Ruger Customer Service

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Pistols' started by Alexx1401, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

As many know I recently bought myself a MKIV LITE. Wife had bought me a MKIII LITE a couple or 3 Christmas ago and I really loved it. Well while back after cleaning it went together and became a paper weight. Would not function and would not come apart. I had intended to send it back for repair then off load it. Wife wanted to ask Smith about it first she had run into. She did, he said send it back. So I finally get around to calling to try to get a return RMA. Woman gets on the phone tells me to have a firm solid table and empty mag. She had me work on the pistol and damned if she did not get it apart again and so of course back together and functioning fine again. She said she is an "expert" at these that what happened to me happens all the time. That she spends a lot of time on the phone walking people through this. Well left me impressed to say the least. I had intended to buy one of those bushing to do away with the mag disconnect which is what caused all this fun. Since I now have a MKIV of the same pistol I think I will pass on that. Wife has been shopping a Target version of this pistol so I told her take it to the shop and use it as a trade in on that since selling these is more trouble than it's worth to me these days. Just wanted to say I was impressed with the woman from Ruger and her help. I was sure this pistol was going to have to return home to ever work again. Did take a long time on hold on the phone to get them. Probably walking a lot of owners through the same thing I had.

Pops1911, Arleyg, Howard1955 and 12 others like this.
  2. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

...you missed out a complementary cleaning cloth. IMG_2082.JPG

Pops1911, Howard1955, bbbass and 8 others like this.
  3. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Always had a very satisfying experience dealing with ruger customer service, probably talked to the same nice lady I have dealt with.

Arleyg, bbbass and Alexx1401 like this.
  4. 01rednavigator

01rednavigator
    Keizer
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had to send two guns back to Ruger, the first one was a SR1911 that had an extremely loose slide.
    They sent me a brand new SR1911 and paid for the background check and transfer fee.

The other one I sent back was a 10/22, they had some how not milled out a chunk of metal inside the receiver. They fixed it and sent it back in a timely matter.

I have always been a Ruger fan but this made me an even bigger fan.

I have a Ruger SR1911, 4" GP100, 2.25" SP101, 10/22 and a Mini 14.

Needless to say, I love my Rugers!

Arleyg, Howard1955, bbbass and 3 others like this.
  5. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence
    Battle Ground, WA

I bought a Lasermax side-mounted laser for my first LCP. There's one pin you have to replace that drives through the frame and then through the grip, which is actually part of the frame. If it's not aligned perfectly and you're not watching, it'll catch on the grip, stress it, and crack the frame. So, yep, of course I was doing that and not paying attention and cracked it. I called Ruger up, got an RMA, and sent it in thinking they'd just charge me for a new frame. Got it back just like new in a very short time with a nice note explaining that Ruger gives you one mulligan, but after that it's on your own dollar when you screw up your gun attaching non-standard parts. Loved them ever since.

Dyjital, Pops1911, Howard1955 and 8 others like this.
  6. djharteloo

djharteloo
    Camas Washington

I had to send my GP100 back to Ruger when the cylinder/hammer began to bind and the trigger would not pull, even after a very deep cleaning. Emailed Ruger and they sent me a shipping label for fedex next day, and a voucher for a box. I sent it off that night. It was returned to my front door 1 week later repaired (There was a bur on a part in the trigger mechinism that was binding the entire action) with a cleaning cloth, a couple of Ruger stickers, and a 10% off coupon for the Ruger accesories section of their website. pretty impressed.

7. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

I played around with the mark 4 today as I want to get one threaded. My mark III, which is now for sale is not threaded.

After years of taking the mark III apart, I grabbed the mark 4 and hit the little button, I almost cried.

Darn good engineering, and customer service too.

