JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing that everybody should be aware of in this post is that I NEVER slammed Ruger's quality. At one time I used to obtain Ruger's new catalog each year and I was like a child with a new Christmas "Wish Book!" I would go through it page by page and imagine how I would love to have one of these and two of those, etc. I once compiled a list of Ruger Firearms that would make a wonderful Survival battery and the count was more than 30 guns! Ruger makes good products! I've always said so. I just wish that they were more CUSTOMER oriented. I started this thread because I hope that Ruger reads it.

One thing that everybody should be aware of in this post is that I NEVER slammed Ruger's quality. At one time I used to obtain Ruger's new catalog each year and I was like a child with a new Christmas "Wish Book!" I would go through it page by page and imagine how I would love to have one of these and two of those, etc. I once compiled a list of Ruger Firearms that would make a wonderful Survival battery and the count was more than 30 guns! Ruger makes good products! I've always said so. I just wish that they were more CUSTOMER oriented. I started this thread because I hope that Ruger reads it.

I re-read your original post and it appears that your primary complaint is that Ruger didn't design a modular, aftermarket parts rich, Mini-14 that everyone could build, customize, tinker with, and gunsmith on their own. That market didn't exist when the Mini came out, and Bill Ruger never bought into it over the years. Colt's was working M16 government contracts in the 1960's and early 70's, and not focused on a potential AR product for the civilian market. The only civilians who really had any experience with the AR platform were returning service members. The existing adult firearm owning population did not quickly warm to pistol-gripped plastic rifles or a varmint cartridge pretending to be a "battle cartridge". Modularity, as we now know it, hadn't really reached the civilian gun market.

For whatever reason, Bill Ruger did not envision or desire his Mini-14 to fill a civilian surivalist or combat weapon role... if he realized such a market existed. He marketed "militarized" Mini's to police/corrections and foreign military markets when he realized the US military was not available to him. He introduced the standard Mini to the civilian market as the "most expensive plinker" and the "perfect rifle for farm and ranch" in traditional wood and steel. That was his business decision and he stuck with it while the AR market morphed into what it is today. He obviously did not want his rifle associated with the "assault rifle controversy", and that decision turned off a lot of shooters in the process. Then he died.

The "new Ruger", sans Bill, is responding to customer driven market development like never before. They even created an new AR version for their customers who like that platform better. I find their new focus on customer needs quite refreshing and promising. I also like American companies who employ Americans in America.

Dump your Mini's if they so irritate you, and get some black rifles that better suit your needs. Buy all kinds of aftermarket spare parts and stock up on ammo. We have never before enjoyed such a rich variety of firearm availability from so many companies. Heck, dump all your Ruger products so you don't have to even think about them anymore. Oh, and send Ruger a letter if you want to communicate with them about their customer service shortcomings and Mini design flaws. They are sure to receive and appreciate your message that way.

No, I don't want a modular, after-market parts rich Mini-14. All I desire is a kit of small parts such as a couple of firing pins, extractor, ejector and possibly the springs that go with them. I like the gun just as it is otherwise. However, I have read a number of accounts of shooters who had firing pins break. Therefore I think it would be wise to get them now. In case of SHTF, where are you going to obtain these parts?
I coreresponded with the Ruger CEO and he did answer me, but was underwhelming in his desire to help me. This is the ONLY complaint I have about the Mini-14. To an old timer like me, it is far better looking and handling than the AR. But, you can purchase all of the firing pins you desire for the AR in the Shotgun News.
I will NEVER get rid of any of my other Rugers. One of them sleeps close to my bed every night. It is always quiet, never gripes, complains, nags, snores or bothers me in any way. What more could you ask in a bed partner?

I might be in the minority, but I'm actually a pretty big Mini 14 fan. I love the way they look and feel. I'm not really into ARs or AKs, so this is another option in that same realm. I like the wood stock and the fact that it's still a semi-auto high capacity rifle.

And, I just like Rugers in general. I have a few of their revolvers and they're some of the best guns I own. I'm actually hoping to get a Mini 30 before too long.

I might be in the minority, but I'm actually a pretty big Mini 14 fan. I love the way they look and feel. I'm not really into ARs or AKs, so this is another option in that same realm. I like the wood stock and the fact that it's still a semi-auto high capacity rifle.

And, I just like Rugers in general. I have a few of their revolvers and they're some of the best guns I own. I'm actually hoping to get a Mini 30 before too long.

Despite my comments on this thread, I'm with you in that minority. My wife and I own three Mini-14's and no AR platforms. Dario541 is being a good sport with my antagonism, and I also wish fitted parts availiblity was not an issue with the Mini design. That said, I still maintain it was not designed to be a SHTF firearm even though many of us would use it as such. If I were a highly and properly motivated (and younger) survivalist, I would own an AR platform, AK, FAL, and/or M1A1. But, I am none of those things so the Mini-14's will work just fine for my needs, too.

