JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My issue with the stock was that it was so flimsy, I figured it would flex into the barrel when shooting off a bipod or bag. I went with the Boyd's on mine.
That's a good choice, I went the route of a razor knife and opening up the channel.

I will be picking up a Ruger American tomorrow.
But it is 308 I also have a vortex dimondback.
So it begins I have all the mounts and stuff .
In got it used .
The Rifle that is .
Every thing else is new

I went today and did some shooting with all 41.4gr H4350 ammo with new Starline brass for the 6.5

I loaded up 25 rounds.
The first 5 rounds I used as a chronograph load. While out at ARPC, I did manage to use 3 of the 5 on the smallest 2" wide swinger at 200 yards. The other two were used on the large gong and the largest of the small swingers. I had hits with all of them.

IMG_1977.jpeg

The load did well with a 32fps spread.

2nd string of 5 rounds: I shot off of a bipod and an ammo box as a rear rest (I misplaced mine somewhere).
Using the bipod and rest, I was able to shoot this string in the center above the orange dot. I thought it was pretty good for 100yards to start.
IMG_1985.jpeg

About 30 minutes later I shot these two groups using my Caldwell Stinger rest at 200 yards.:
5 shot string # 3
IMG_1986.jpeg

5 shot string #4
IMG_1987.jpeg
I was not impressed.

So then I went back to 100 yards and shot using the same rest this group on the right:
5 shot string #5
IMG_1985.jpeg

I'm absolutely dumbfounded how the pattern went from sub-MOA to MOA+ with the only changing variable being the rest.

30+ minutes between strings 1 & 2
Heat not an issue​
45 minutes + between strings 2 & 3
Heat not an issue​
5 minutes between strings 3 & 4,
Barrel was warm but not hot​
2 minutes between 4 & 5.
Barrel was getting warm but group size was still 1/2 that of the 200y bunch so I rule out any whip.

Next steps:
  • Take the remainder of the Starline brass I have here that's new and replicate this load again. I will use only bipod and a rear rest.
OR
  • I may use the same brass I shot today but just neck size it. They will be jumbled up and out of order to randomize what cases get put in each shooting group.

Notice any contact with the stock and barrel differences between the two rests?

I know the gun has action blocks, but the stock still comes into contact on occasion with the barrel at the front when flexed.

I know the gun has action blocks, but the stock still comes into contact on occasion with the barrel at the front when flexed.
On my Ruger American.
I did notice that they say free float barrel.
But man it is tight.
Im talking about dollar bill tight.

I have opened up all of my stocks to ensure they float well. A dremel and a razor knife do wonders. My goal always to to make sure any load on the bipod won't touch the barrel to the stock.

I also don't grip the rifle when shooting. Gravity holds it and my three fingers on the right hand and my left hand pockets it to the shoulder.

I was thinking about putting a bi pod in it .
But I am waiting till I can test what I got.
For now.
Basically I am not looking for a 300 yard group.
That is small as a quarter.
Because I know that won't happen .
But if I can get a group with in the size of a dollar bill .
Im good

I have opened up all of my stocks to ensure they float well. A dremel and a razor knife do wonders. My goal always to to make sure any load on the bipod won't touch the barrel to the stock.

I also don't grip the rifle when shooting. Gravity holds it and my three fingers on the right hand and my left hand pockets it to the shoulder.
This is something I was looking into also.

I went today and did some shooting with all 41.4gr H4350 ammo with new Starline brass for the 6.5

I loaded up 25 rounds.
The first 5 rounds I used as a chronograph load. While out at ARPC, I did manage to use 3 of the 5 on the smallest 2" wide swinger at 200 yards. The other two were used on the large gong and the largest of the small swingers. I had hits with all of them.

View attachment 564641

The load did well with a 32fps spread.

2nd string of 5 rounds: I shot off of a bipod and an ammo box as a rear rest (I misplaced mine somewhere).
Using the bipod and rest, I was able to shoot this string in the center above the orange dot. I thought it was pretty good for 100yards to start.
View attachment 564644

About 30 minutes later I shot these two groups using my Caldwell Stinger rest at 200 yards.:
5 shot string # 3
View attachment 564642

5 shot string #4
View attachment 564643
I was not impressed.

