JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
MLok is supposed to be stronger, but it's really not an issue. Mlok=VHS
Keymod=Betamax
Magpul Made Mlok and had more pull than the folks that made Keymod, so it seems to be the future.

When I built my first upper I used a standard barrel nut and put a Troy Industry M-LOK hand guard on.
MI also offers an M-lok handguard that uses a GI barrel nut.
Two Piece Free Float

Centurion arms, Troy, Midwest industries, Samson, Daniel Defense, Fortis, Apex, all a make FF hand guards that use a GI barrel nut but most are 1913 Pic rails. Most M-lok handguards will come with a proprietary barrel nut, many do not need to be timed like the GI barrel nut, which is a good thing in my book.

Last Edited:
MI also offers an M-lok handguard that uses a GI barrel nut.
Two Piece Free Float

Centurion arms, Troy, Midwest industries, Samson, Daniel Defense, Fortis, Apex all a make hand guards that use a GI barrel nut but most are 1913 Pic rails. Most M-lok handguards will come with a proprietary barrel nut, many do not need to be timed like the GI barrel nut, which is a good thing in my book.

I had the standard barrel nut so I took my time to be sure gas tube was straight into the my upper receiver. I got close but there was a tooth in the way so had set my torque wrench foot pounds a bit higher to move that tooth out of the way.

For best results, use a steel gas block on an AR.

I agree, I wouldn't use an aluminum one. The steel ones sell for very reasonable prices and .750 is a very typical size. Maybe someone here has one they could get to you (I mean the OP) in a hurry. If not, try right to bear arms. They have been excellent to deal with. The last ones I bought were like $12.00 or something...

MLok is supposed to be stronger, but it's really not an issue. Mlok=VHS
Keymod=Betamax
Magpul Made Mlok and had more pull than the folks that made Keymod, so it seems to be the future.

Something I could really care less about. If it holds the attachments and looks good, that's all I care about... I see no difference in the m lok vs keymod. Have both and use both.. I'm not a combat commando though...

I had the standard barrel nut so I took my time to be sure gas tube was straight into the my upper receiver. I got close but there was a tooth in the way so had set my torque wrench foot pounds a bit higher to move that tooth out of the way.

Yep, the 30-80 ft.lbs. torque spec spec allows for that, torque to 30 ft.lbs. and check gas tube alignment, adjust as needed. With the bolt remove from the carrier, insert carrier into receiver and hand cycle, there should be only the lightest of contact between the tube and carrier key. If needed, final adjustment can be made by twisting a flat head screw driver between the gas tube and receiver.

Something I could really care less about. If it holds the attachments and looks good, that's all I care about... I see no difference in the m lok vs keymod. Have both and use both.. I'm not a combat commando though...

Personally I intentionally avoided having both because wanted my stuff to be interchangeable between weapons. I waited a long time before buying anything other than 1913 Pic, and would have been content staying right there, but the reduced size and weight of M-Lok and KeyMod cannot be denied. The last thing I need is three different types of mounts. By the time that Crane report came out the writing was on the wall and my choice became clear.

Yep, the 30-80 ft.lbs. torque spec spec allows for that, torque to 30 ft.lbs. and check gas tube alignment, adjust as needed. With the bolt remove from the carrier, insert carrier into receiver and hand cycle, there should be only the lightest of contact between the tube and carrier key. If needed, final adjustment can be made by twisting a flat head screw driver between the gas tube and receiver.
I got an old Colt delta pack the other day in trade... It wasn't until I was taking pics yesterday to put it up in the classifieds that I realized someone cheated...
Nice Colt flat ring Delta pack... missing 1 tooth:s0108:
5E313E47-75F6-431D-BE10-7B3548F016B7.jpeg

Well, I ordered a Stinger FF handguard this morning. Gonna try to make the FSB work by cutting off the arms of the sight. I know the low profile gas blocks are relatively cheap but didnt want to hassle with getting it on straight. Ruger put it on so its ON ! I may change it out later. BTW, Stinger comes with its own barrel nut. :) This is my first build so I'm trying to be cautious.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top