JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think your idea makes more sense in the context of a Ruger 77/44 than a Ruger 77/357. The .357 depends upon high speed for its effectiveness, so most useful loads will be supersonic, thus loud even if silenced. You'd need to be shooting .38sp level loads to get effective silencing. Fine for small game at close range, but with a loopy trajectory, very suboptimal even for that. Very limiting in this sort of rifle.

With a Ruger 77/44 you can shoot .44sp, which depends on the weight and fatness of the bullet instead of speed for its effectiveness. Standard 240 grain loads are subsonic. Keith style bullets or flat nose hard cast bullets in .44sp are effective on deer and black bears. Hugely underrated cartridge, the .44sp.

The 10-rounder finally came in. And I must say it looks quite wacky which I heartily endorse. Aesthetics aside, I function tested it by cycling the rounds through the bolt and no issues thus far.

Wacky10.jpg

Ya know, CG, that is quite the contradictory style of weapon, wood stocked bolt action with an extended mag. You ought to consider completing the split personality of this carbine with one of those fancy reflex sights.

Seriously.

I took the rifle out to the home range again for some more trigger time. Random observations, etc.:

• I shot, roughly, 60-70-ish rounds of 240-grain ball through said. No malfunctions and plenty accurate. (I need to order more from Lax. Mental note made.)
  • I shot two CCI shot cartridges through it. I did so because a.) I wanted to see if they'd feed in the rotary magazine. b.) If the craptastic pattern was at least good enough for slithering thing removal. Yes to both.
  • I put 40 rounds through the aftermarket 10-round magazine to see if it worked. It does perfectly. It is a little tighter fit than the OEM 4-rounders, but not a problem. I believe I'll acquire a second one "just because".
  • Blasting pins and making metallic silhouettes fly never gets old. I have no idea why, but I'm not going to overthink it.
  • There is a species of game I have not pursued before that I think this carbine might be just the ticket for. More about that later in a thread in the correct area.
  • Interesting idea on the ghost ring sight. I'm going to have to give this some thought and research. For a quick handling affair such as this, make sense.
  • I'm not familiar with "reflex sights", nor know how they work. A quick google search makes me think this is something that might require a battery, which isn't something I do with sighting systems. However, it most certainly warrants further research. (I'm very open-minded in some respects, a traditionalist in others. Split personality, if you wish. :p)
  • All and all, Ruger puts out a nice carbine. I can't justify it in any respect, but there was a fleeting thought of adding a 77/357 to the line-up as well, but I won't for now. (I still need to the home-work and logistics on a can for this one and that is some time off considering all the factors in play.)
Anywho, here's wishing you all well on this beautiful, sunny day. Cheers, friends. :)

I'm a little jealous. Haven't been to the range in three weeks. Each time I think to go, I get spooked and hide in the bathroom with all my toilet paper!

To circle back a bit; does anyone know the story on the Armscor in 9㎜? I find the .22LR one on their site. And a multiplicity of references to a 9㎜ version, but I do not see that on their site, from the distributor (I have dealer access) and the one custom shop I've seen referenced doesn't have a website and/or no longer exists.

Thanks for any direction. :)

To circle back a bit; does anyone know the story on the Armscor in 9㎜? I find the .22LR one on their site. And a multiplicity of references to a 9㎜ version, but I do not see that on their site, from the distributor (I have dealer access) and the one custom shop I've seen referenced doesn't have a website and/or no longer exists.

Thanks for any direction. :)
That's because Armscor never chambered one in 9mm.

The 22tcm rifle has been converted to 9mm. The bolt face is the right size to do this with more or less a barrel swap.

A gentleman was buying the Armscors and converting them a few years back. Selling them as 9mm rifles. He did this for a handful of years until the rifles became hard to find. Then he sort of retired, or at least got out of the "Novem 9" business he had going online.

If you want more info ask Tim. He has my Armscor in 22tcm right now!

I was farting around Silencer Shop today and see the Hybrid is out of stock. Further gassy exploration resulted in coming across the Liberty Cosmic. It appears to handle the .44 Magnum and the price is right.

