Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Defensive Arts
Oregon Rifleworks
J&B Firearm Sales
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Ruger American Ranch 556 Upgrade and Plinking

Reactions
I picked up a Ruger American Ranch 556 from @LuckySG as my Christmas gift to myself.

Upgrades and additions over the past month+ comprise:

1) Boyd At-One stock in Pepper/Maroon
2) Vortex Diamondback 6-24X52 ($399 retail; used combination of Raise.com for gift cards and waited for bonus discount from ActiveJunky.com = $297 final price!)
3) Vortex 30mm rings ($60 retail; paid around $45 following above)
4) Harris bipod ($80 retail; paid around $60 following above)
5) Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle replacement

Here's the rifle with the scope mounted.

Tested the following ammo. 2 shooters of similar skill. Same ammo order.

1) Wolf Polyformance 223 55gr FMJ (12 o'clock)
2) Wolf Polyformance 223 62gr FMJ (3 o'clock)
3) Wolf Military 223 62gr HP (6 o'clock)
4) Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ (9 o'clock)
5) Hornady 5.56 55gr FMJ (center)

Photos of the Boyd stock install (bedding, lesson learned with forward lug, and post install performance improvement) in the next post.

I also plan to test all kinds of off-the-shelf ammo because I don't have time to hand-load, and want to see if non-match gives decent performance for plinking...because I'm cheap :p

20200112_131836.jpg

20200111_123702.jpg
20200111_123705.jpg

Reactions
I picked up a Ruger American Ranch 556 from @LuckySG as my Christmas gift to myself.

Upgrades and additions over the past month+ comprise:

1) Boyd At-One stock in Pepper/Maroon
2) Vortex Diamondback 6-24X52 ($399 retail; used combination of Raise.com for gift cards and waited for bonus discount from ActiveJunky.com = $297 final price!)
3) Vortex 30mm rings ($60 retail; paid around $45 following above)
4) Harris bipod ($80 retail; paid around $60 following above)
5) Anarchy Outdoors bolt handle replacement

Here's the rifle with the scope mounted.

Tested the following ammo. 2 shooters of similar skill. Same ammo order.

1) Wolf Polyformance 223 55gr FMJ (12 o'clock)
2) Wolf Polyformance 223 62gr FMJ (3 o'clock)
3) Wolf Military 223 62gr HP (6 o'clock)
4) Federal 5.56 55gr FMJ (9 o'clock)
5) Hornady 5.56 55gr FMJ (center)

Photos of the Boyd stock install (bedding, lesson learned with forward lug, and post install performance improvement) in the next post.

I also plan to test all kinds of off-the-shelf ammo because I don't have time to hand-load, and want to see if non-match gives decent performance for plinking...because I'm cheap :p

View attachment 657859
View attachment 657860 View attachment 657861
Looking forward to the next set of photos. Never met a Boyd’s stock that I didn’t like.

Reno

Reactions
I’ve got the same rifle and it is an absolute shooter. The Boyd’s stock is on my short list to add to it.

Hand loads I’ve shot this guy sub minute all day long. Factory load wise, Hornady superformance and federal match have done extremely well.

Easily my favorite rifle.

OP
RaceFan
Reactions
Here is the Boyd stock install. The following modifications to the factory shipment were required.

1) Drill hole in the rear would not accommodate the safety lever. I had to channel the drill hole area. A Dremel would have made the job easier/cleaner.
2) I had to shave half to one millimeter on the left side so the safety lever spring would fit and move freely inside.
3) Boyd provided an epoxy mix to bed the front and rear lugs. I made sure to wipe off any excess. Fit the stock while still "wet". And then removed the stock to allow setting before installing 24 hours later.
4) The Ruger front lug screw is too short for the new stock. Great customer service communications at Boyds. They offered to ship a longer screw. I was able to find one at Ace Hardware after they provided thread information (1/4 x 28 fine; 1.25-inch long; buttonhead). The Ruger screws are 1-inch in the front and 1.5-inch in the rear.

I have a few extra lug screws if anyone needs one for their build.

Same ammo runs following the same order. Immediate improvement with tighter groups.

20200112_132343.jpg
Safety Lever Channel.jpg

Safety Spring Channel.jpg

Front Takedown Bolt.jpg
20200113_143148.jpg
20200118_110349.jpg
20200118_110352.jpg

OP
RaceFan
Reactions
I replaced the factory bolt handle and knob with one from Anarchy Outdoors and fitted the stainless steel handle with a titanium acorn knob. It's best to purchase the firing pin tool for $8. Makes the job super easy. Total cost, including the tool, was under $100, shipped.

20200117_145423.jpg

This video shows how easy it is to do.

Dyjital

Reactions
  • Fight For Your Right
  • Law Around Here
  • Woke Up Like This
Ditto on same rifle. It likes .223 loaded about 2750fps and punches a ragged hole.
I was eyeballing that same stock in a pepper laminate.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!
North Fork Wolf Creek Rd public shooting lanes
N Fork Wolf Creek Rd, Oregon 97144, USA
ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks
  • Centerfire Gunworks
    1.00 star(s)
    This shop is an extortion racket. It’s the only one in town and charges like a monopoly. He can’t fulfill commitments and he won’t provide estimates.
    • Emm
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I'd be a lot happier if they were closer to the Couve but they are definitely worth the drive Friendly staff and very competitive prices on ammo...
    • GWS
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    Tricounty Gun Club is an excellent place to practice, train, and compete with multiple shooting disciplines. Members have card key access to...
    • Whisky Tahoe

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS