Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger American .308

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by MissErin, Sep 26, 2012.

1. MissErin

MissErin King County, WA New Member

I saw the other thread on the Ruger American .308. Has anyone else on the forum had experience with this rifle? Thoughts?

Yes, I'm new to these forums. And, yes, I'm a girl. :winkkiss:

Thanks!

2. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

First off WELCOME. I have looked at them but never shot one. I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. I can say that Ruger makes good rifles.

3. MissErin

Why, thank you for the nice welcome and thanks for the feedback. Looking for my "first" .308, thought this would be a good way to try one out for a reasonable price. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's new .22 Ruger, and was impressed.

You guys on here may find this amusing: I'm trying my best to acquire a .308. My husband is getting pretty insistent that I pick one out and purchase it. Am I a lucky girl, or what?:cool:

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

Hi ya' Erin... welcome to the asylum,

The American is an excellent choice in a entry level .308 bolt action rifle... and the .308 cartridge is arguably the most versatile and adaptable there is. If you shop around, the big box stores in particular, you can find them for under $350. Get yourself a Redfield Revolution or Revenge scope and you're into it for around $700 or less.
    Ruger really hit a home run with this rifle. The bedding, smooth action, rotary magazine and forged barrel... terrific design with efficient, high quality execution.

If you've not seen it, "mrbook" has a positive range report on this forum. My nephew bought one last week... I installed a Leupold VX-R 4-12 scope and bore sighted it for him. Yes, the scope cost more than the rifle. :eek:
    I also took the gun apart to "inspect" it and adjust the trigger pull. Even though Ruger says the lower end is 3.0 lbs, my trigger gauge saw a bit less than that.
    This last Sunday, with Federal 308M, he shot 5 groups that were .885" average for 5 shots @ 100 yds. That's 25 shots that averaged less than 1".
    5 years ago, you'd have to have spent at least $1000 to get that kind of consistent accuracy from a production bolt action. These days, Ruger, Savage, Howa and others all make sub $500, sub MOA rifles... that you can get at Wal-mart and Cabela's.

I just may have to buy one myself... how can you afford not to? :laugh:

C

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So is your husband, Erin!!! Welcome! Hard to go wrong with a Ruger! Great service dept.

6. MissErin

Thanks, guys, for the great review of this rifle. I think I shall give in to the urge... and buy one! OR, let my dear husband buy it for me :)

7. ORHunter79

ORHunter79 ... Active Member

8. tomcat mv

tomcat mv Maple Valley WA Member

Check out a Thompson Center Venture or Icon. 5R rifling and a better trigger IMO.

9. RDF

RDF nuuk, greenland New Member

I have the Ruger American in .308. I put a Leupold VX-2 scope on it with a harris bi-pod. As an entry level rifle its tough to beat. The stock absorbs the recoil nicely, the free floating barrel makes nice little groups, and the trigger pull (once adjusted) is smooth. My only complaint about the gun is that the 4 round magazine is a bit cheap (plastic). Everything else about the gun is solid and functional.

I've been using it with Federal .308 but to cut costs I went to the PPU .308 for practice and that seems to feed and shoot fine. I've put about 200 rounds thru it so far (had it a month or so) and no complaints.

Rick