JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First off WELCOME. I have looked at them but never shot one. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. I can say that Ruger makes good rifles.

Why, thank you for the nice welcome and thanks for the feedback. Looking for my "first" .308, thought this would be a good way to try one out for a reasonable price. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's new .22 Ruger, and was impressed.

You guys on here may find this amusing: I'm trying my best to acquire a .308. My husband is getting pretty insistent that I pick one out and purchase it. Am I a lucky girl, or what?:cool:

Hi ya' Erin... welcome to the asylum,

The American is an excellent choice in a entry level .308 bolt action rifle... and the .308 cartridge is arguably the most versatile and adaptable there is. If you shop around, the big box stores in particular, you can find them for under $350. Get yourself a Redfield Revolution or Revenge scope and you're into it for around $700 or less.
Ruger really hit a home run with this rifle. The bedding, smooth action, rotary magazine and forged barrel... terrific design with efficient, high quality execution.

If you've not seen it, "mrbook" has a positive range report on this forum. My nephew bought one last week... I installed a Leupold VX-R 4-12 scope and bore sighted it for him. Yes, the scope cost more than the rifle. :eek:
I also took the gun apart to "inspect" it and adjust the trigger pull. Even though Ruger says the lower end is 3.0 lbs, my trigger gauge saw a bit less than that.
This last Sunday, with Federal 308M, he shot 5 groups that were .885" average for 5 shots @ 100 yds. That's 25 shots that averaged less than 1".
5 years ago, you'd have to have spent at least $1000 to get that kind of consistent accuracy from a production bolt action. These days, Ruger, Savage, Howa and others all make sub $500, sub MOA rifles... that you can get at Wal-mart and Cabela's.

I just may have to buy one myself... how can you afford not to? :s0114:

C

I have the Ruger American in .308. I put a Leupold VX-2 scope on it with a harris bi-pod. As an entry level rifle its tough to beat. The stock absorbs the recoil nicely, the free floating barrel makes nice little groups, and the trigger pull (once adjusted) is smooth. My only complaint about the gun is that the 4 round magazine is a bit cheap (plastic). Everything else about the gun is solid and functional.

I've been using it with Federal .308 but to cut costs I went to the PPU .308 for practice and that seems to feed and shoot fine. I've put about 200 rounds thru it so far (had it a month or so) and no complaints.

Rick

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top