IMHO
Ruger is run by PC lawers that have made deals with TPTB to be held exempt from laws that inhibit thier competitors.
I've owned numerous rugers and I have bought Rugers in lieu of forigne firearms because they are an american company and employ american workers, i want my american money to pay american workers to feed american familys. I'm strange that way, I know.
After much work and swearing I have a series 187 mini that will hold 2MOA with junk ammo. It took me less time than it took Ruger to introduce the 500 series mini tgo make that happen, not that it was easy, or cheap!
I have 50 years experience with firearms, starting with WW1 Mausers and all those sweet WW2 GI rifles that I bought for under $30 when I was a kid! I was an instructor at APG, I've seen the great, the medicore and the pure Bleep in firearms.
My relationship with Ruger is sorta like a Booty Call,,,I'll let you fill in the blanks.
I should have a wrap-up sentance to this rant but after that Booty Call remark, I'm spent!

The Survival movement probably started during the mid 1970's. At that time there were no AK's, AR's or many of the other semi-auto rifles which are so plentiful today. Thus, there was a void which gave gun makers a great opportunity to create "Survival Guns."
Around 1975 Ruger introduced their Mini-14. However, even though it was completely legal to do so, Ruger refused to sell their new rifle to the public! Why? Who knows! So :huh:it was, that, at a time when the Survival movement was growing and there were only a few semi-autos such as the M1A and the Garand available, the public could not purchase the Mini-14.
Finally about 1976 Ruger released the Mini-14 to the public. It immediately became the "go to" gun for the Survival movement. It was not extremely accurate or powerful, but it was good enough for military and police work. Thus, a lot of people wanted one (including me). It handles well and looks good. It is loosely based on the M1 Garand. It uses the current military cartridge. I Mean: What's not to like?
But, for a Survival gun, you need to have extra parts. Sadly, Ruger has always had a ridiculous policy regarding spare parts. They resist efforts by their customers to purchase certain vital parts such as firing pins. Why? I don't know! Most companies will do anything they can to make their customers happy, but Ruger customer service sucks! It should be called "Customer NO Service!"
During the Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban", manufacturers were prohibited from making magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. But, although they continued selling the Mini-14 and could have legally sold magazines of 10 shots, Ruger chose to make Mini-14 magazines with a capacity of only 5 rounds. Why? Who wants a five shot semi auto "Survival" rifle?
The "Clinton Ban" expired early in the second President Bush's first term. It then became legal to make all sizes of high capacity magazines. Ruger was still making the Mini-14. But did they start making hi-cap magazines for it? NO! They continued offering magazines with a capacity of only 5 cartridges. WHY? After-market manufacturers started offering magazines to fit the Ruger with capacities of 20 and 30 rounds, but for years, appeals to Ruger to make factory hi-cap mags fell on deaf ears. Finally around 2008 or 2009 Ruger started to offer hi-cap Factory magazines.
But it was too late! As Ruger dilly-dallyed around through the years, many manufacturers started offering the AR in various platforms. There were tons of new developments in the AR and it evolved into probably the finest Survival gun around. There are tons of spare parts for it. The early interest in the Mini-14 for Survival purposes died out and Ruger lost a "Golden Opportunity" to take the lead in Survival gun sales.
RUGER: You have met the enemy and it is YOU!!!

+100!!!

During tha 70's and 80's there were several Survival magazines available such as American Survival Guide, Survive and a couple of others. Also, Mel Tappan wrote about Survival issues in Guns and Ammo. I purchased a lot of them. I seem to remember that the Mini-14 was mentioned more than any other firearm (although, not by Tappan).
I, too, like the Mini-14. I like its looks and handling better than I do the AR. I like the fact that is is somewhat based on one of my old favorites - the M1 Garand! Although others complain about its accuracy, I consider it acceptable for my needs. I just want to be able to EASILY obtain a few spare parts that MIGHT fail.
That is why I started this thread. I hope that Ruger is reading it! Any machine can break down! Spare parts are essential if you want to be able to keep something functioning when it might be difficult to contact a repairman or manufacturer. I reccommend that, whatever firearm you designate as your ultimate "GO-TO" gun, you obtain some of the more essential parts for it. This is easy for the AR but very difficult for the Mini-14.

One thing that I always wondered about was the apparent way that Ruger ignored the Survival or tactical market for the Mini-14. As we have already discussed, they were a long ways ahead of other fine firearms such as the AK, SKS and, yes, even the AR. But, they ignored the tactical market for at least three decades and lost their opportunity to become the leader in this field.
However, in their 2010 catalog, they have 2 tactical mini-14's. They also offer their version of the AR. Inasmuch as I have always liked Ruger products, I hope that this move is not too much too late and too much too little (make sense?)!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top