JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Of course, I couldn't buy this at any local dealers, so I had to order it online. Another lost sale for the local gunshops since they wont think outside the box.o_O

I picked up this gun from my FFL today, and I am pleased. I immediately replaced the original grips with the Compacts, and for me, it makes the gun suave and debonair. Quite a difference in size. This gun is shiny. Even without a flash, there is a lot of reflection. I'll now be the brightest guy at the range.

P1030669_zpsikbhcedm.jpg

Here you can see the size difference in grips...
P1030665_zpsf5qazoqd.jpg

You could shoot for a week and still have three shots left over...
P1030670_zpswquaprx9.jpg

WAYNO.

I was just telling my dad again the other day he should get one of these. He has a GP100 .357 and frankly with his age and health I'm not sure he could handle the recoil.

I was just telling my dad again the other day he should get one of these. He has a GP100 .357 and frankly with his age and health I'm not sure he could handle the recoil.
Could load with some good low recoil .38 special ammo and keep what he is used to. Great piece!

I thought that would be a cool piece until I saw Rugers suggested retail and cringed at how much they want. I don't get why manufacturers think rimfire counterparts are worth equal to or more than the centerfire versiono_O. But that is a nice gun and I am very jealous.

I don't get why manufacturers think rimfire counterparts are worth equal to or more than the centerfire versiono_O. But that is a nice gun and I am very jealous.

The ammo might be cheaper to manufacture, but the gun certainly isn't. It has all the same number of parts, same machining, same quality control, same everything. If anything the smaller sales quantities would push the price up.

I thought that would be a cool piece until I saw Rugers suggested retail and cringed at how much they want. I don't get why manufacturers think rimfire counterparts are worth equal to or more than the centerfire versiono_O. But that is a nice gun and I am very jealous.

First of all, no matter what MSRP is, seldom do we have to pay that. MSRP is $829. These actually sell for couple hundred dollars less than MSRP. And I was lucky enough to pay nearly $300 less than MSRP. Shopping around has its rewards.

Second, why should a quality rimfire revolver that's built on the same frame as a quality center fire revolver cost less? The parts are the same, the casting is the same, and the machining is the same. The only real difference is the firing pin. And the rimfire version, with 10-shots, should actually cost more to produce, as there is the extra machining involved in making a cylinder with four more chambers.

Just like another post said...
The ammo might be cheaper to manufacture, but the gun certainly isn't. It has all the same number of parts, same machining, same quality control, same everything. If anything the smaller sales quantities would push the price up.

Damnit @WAYNO you always have the coolest freaking guns.

Ya know, since I am a huge fan of the Security Six and Speed Six revolvers, I've never had much interest in the GP100's. We hoped for years that Ruger would make a rimfire-version of the Security Six, to compete with the K-Frame S&W rimfires. it never happened. Ruger has now finally seen the light, and decided to produce this GP100 in rimfire. Although not my beloved Security Six, it's the next best thing, and still less costly than the S&W rimfire Model 617. And without the horrendous (to me) full lugged barrel of most GP100's, I think this is a very attractive gun.

Everything to me is a compromise, or an experiment. I've owned and/or shot 617's, and for the cost, I did not think their accuracy compared favorably with the older K-22 models.. I'm hoping this Ruger will be a good shooter. And if it isn't, I'll keep searching for a more perfect compromise. I know, that's an oxy-moron.:)

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
You reminded me of the underlug on the GP100, i wonder how involved it would be, or even possible for @Velzey to make it more like the Smith lug.

Anything is possible. But remember, the center-fire GP100 is also available without the underlug. It's made in much smaller batches, as most folks prefer the full length underlug. You wont often find the "lug-less" version in a gun store. When they are produced, they are gobbled up pretty fast. I'm not opposed to all full-length underlugs. The S&W full length underlug is beautiful. To me, I thought the underlug on the GP100 seemed unfinished, or an after-thought. Just a cosmetic thing in my little mind. Since the full underlug model is more popular, not everybody has my tastes. And that's okay too.

WAYNO.

I only ever saw the old models 'without' lugs, are you certain the current models are sometimes available?

You caused me to do some quick research. I found a few older ones for sale, but you're correct, I no longer see them in the Ruger website. I would still not be surprised to see them as distributor exclusives occasionally. I searched there also, and of right now I don't see any.

I learned something today.:D

WAYNO.

P.S. Spent some more time researching, and it looks like the half-lug GeePee's have been gone for quite a while. Since the Match Champion is half-lug, maybe they thought the standard half-lug GP was redundant?
top_zpsov93gger.jpg

Last Edited:
I missed this thread before, but damn, that's going on the 'want' list! :cool:

Is this gun available with swappable cylinders - one for .22lr and one for .22WMR? That would be sweet!

I missed this thread before, but damn, that's going on the 'want' list! :cool:

Is this gun available with swappable cylinders - one for .22lr and one for .22WMR? That would be sweet!

At this time, no. Ruger is great about offering variations after the market is saturated with their first offering. Then they can sell the same product all over again. :D

WAYNO.

Spent some more time researching, and it looks like the half-lug GeePee's have been gone for quite a while.

I have a Dan Wesson 744 that I bought with an 8" barrel, full underlug. That thing was so big and heavy, shooting standard .44's was almost like shooting a .22. But, I wanted a lighter barrel (shroud). I knew they produced the half underlug shroud at one time but could never find one. I also wanted a 6" barrel instead of another 8" as I imagined carrying it in a holster. :rolleyes: Anyway I contacted the factory, what was left of it at the time, and they said they would just take a regular 6" shroud and mill off the lug! Can't remember where I got the barrel, probably from them too, but then I had my 6" half lugged barrel and shroud for that gun. Sure saved a lot of weight.

I only mention it because, it seemed to me they thought nothing of doing that work, as if it was no big deal. I don't believe they even charged me to do the milling. Perhaps any gun can be done that way, if you like half-lugged guns. They might not even need to pull the barrel off the gun (I imagine).