JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Ruger American Ranch 556 from @LuckySG as my Christmas gift to myself.

Upgrades and additions over the past month+ comprise:

1) Boyd At-One stock in Pepper/Maroon
2) Vortex Diamondback 6-24X52 ($399 retail; used combination of Raise.com for gift cards and waited for bonus discount from ActiveJunky.com = $297 final price!)
3) Vortex 30mm rings ($60 retail; paid around $45 following above)
4) Harris bipod ($80 retail; paid around $60 following above)
5) Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle replacement

Here's the rifle with the scope mounted.

Tested the following ammo. 2 shooters of similar skill. Same ammo order.

1) Wolf Polyformance 223 55gr FMJ (12 o'clock)
2) Wolf Polyformance 223 62gr FMJ (3 o'clock)
3) Wolf Military 223 62gr HP (6 o'clock)
4) Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ (9 o'clock)
5) Hornady 5.56 55gr FMJ (center)

Photos of the Boyd stock install (bedding, lesson learned with forward lug, and post install performance improvement) in the next post.

I also plan to test all kinds of off-the-shelf ammo because I don't have time to hand-load, and want to see if non-match gives decent performance for plinking...because I'm cheap :p

20200112_131836.jpg
20200111_123702.jpg 20200111_123705.jpg

I picked up a Ruger American Ranch 556 from @LuckySG as my Christmas gift to myself.

Upgrades and additions over the past month+ comprise:

1) Boyd At-One stock in Pepper/Maroon
2) Vortex Diamondback 6-24X52 ($399 retail; used combination of Raise.com for gift cards and waited for bonus discount from ActiveJunky.com = $297 final price!)
3) Vortex 30mm rings ($60 retail; paid around $45 following above)
4) Harris bipod ($80 retail; paid around $60 following above)
5) Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle replacement

Here's the rifle with the scope mounted.

Tested the following ammo. 2 shooters of similar skill. Same ammo order.

1) Wolf Polyformance 223 55gr FMJ (12 o'clock)
2) Wolf Polyformance 223 62gr FMJ (3 o'clock)
3) Wolf Military 223 62gr HP (6 o'clock)
4) Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ (9 o'clock)
5) Hornady 5.56 55gr FMJ (center)

Photos of the Boyd stock install (bedding, lesson learned with forward lug, and post install performance improvement) in the next post.

I also plan to test all kinds of off-the-shelf ammo because I don't have time to hand-load, and want to see if non-match gives decent performance for plinking...because I'm cheap :p

View attachment 657859
View attachment 657860View attachment 657861
Looking forward to the next set of photos. Never met a Boyd's stock that I didn't like.

I've got the same rifle and it is an absolute shooter. The Boyd's stock is on my short list to add to it.

Hand loads I've shot this guy sub minute all day long. Factory load wise, Hornady superformance and federal match have done extremely well.

Easily my favorite rifle.

Here is the Boyd stock install. The following modifications to the factory shipment were required.

1) Drill hole in the rear would not accommodate the safety lever. I had to channel the drill hole area. A Dremel would have made the job easier/cleaner.
2) I had to shave half to one millimeter on the left side so the safety lever spring would fit and move freely inside.
3) Boyd provided an epoxy mix to bed the front and rear lugs. I made sure to wipe off any excess. Fit the stock while still "wet". And then removed the stock to allow setting before installing 24 hours later.
4) The Ruger front lug screw is too short for the new stock. Great customer service communications at Boyds. They offered to ship a longer screw. I was able to find one at Ace Hardware after they provided thread information (1/4 x 28 fine; 1.25-inch long; buttonhead). The Ruger screws are 1-inch in the front and 1.5-inch in the rear.

I have a few extra lug screws if anyone needs one for their build.

Same ammo runs following the same order. Immediate improvement with tighter groups.

20200112_132343.jpg Safety Lever Channel.jpg
Safety Spring Channel.jpg
Front Takedown Bolt.jpg 20200113_143148.jpg 20200118_110349.jpg 20200118_110352.jpg

I replaced the factory bolt handle and knob with one from Anarchy Outdoors and fitted the stainless steel handle with a titanium acorn knob. It's best to purchase the firing pin tool for $8. Makes the job super easy. Total cost, including the tool, was under $100, shipped.

20200117_145423.jpg

This video shows how easy it is to do.

Ditto on same rifle. It likes .223 loaded about 2750fps and punches a ragged hole.
I was eyeballing that same stock in a pepper laminate.

I'm hoping to find the same rifle in 300blk that takes AR mags. I think it will go nicely with my suppressor when I get my stamp. Very nice rifle!
That's my regret. Not getting the .300BLK with AR mags

I picked up a 7.62x39 (also from LuckySG :s0090:) and I want to love it, I really do . . . but that stock makes it difficult. :(

Very interested in your long term views on the At-One :s0093:
For you gentlemen that participated in the Ruger buy I had back in 2018, there was an offer to pick up the magpul hunter stock at a price too low to post online, offer still stands. It is a tough choice with the price of a Boyd's stock and their beautiful designs, but I am happy to help if you want to go a different direction, just send me a PM, I have a list of who is eligible. ;)

Half decent results today. Looks like the rifle has broken in.

Warm-up target with various types of ammo getting rifle and shooters ready.

Then I got serious and focused on the dot at 12 o'clock - Fiocchi 223 55gr ($0.28 per round; online).

Next, buddy and I alternated 5-shot groups using:

Wolf 223 62gr FMJ at 12 and 3 o'clock ($0.21 per round; online)
Wolf 223 62gr HP at 6 and 9 o'clock ($0.21 per round; online)
Hornady 556 FMJ in the center ($0.27 per round; bi-Mart sale)

Not bad for off-the-shelf ammo!

20200307_111816 r2.jpg
20200307_111816 r3.jpg

I bought one of these same rifle, same place.
Thanks LuckySG!

I still have yet to shoot this rifle.
I just haven't done hardly any rifle shooting this last year other than before hunting season.

Man that's sad. I need to plan a woods trip real soon.

@clearconscience ... while the rifle is waiting to be used, I would spend some time engaging the bolt while watching TV a few hundred times. This should reduce the "cord pants rubbing" as the bolt wears in. My rifle is pretty quiet now.

Out of the box, the rifle is pretty accurate. But the lightweight plastic/fiberglass original stock is too light. Once I upgrade to the Boyd stock, I noticed a HUGE improvement. If you do upgrade, see my note above regarding the short front lug screw. I have a few extra and am happy to pass along should you need.

I also recommend a replacement bolt handle. I really like the one I have from Anarchy Outdoors. Noticeable improvement and great feel. Yes, I have the bolt tool should you need to use.

The current rifle setup is my favorite to shoot right now. Happy to have you out at Tri-County as my guest when this anti-social mandate lifts.

Thanks for the suggestions and offer!

Hopefully this craziness will pass before too long and we can all get back to normal.

I'm thinking about going out for some coyote hunting just to get out of the house for a day.

This rifle would be great for that, but I need to do some work to it first.

I have a Boyd's provarmint stock on my 7mm Savage action and it's a fantastic stock. Heavy, but feels amazing

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top