JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many moons ago I picked up a Ruger American Predator in stainless from a local chain store.

I had been reading good things about the accuracy out of the box with these rifles so I decided to give it a go. top that with the other praises I have for the armed American series rifles in rimfire and center fire; it was a no brainer.

The goal: sub $1000 rifle to shoot sub MOA at 1000y.

The Rifle: $530
Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Action Rifle with Stainless Barrel

I topped it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 FFP scope: $350
Vortex Optics - Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP EBR-2C (MOA) Tactical

I set it up with Warne rings and called it a day! I did though end up putting a brake on it from SlezeBay and it works rather well for $12.
A6DF4392-7A5C-4958-93C9-FEC707825C6F.jpeg

15F80D21-9E36-4A6E-94D6-7FC5F8F39DCD.jpeg

It has been a slow process to get a lid dialed in and today I think I managed to do just that.

Running 147gr ELD-M's and H4350 powder I managed to pattern these groups at 100.

9AA6CEA9-3DC7-4D78-90BC-6A2B1C20D709.jpeg

While not the greatest for this caliber, it gives me a good platform to start tweaking my development and shows where to dial in and put my focus.

I have been eyeballing the Magpul stock but this one is floating enough already and I'm not sure I want the extra additional weight.

=====≠
Today @Baseacegoku accompanied me to the range and with some store bought 140gr munitions it shot sub MOA groups in his competent hands as well.

that is awesome! i load 65cm for a friend. i have had really good luck with 41.5gr of h4350 and 143gr eldx.

i have two of the exact same scopes as you. i love them. only thing that could be better is a zero stop. for the price though, you cant have everything. these scopes are wonderful none the less

my 6.5grendel really likes 123gr eldm and blc2

these .264 hornady bullets fly really well.

Seriously though. That rifle is a blast to shoot and it is so accurate that it can make someone like me look like I know what I'm doing. Once I get my Tikka in 6.5creed we will need to see how they compare side by side.

This is on my bucket list...you guys really need to stop helping me spend my money.

My hunting rifle and main shooter is a 300winmag that I have been shooting for years and know like the back of my hand and I could use it to do exactly what I did today. But I sat down behind the rifle @Dyjital has and shot like I had been shooting this rifle for years. And when it was done my shoulder didn't even tingle. (300winmag is hurty) great rifle, super accurate 10/10 would shoot again.

I have been eyeballing the Magpul stock but this one is floating enough already and I'm not sure I want the extra additional weight.
MDT sells an aluminum chassis that takes AR stocks and grips, and uses AI pattern mags if that interests you.

Also if you want to change down the road:
All bolt action Ruger's, so American pattern (yes this means the RPR), and M77's all share the same thread spec. If your preferred barrel maker doesn't understand this, just buy a RPR drop-in, and buy a $12 nut from PT&G. An AR armourer's wrench works on the nut. Suddenly any Ruger has the utility Savage addicts hail.

Cheers

Last Edited:
Nice build. Great write-up.

I finished an AR10 build in same caliber late last fall.
Found the perfect recipe at 42.3 gr of H4831 (not SC), on a Nosler 140gr RDF pill, seated at max mag-length.
Shooting coins taped to the paper targets at 200 yards. She's a lot of fun to shoot.

Once you find that perfect load, hop on this thread and show us what holes she's punch'n.

looks like your having fun, imo your goal is going to come down to your reloads over the rifle . Get 10 round strings in the single digit SD realm and if you have killer trigger control I bet the rifle does it .

Is there anything done to the rifle other than a scope mounted ?

These Rugers are great budget friendly, but accurate little rifles.

I'll definitely be interested in seeing the progression of this thread.

I've been tempted to "bed" the stock forend and other empty cavities of my Ruger Ranch to make the stock more rigid.

Check out this guy too if you are not going to go with a new stock.

Adjustable Kydex Cheek Rest - Matthew's Fabrication

looks like your having fun, imo your goal is going to come down to your reloads over the rifle . Get 10 round strings in the single digit SD realm and if you have killer trigger control I bet the rifle does it .

Is there anything done to the rifle other than a scope mounted ?

Negative. The barrel is floated enough already for my linking without the need of modifying the stock. The V block design to secure the action to stock is pretty solid. May do a trigger at some point but it's good for now.

Negative. The barrel is floated enough already for my linking without the need of modifying the stock. The V block design to secure the action to stock is pretty solid. May do a trigger at some point but it's good for now.
I like that your reloading for it , that peaks my interest hopfuly you include some reloading discoveries along the way . Good luck

Just checked Rugers website. Looks like the 6.5 is the only stainless model this far.

I'm hoping they make more in stainless.

My issue with the stock was that it was so flimsy, I figured it would flex into the barrel when shooting off a bipod or bag. I went with the Boyd's on mine.