JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10 mm Revolver
by B. Gil Horman - Friday, April 27, 2018

gp10_001_rgp4-10mm_w-cover_01s.jpg
When the Super Redhawk review hit the airwaves, some folks chimed in to say that a beefy 10 mm hunting revolver was all well and good for certain applications but they were hoping for a more compact, all-purpose model. With the arrival of the GP100 5-shot .44 Special in 2016 and a pair of distributor exclusive .41 Rem. Mag. GP100 6-shots released soon thereafter, it seemed like a 10 mm version of the GP100 was close to becoming a reality.

gp10_002_rgp4-10mm_gun-right_01s.png

Despite having already launched more than 40 new models for the 2018 product year, the company is adding at least one more, the GP100 chambered in 10 mm that we've been waiting for. Although I expected it would be a 5-shot standard version like the .44 Spl., the first 10 mm GP100 is a 6-shot Match Champion configuration. Needless to say, receiving one to review ahead of its release date put a big smile on my face.

gp10_003_rgp4-10mm_barrel-right_01s.png

The double-action GP100 has been appreciated as a do-it-all wheelgun for over three decades now. The Match Champion configuration takes this platform one step further with the inclusion of IDPA-style upgrades that serve to enhance its use as a field and personal protection gun as well.

This revolver features an all-stainless steel construction. Instead of the milled, slab-side barrel installed on the .357 Mag. model, this half-lug 4.2" barrel has a rounded profile to accommodate the larger 0.40-cal. bullets of the 10 mm cartridge. An 11-degree target crown aids in improving accuracy. Thanks to the larger chambers in the cylinder and increased bore size, the 10 mm Match King weighs 37 ounces unloaded, which is a full ounce lighter than the .357 Mag. version.

gp10_005_rgp4-10mm_barrel-crown_01s.png

The front of the 10 mm Match Champion's triple-locking cylinder is not radiused. There's just not enough metal to do so safely. However, the ejector star and chamber mouths have been lightly chamfered for easier loading. The action is match-tuned and polished. Enhancements include a centering boss on the smooth-faced trigger and hammer shims for a smooth, clean trigger pull in either double-action or single-action trigger mode. The top strap is beveled and the portion of the frame in front of the trigger guard has been rounded.
Tested: Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10 mm Revolver

While I have no desire to own a 10mm, I think that's a great platform for that caliber.

Really neat to see more calibers coming out in different frames

My only complaint about this model is I'd like to see it built with the full double lug barrel. A little more weight out at the end would help manage muzzle rise.

But, I'm glad they introduced this firearm.

With the arrival of the GP100 5-shot .44 Special in 2016 and a pair of distributor exclusive .41 Rem. Mag. GP100 6-shots released soon thereafter, it seemed like a 10 mm version of the GP100

I cant find any model number reference to a 41 magnum gp100 i would love to find one could you share your source please

With the arrival of the GP100 5-shot .44 Special in 2016 and a pair of distributor exclusive .41 Rem. Mag. GP100 6-shots released soon thereafter, it seemed like a 10 mm version of the GP100

I cant find any model number reference to a 41 magnum gp100 i would love to find one could you share your source please

Looks like he was saying it was a distributor exclusive which means it was made only as a special run, if it was ever made. Probably would not show up on Ruger's site. Doing a quick search I do not see any of these. May be a misprint, or may be that some were talking about doing it and never did, who knows.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top