.

I havent owned a Browning takedown, just never got around to justifying the cost, but have had pretty much every other takedown 22, haha.

I will tell you what, I already mounted my little POS Bushnell Sportview on her, adn will go to the range tomorrow, zero in (unfortunately I can only make it to indoor range though (25 yard), then throw it in the car and post up if i need any adjustments next time i shoot around.

might even just dissamble her and bag up and leave on teh bench while i shoot others, then re-assemble and try again during that session and see what variance I get

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top