JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to forum so if this is wrong area please redirect. I found this barrel in my late step fathers catalog of gun media and always assumed it was for his old rem .221 fireball pistol. Now that I'm looking into bull barrels and other modifications for a few of my ruger 10/22 I see this has striking similarities to a charger barrel. No markings on barrel. I'm stoked that I may have struck gold in remembering this in gun cabinet instead of purchasing one online. Any help identifying would be kewl. Spoon for reference.

2A5B042A-9B29-4AA0-9B96-3A6EF6D89948.jpeg FD4B431E-0B41-4A48-A457-AB1CB3F7F1B5.jpeg 83803F36-F788-46A3-83CF-6E011936BDBC.jpeg

As far as I know, the Charger is the same action as the 10/22 so it should fit either one.

It does look to be a Ruger barrel.

Note: If you have a Ruger Charger barrel only, but no Charger to put it on, and you have a Ruger 10/22 or clone, then you have the makings of a SBR - it is called "constructive intent" or "constructive possession" - and theoretically the ATF can make a case in court that you have an unlicensed SBR.

If that is the case, I would recommend that you remove the barrel from your possession such that someone else has it where this is not the case - such as a relative or friend. Later, when you get a Charger or an SBR tax stamp or sell the barrel or have someone make it into an integral suppressor barrel/etc where the barrel is 16+" long, then you are not in peril of breaking the law.

As far as I know, the Charger is the same action as the 10/22 so it should fit either one.

It does look to be a Ruger barrel.

Note: If you have a Ruger Charger barrel only, but no Charger to put it on, and you have a Ruger 10/22 or clone, then you have the makings of a SBR - it is called "constructive intent" or "constructive possession" - and theoretically the ATF can make a case in court that you have an unlicensed SBR.

If that is the case, I would recommend that you remove the barrel from your possession such that someone else has it where this is not the case - such as a relative or friend. Later, when you get a Charger or an SBR tax stamp or sell the barrel or have someone make it into an integral suppressor barrel/etc where the barrel is 16+" long, then you are not in peril of breaking the law.

Sound advice!

Looks like a charger barrel.
stuff it in the safe and maybe some day you'll make an SBR or buy a blank 10/22 receiver and make your own charger.

Or sell to me and I'll make an SBr out of one of my 10/22's.

I don't buy into constructive intent or possession. If that was the case anyone would own only rifles or ONLY pistols.
I have long barrels, empty 10/22 stocks and Chargers. Wouldn't take much to swap a charger over to a full stock. I'm not afraid of the ATF trying to pin some 'intent' charge on me. Best of luck.

I don't buy into constructive intent or possession. If that was the case anyone would own only rifles or ONLY pistols.
I have long barrels, empty 10/22 stocks and Chargers. Wouldn't take much to swap a charger over to a full stock. I'm not afraid of the ATF trying to pin some 'intent' charge on me. Best of luck.

If you have a firearm that the item would go onto without a tax stamp then you are good, but if you don't, then just saying...

If you have a Charger to put the short barrel on, or you have an SBR with tax stamp it could go on, then you are fine - you can argue in court that the barrel is for that firearm. If not, the ATF/et. al. can argue the opposite.

The ATF is not going to come around looking for such, but it is wise, IMO, to be aware of their mindset and practices on such things.

9873cPi.jpg

I am always extra cautious on such things; I bought a Charger barrel some time back, but since I didn't have a Charger or SBR with tax stamp, and I did have several 10/22 rifles, I gave it to someone who didn't have any 10/22 rifles that could be a host for it - to hold until such time as I would send it in to be used as a host for an integral suppressor (many shops cut down the barrel to a given length then attach the suppressor to the short barrel such that it is long enough to not require an SBR tax stamp).

But you do what you think is best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads