JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A while back I snagged this rifle because I was looking for a rifle that fit a few qualifications.

1: American made
2: Stainless
3: Bolt action
4: Easy to find magazines
5: Threaded barrel

I found one by Ruger:
Ruger® Ruger American Rimfire® Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Model 8351

I believe I paid $330 out the door at local dealer from internet order.

So I ordered. I picked it up somewhere last fall and have been using it on and off working on accuracy and finding what ammo it likes.

I paired it with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9 and Warne rings.
9E910324-0BBC-4AD0-86EB-1014B0EE556F.jpeg
FE97945A-BFBF-4C9A-AB89-6256FCA09074.jpeg

Working through different ammo types I started running some bulks Federal and Aguila. 25 yards.
45545509-A9FD-46E4-87AA-DB6B1D98F28F.jpeg

I've eliminated most ammo with exception of the Aguila. The faster I tend to push the rounds the better the groupings have been getting.

Went out the other day for another test run and shot some CCI stingers (1640fps) and Aguila Super Extra (1250) along with some subsonic by Federal.

The below is 50 yards on a breezy day, suppressed.
BBA7C822-75B4-4771-BACB-0C5C96DA0D1F.jpeg

I picked up some CCI Copper (1850fps) and some more Stingers to see how I can do again with a better rest.
B7156245-ED8C-46BF-BE61-327861C924C6.jpeg

So far I have been pleased with this rifle. Very pleased actually, it was one of the reasons I jumped into the suppressor game.

I'll continue to update as I progress with this rifle.

I've had my eye on this rifle in .17 hmr or .22 mag for a while. Would you say that these stainless versions have a heavier barrel profile than the standard American? That's the way they look to me on ruger's website.

I have a savage 93r in .22 mag that I've been thinking of swapping out for a ruger. My savage is very accurate but I hate the stock and magazines. Things that going to the ruger would solve. And I'm just a sucker for stainless.

I'm digging it!

I've considered a second in 17hmr, I'll likely get the stainless. My 22 was a distributor exclusive 16.5" threaded model. I don't need an extra 2" lol, especially since it will likely never not wear a can, one it comes in.

You should try Remington match, mine liked it a lot, but pricey. Mini mags did really well too.
e3269bf0-8a2d-4df4-bf1a-c131c528ef7b-jpeg.jpg
7257efb1-3b6d-4385-8f26-99ecfff1e709-jpeg.jpg

Nice set up you have there. I was just out shooting my Ruger 10/22 td at 50 yards trying a new Leupold Freedom Rimfire scope 2-7 . I was having good luck with CCI standard. It's only 1070 fps but accurate and quiet. It groups a little better than most high velocity ammo for me. Some bags and the right ammo you'll probably be shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards . Good times :)

Last Edited:
I'm digging it!

I've considered a second in 17hmr, I'll likely get the stainless. My 22 was a distributor exclusive 16.5" threaded model. I don't need an extra 2" lol, especially since it will likely never not wear a can, one it comes in.

You should try Remington match, mine liked it a lot, but pricey. Mini mags did really well too.
I almost picked up a box but there were three varieties and at their cost I wasn't ready to spend that much change.

I've had my eye on this rifle in .17 hmr or .22 mag for a while. Would you say that these stainless versions have a heavier barrel profile than the standard American? That's the way they look to me on ruger's website.

I have a savage 93r in .22 mag that I've been thinking of swapping out for a ruger. My savage is very accurate but I hate the stock and magazines. Things that going to the ruger would solve. And I'm just a sucker for stainless.

It's somewhere between the standard variety and the heavy .920"

I can grab a measurement if you'd like.

I almost picked up a box but there were three varieties and at their cost I wasn't ready to spend that much change.
It's definitely spendy stuff alright. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing though!

It's somewhere between the standard variety and the heavy .920"

I can grab a measurement if you'd like.

I would be interested in a measurement, if you had a chance. The target model lists an .860 diameter barrel but there is nothing listed for any of the other Americans, including the Precision Rimfire.

I'm digging it!

View attachment 480054
View attachment 480055

I would love the model number that's exactly what I want :)

A little extra info...

Proper ammo makes a huge difference.

4" plates at 200y with the turrets dialed make for a fun session.

I've got the 16" threaded model and it shoots Winchester 42 gr subsonic very well and with the suppressor on very quite.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top