So then I went back to 100 yards and shot using the same rest this group on the right:
5 shot string #5
View attachment 564644

I'm absolutely dumbfounded how the pattern went from sub-MOA to MOA+ with the only changing variable being the rest.

30+ minutes between strings 1 & 2
Heat not an issue​
45 minutes + between strings 2 & 3
Heat not an issue​
5 minutes between strings 3 & 4,
Barrel was warm but not hot​
2 minutes between 4 & 5.
Barrel was getting warm but group size was still 1/2 that of the 200y bunch so I rule out any whip.

Next steps:
  • Take the remainder of the Starline brass I have here that's new and replicate this load again. I will use only bipod and a rear rest.
OR
  • I may use the same brass I shot today but just neck size it. They will be jumbled up and out of order to randomize what cases get put in each shooting group.
how is the neck tension on that starline brass? do you crimp? one thing i noticed when loading 6.5 into starline brass was that i could dang near push the bullet in by hand unless i crimped it, slightly. your load is near identical to what im loading for a buddy. i am using hornady brass, 143gr eldx and 41.5gr H4350 getting about 2630-2650ish and it has been excellent.

also, when youre shooting off of either of your rests, is the stock flexing and touching the barrel? (yes i read your posts about how you made sure your stock isnt touching. i thought mine wasnt either until it was and i had to shave off some more :))

how is the neck tension on that starline brass? do you crimp? one thing i noticed when loading 6.5 into starline brass was that i could dang near push the bullet in by hand unless i crimped it, slightly. your load is near identical to what im loading for a buddy. i am using hornady brass, 143gr eldx and 41.5gr H4350 getting about 2630-2650ish and it has been excellent.

also, when youre shooting off of either of your rests, is the stock flexing and touching the barrel? (yes i read your posts about how you made sure your stock isnt touching. i thought mine wasnt either until it was and i had to shave off some more :))

Checked the brass when I was loading, all were really even with pressure required to seat. Plus...

The ammo selection was random when I was shooting. Between loading all of them and putting in the box to putting in magazine. The random was intentional so if an issue arose from 1 or 5 it wouldn't all be in one group. (Statistically speaking)

Checked stock again. Same, I have 1/8" at end from barrel. Can fit two sheets of printer paper under with ease.

I may add some pressure and heat the stock to banana it a little more from the barrel

how for are you jumping into the lands? i found that loading to the book max length actually was an improvement than seating .015"- .020" off the lands in the rifle im loading for.

it is odd that changing the rest thru you off. maybe im over thinking it and perhaps just stick with one rest?

how for are you jumping into the lands? i found that loading to the book max length actually was an improvement than seating .015"- .020" off the lands in the rifle im loading for.

it is odd that changing the rest thru you off. maybe im over thinking it and perhaps just stick with one rest?
I think overthinking.

I'm actually modifying the stock with brass shims to elevate the barrel a tad.

are you shooting with a can on?
Nope. Not for this type of shooting.

Never again will the stock come close to the barrel.

Lol.

016CA4BB-7AAE-4D5D-9F43-F32941920F3A.jpeg
Needs a little cleanup still to make it palatable.

So much for an attempt at a sub $1K rifle for 1Km. If I keep going it will end up with a different stock and push me over the 'budget'.

Last Edited:
i think it looks good man.BTW the groups you shot are nothin to shy about. i think those groups looks really good.

one thing about me and my shooting is that one day i can go shoot a 2-2.5" group at 520yrds and the next im at like a 5-6" group. i have good and bad days

Nope. Not for this type of shooting.

Never again will the stock come close to the barrel.

Lol.

View attachment 564719
Needs a little cleanup still to make it palatable.

So much for an attempt at a sub $1K rifle for 1Km. If I keep going it will end up with a different stock and push me over the 'budget'.
That should help:eek:

Im not sure about the budget, but that model with the standard rotary mag has replacement stocks available via Boyd's. They aren't too expensive.

It isn't for everyone, but if I have a hard time getting a gun to print on paper well. I get someone else to shoot it.

If that's worth anything?