JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the 1892 in a few popular calibers would sell better. There seems to be a bit of a lever action carbine craze right now. I fear, and do believe that several states will ban AR's and other magazine fed semi auto sporting rifles. That or effectively neuter them useless.

In that event the venerable old levergun would be a viable option again. I think it still is, but not many agree. It does have limitations.

Me included. I'd buy one. I have a Remlin 1894CB that will never leave my possession, but I've been looking for a 1892 in .357.

You listening Ruger? You'll sell 50 1892's for every 45-70 you make.

Last Edited:
I think the 1892 in a few popular calibers would sell better. There seems to be a bit of a lever action carbine craze right now. I fear, and do believe that several states will ban AR's and other magazine fed semi auto sporting rifles. That or effectively neuter them useless.

In that event the venerable old levergun would be a viable option again. I think it still is, but not many agree. It does have limitations.

Me included. I'd buy one. I have a Remlin 1894CB that will never leave my possession, but I've been looking for a 1892 in .357.

I thought 1892 was a Winchester model ?

If this was a blued/parked/nitrided gun with a small loop and threaded barrel, I'd be in line. Swing and a miss, Ruger. Seems the president/CEO/whatever is out of touch

I suspect the 1895's will be the first release only because there may have been more of them prepared for assembly prior to Marlin closing their doors, and/or the machinery may have been best set up for this model, again, as they closed their doors.

1894's were such a red-hot seller, Marlin was never able to keep up. If Ruger just plain wants
to sell a lot of Marlin's, I hope they get the 1894' line up and running. :s0116:

I thought 1892 was a Winchester model ?
The Winchester 1892, like the other years were NOT patented model numbers. They were 'Models of' 1892, 94 etc. Kind of like a 1911 pistol.

I think the 1892 in a few popular calibers would sell better.
I agree - and in a couple pistol calibers to start such as .357, .44 mag & maybe .45 LC.

The .45-70 has it's followers but as previously mentioned '92s (or 94s) would outsell .45-70s dramatically.

The Winchester 1892, like the other years were NOT patented model numbers. They were 'Models of' 1892, 94 etc. Kind of like a 1911 pistol.

I agree - and in a couple pistol calibers to start such as .357, .44 mag & maybe .45 LC.

The .45-70 has it's followers but as previously mentioned '92s (or 94s) would outsell .45-70s dramatically.

Let's put it this way then.
Model 1892 is to Winchester as 1911 is to Colt.

I suspect the 1895's will be the first release only because there may have been more of them prepared for assembly prior to Marlin closing their doors, and/or the machinery may have been best set up for this model, again, as they closed their doors.

1894's were such a red-hot seller, Marlin was never able to keep up. If Ruger just plain wants
to sell a lot of Marlin's, I hope they get the 1894' line up and running. :s0116:
You're thinking like a businessman.
Everyone is thinking like a customer .
Lol

Model 1892 is to Winchester as 1911 is to Colt.
Yea, another way to put it.

I believe the model years of Winchester were technically patent dates only but were 'loosely' taken as model names so we read/hear about the 'Model 94' (73, 76,86,92 & 95) however not ALL Winchester rifles have the year markings on them. My 1899 has 'Model 1894' on the tang with it's patent date. My other two do not have the year numbers anywhere on them.

Anyway I am not exactly sure about this and someone else might have the correct information.

I don't think they have the tooling for a model 92 - I don't believe Marlin ever made one. I have a Rossi 92 and a Win '92, both in .44 mag, and the Win is a carbine Trapper takedown model with a 16" octagon barrel.

I would like to see someone come out with a .460 mag model 92 like Bighorn Armory sells, but for less than $2K (BHA sells their starting at about $3K and on up). But Ruger will never make any gun in .460 mag.

Yea, another way to put it.

I believe the model years of Winchester were technically patent dates only but were 'loosely' taken as model names so we read/hear about the 'Model 94' (73, 76,86,92 & 95) however not ALL Winchester rifles have the year markings on them. My 1899 has 'Model 1894' on the tang with it's patent date. My other two do not have the year numbers anywhere on them.

Anyway I am not exactly sure about this and someone else might have the correct information.
I think it's fair to say that 1892 (or Model 92) indicates a Winchester top-eject design for pistol chamberings.
And it will never be made by Marlin since Marlin does a solid top and has their 1894 to handle the pistol cartridges.

The late 1800s saw quite the proliferation of lever gun design.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top