JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

It's going to be a year or two before they're up and running.

I have owned two Remlins first one functioned but had very shard edges and look kinda crappy. The second ones edges are better and functionality good but the finish still sucks compared to my JM marlin. I'm thinking of cerakote for it because who know when another one will come available at a decent price. A JM 45-70 marlin is so expensive and like hens teeth to find.

Last Edited:
The quality, finish, and smooth operation of a true Marlin I believe will never be seen again. The first Remlins were nothing short of an abomination and excrement in the face of the Marlin name.

In recent years gun writers have fallen all over themselves in an attempt to convince prospective buyers that such manufacturing errors as missing parts, chattered barrels (and even barrels with NO rifling) were remedied, while overlooking the sharp edges of finished surfaces, poor polishing/wood to metal fit, and checkering that was somehow even less functional and less aesthetic than the pressed checkering prevalent of the 60's-80's on many brands. Certainly an even farther cry from the machine-cut checkering that literally was a God-send to the industry with respect to manufacturing economy combined with functionality and appearance.
The newest Pseudo-Marlins' checkering more resembled a cursory photograph of checkering pasted on the guns.

I would wish that Ruger would make an attempt to approach the true Marlin quality, and that people would be willing to pay for it. I would expect neither to fulfill my wishes.
I owned a JM 1894 in .357 Mag that was a thing of beauty; well polished surfaces, deep bluing, smooth action, excellent wood-to-metal fit, sharp checkering, and just overall exuded quality. I bought it for $425 used in 2007. Got divorced a few years later and put it on Gunbroker and it sold for $1000. I was also working at Ruger in their Prescott plant as a temp at the time.

Got back on my feet and bought a brand new 1894 in .45 Colt in 2017 and it was a huge disappointment. The high polish was replaced with the typical grainy finish you see on Ruger semi-auto handguns. The checkering was an abomination, all the edges were razor sharp, it functioned maybe 50% of the time, the screws were junk, and the tube follower came from the factory cracked.

Yet people on gun forums were adamant that the new guns were just as good as the old ones. I don't get it.

I don't think we will ever see a return to the finish quality of the older Marlins, or the older Rugers for that matter. My dad has a beautiful old Ruger Blackhawk built in the 60's and the bluing is beautiful compared to the utility bluing that Ruger does today.

View attachment 756990
And the issues you laid out are why I rarely buy new blued guns any more. At least with stainless steel guns if the fit isn't horrible I can preform the rest of the finishing and end up with a gun as it should have left the factory. Razor sharp edges and burrs have no place on firearms but that seems to be the world we now live in.

Well, at least they acknowledged the problem and are taking care of it.

I am hearing of very quick turnarounds, no problems and dramatic improvements with the actions.

You, Sir are an eternal optimist I can always count on. I wish the Henry company all the best in their current and future endeavors.

Speaking of optimism I'm not to optimistic about a property investment firm now owns the 870 shotguns.

Based on court filings, Remington's shotgun line, which is produced by Remington in Ilion, would be purchased by the Roundhill Group, LLC, a property investment firm located in Virgina. The group has bid on the non-Marlin firearms business, which would include the Remington facility in Ilion and Tennessee.

Gun Factory
14 Hoefler Avenue1 Ilion, NY 13357
Steam Plant Parcel
Accessible via Commerce Street2 Ilion, NY 13357
Handgun Barrel Factory 5900 Highway 321 North Lenoir City, TN 37771
Auxiliary Property 6035 Hwy 321
Lenoir City, TN 37771

The bid is to purchase the Ilion and Tennessee facilities and brands

Speaking of optimism I'm not to optimistic about a property investment firm now owns the 870 shotguns.

Based on court filings, Remington's shotgun line, which is produced by Remington in Ilion, would be purchased by the Roundhill Group, LLC, a property investment firm located in Virgina. The group has bid on the non-Marlin firearms business, which would include the Remington facility in Ilion and Tennessee.

Gun Factory
14 Hoefler Avenue1 Ilion, NY 13357
Steam Plant Parcel
Accessible via Commerce Street2 Ilion, NY 13357
Handgun Barrel Factory 5900 Highway 321 North Lenoir City, TN 37771
Auxiliary Property 6035 Hwy 321
Lenoir City, TN 37771

The bid is to purchase the Ilion and Tennessee facilities and brands

This is becoming a Detective Story. I am all a-twitter to see what develops next!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top