JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgive me for being obtuse, but what's the difference between the 77/22 and the Ruger American Rimfire? The MSRP on the 77/22 is over 2 1/2 times the MSRP on the Ruger American Rimfire.

Well it seems like a bad time to buy a .22 Rimfire. I have two rifles a 10-22 Takedown and a JC Higgins bolt action (Model 42?). The JC Higgins had been out of my reach for nearly 20 years, but I am the original owner and now it is in sad shape. I am going to do amateur refurbishment. Primarily sandpaper and steelwool, some bluing just to get it back to a protected state.
That said I am going to buy a new Henry Pump, because I can. Then all I will need is a lever gun.
I would love the new Ruger in Magnum... maybe later.

I love my 77/22. The trigger is great and the rounds just land right on top of each other at 50 yards. They are absolutely worth every penny. I have to say, it is hard to actually commit to a $6-700 22lr. It's not for everybody, but anyone that gets their hands on one won't regret it.

What is great about the world we live in now is the ability to get obscene accuracy in a $20 barrel. How much money do you think goes into the barrel of a $250 rifle? Not much. Hence we have the Ruger American, Remington 783, Savage Axis and other unbelievably low priced rifles that shoot MOA all day long. The Ruger 77/22 and other relatively expensive guns like it should be challenged by the new American and the Savage Mark II. My Mark II shoots just as well as my 77/22 and it cost $239 with a Bushnell bore sighted scope and Accu-Trigger. For comparison, I paid $550 for my 77/22 that was unfired in the box from the estate of an old collector.

With the "budget" rifles from Savage, Ruger and Remington(among others, but these are the ones I am familiar with.) being as ridiculously accurate as they are, a working man can own a battery of rifles in many calibers for not much money. I just picked up a Savage 111 with bore sighted Nikon BDC 3x9 in .308 for $500 from Cabela's last week. Next up will be another one in 7-08 or an American in 7-08 with a Redfield scope.

Ruger is an exciting company. Next year is the 50th anniversary of the 10/22. Given their past 50th celebrations, I can't wait to see what they have for us.

Forgive me for being obtuse, but what's the difference between the 77/22 and the Ruger American Rimfire? The MSRP on the 77/22 is over 2 1/2 times the MSRP on the Ruger American Rimfire.

The 77/22 comes with a nice wood stock, the American comes with a "plastic" stock. You can remove the barrel from the 77/22. From the photos I've seen, it looks extremely difficult to remove the barrel from the American.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top