Glad to hear you got the 3 back together as well as getting the 4.

ikemay, Alexx1401 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  8. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

As soon as I got my MKIV all I could think was I hope the guy who came up with this makes big bank for it. He deserves it. The MKII system I can live with and seems fine. The MKIII I "tried real hard" to get over. I LOVE the damn pistol, MKIII 22/45 Threaded LITE. I love the pistol so much I tried to convince myself the system was ok. I gave up and HATE it. It is the only gun I have ever owned that if I have not taken it apart for a while I have to get the damn instructions out every time. Even with the instructions I managed to make it a paper weight until that VERY nice Gal at Ruger walked me through the fix. I still LOVE the damn little pistol but I am afraid to take it down now to clean it. Just use spray on it. Still bugs me that I can't take it down for a good cleaning. The MKIV system is like sliced bread good to me. The only other beef I have with Ruger is the way the mags change every damn time. I now have 3 22/45 MK's. All 3 use a different mag. Have a crap pot full of money invested in mags now. :)

9. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

The Mark III MAGS and the Mark IV MAGS are the same just not their base plates. I too am in the same boat, I have something like 10-15 magazines for the MKIII. I plan on simply buying new bases for all of them when I go to the MKIV.

One big difference I noticed that I didn't do much care for was the size of the controls on the MKIV. They are rather big compared to the MKIII. Especially the safety. Which seemed to get in the way with my thumb. In hoping someone quickly makes an after market version of it.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  10. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

People are probably sick of me talking about SilencerCo, but their warranty cracks me up.

"Our 48 hour repair turnaround even warranties stupid… once."

v0lcom13sn0w, jrd541280 and Alexx1401 like this.
  11. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

As soon as I bought the MKIV I spotted what they had done with the mags, and of course some were already selling new base plates for them. I tried changing one and it "works" but then makes that mag less reliable on the MKIII. It leaves a gap at the base which I guess must allow movement under recoil. So before you buy several of these I would try one first. This may not happen to everyone but I would check before changing several of them, or at least save the old bases. The MKII mags can be made to work with all too but again I did not want to bother. So just bought a dozen of each kind. They are different enough to be easy to see so no problem with them getting mixed up. Wife still wants to get a "target" model which also uses a different mag base. So when she gets one I will get more mags for that one too. If she does use one of the older guns as a trade in I will just sell the extra mags on Ebay. There seems to be a good market for them used.
    As for the controls did not effect me but if it does to others you can bet someone will start offering them. Everything Ruger makes seems to soon lead to an after market since they sell so damn many of what they make. When I bought my MKIV I ordered it since the local shops here could not get one. Big dealers were getting them so fast the little guys were out of luck. The one shop where I checked told me they were a year out. Davidson's of course had lot of them and I like giving him my business anyway.

12. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

Ruger Service Dept. has done me right - twice.

First time they replaced a semi-auto pistol with deformation/cracking around the ejection port. Their dime for the shipping label, no FFL nonsense, 14-day turnaround. In fact they replaced the gun with a different, newer model I asked for, something they introduced after I bought the original. I think I paid the $20 difference in MSRP. They didn't have to do that. But lo and behold, the replacement had a crappy trigger so they repaired that, same shipping deal, 10-day turnaround.

From this experience, I have a few takeaways:

- Not super thrilled with modern Ruger quality control. Two unacceptable pistols in a row fresh from the factory.

- Service Department is responsive and professional.

- Also had a revolver repaired by S&W with similar crisply executed customer service. Responsible gun manufacturers want to maintain stellar reputations. They can afford no less.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  13. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

This to me is the most important. I worked in manufacturing most of my life. I know how it works and it's still not possible to do 100% on anything. It of course sucks when you are the unlucky one who gets the problem. What to me really matters is how they deal with it. Now days with the net companies can get a "bad name" real fast. Makes me feel a lot better buying from one that I hear things like this about. That they do the customer right when they make a mistake. .

14. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

I had a lot of fun back when I was working at a gunsmithing shop putting rugers back together.people would be amazed when I showed them how.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  15. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

I bet. I know in the early days of the MKII when many were still not on the net yet I heard Ruger got a lot of them back in pieces from angry owners. A lot of it was the original manual. It was like it was written by someone who already knew how and did not think he needed to explain it. I used to have one of the originals, and years later when I saw a newer one they (Ruger) had done a MUCH better job of explaining it. Still used to see a LOT of new to the net owners asking about it for years. Then Youtube came along and of course right away some videos. There was even a kit for a while. Don't know if they still make it. It would convert the gun to take down with an allen wrench. I helped a lot of people get MKII's back together over the years.