33-1024x683.jpg

Thoughts on this can? Anyone know if it can be be adapted to 11/16 x 24 tpi? Thanks!

Looks like a monocore design, not a big fan of monocores. For that price range why not look at something like the Rugged Obsidian 45. The Obsidian 45 you can also use on your Mac10 and is full auto rated. I didn't look far enough into the liberty once I saw it was a monocore to see if it was full auto rated. Very similar caliber list between the two but you get a K configuration option with the Obsidian which would be nice when you want to go packing your 77 through the woods.

• Interesting idea on the ghost ring sight. I'm going to have to give this some thought and research. For a quick handling affair such as this, make sense.
  • I'm not familiar with "reflex sights", nor know how they work. A quick google search makes me think this is something that might require a battery, which isn't something I do with sighting systems. However, it most certainly warrants further research. (I'm very open-minded in some respects, a traditionalist in others. Split personality, if you wish. :p)
  • :)
If not previously mentioned, the Gunsite Scout from Ruger has a neat ghost ring sight that mounts in the scope dovetail at the rear of the action that might be a good addition.
From what I've read the battery life in the reflex sights is very long and failure is extremely rare, but it's always possible. Otherwise I think one would be useful on a carbine.

OR, something like this would be a great fit for that Ruger.

Shameless plug for what I think is a great deal. Love my VX-R and even if the battery takes a crap, the reticle is still functinoal.

Thanks all for the details.

The Rugged Obsidian 45 looks like it would work. For reasons I can't recall, I was under the impression it could not handle full house .44 Magnum loads, but only Specials. A look at their site seems to indicate that understanding was in error, and that as long as the barrel is greater than 16", should be good to go.

Now to look at the logistics of getting another can in the pipeline. It has been insanely busy.

If not previously mentioned, the Gunsite Scout from Ruger has a neat ghost ring sight that mounts in the scope dovetail at the rear of the action that might be a good addition.

That does sound like the ticket. I can't seem to find said on Ruger's site and when I inquired a week later I received a single sentence "The only sights we offer are the flip up sights." Would you happen to have a link? Thanks so much.

Beyond that, the silencer is now pending approval, so this project is moving. :)

So, among a great many things, the sighting system on this one was on my mind whilst hiking about this past week. I had actually acquired a lower power Leopold scope months ago, but returned it for a refund after initial shooting. The present sights are not bad, but I am thinking of an upgrade. And, candidly, my eyes aren't getting any younger.

Options:

• Light, lower power, quality scope. I've learned long ago you get what you pay for with glass, so am not going to bother with junk.
  • I don't know if they are made for them, but buckhorn sights like on the .44 Magnum levergun we have in the battery.
  • Some sort of ghost-ring type sights as mentioned above.
  • One of those red dot (or similar) setups. I have next to zero experience with them because I shy away from any sighting system requiring batteries. But I do realize the technology has come a very long way indeed and it is worth considering on a light handling carbine such as this.
Of those, I'm heavily leaning towards the first, but am open to ideas. (One other possible thing to consider; once the feds approve the tax stamp, this one will be wearing a silencer.)

Anyway, it is fun to kick around ideas.

Looks into a Prism site of high quality. It uses a glass etched reticle so even if the battery goes out or the electronics fail, you still have a standard black reticle. I have an astigmatism and get a slight sunburst from traditional red dots but with a prism red dot optic that doesn't occur. There are a few good options out there but it seems the top prism optic is the recently released Primary Arms GLX 2x.

I have a Sig Sauer 3x prism I am playing with now and it is nice but I want something with lower magnification and I think the 2x GLX will do nicely for my purposes. It is also considerably smaller and lighter. I like the LPVO's but if the Leupold didn't work for you then you are going to have to spend double to get to the next level. I have Leupold LPVO VXR, VX3i, Trijicon Credo 1-8 and Nightforce NX8 1-8. The Leupolds are nice for what they are and the price point they sit at, they are light and I haven't had any issues to date. The Trijicon is a heavy beast for what it is but has good optics, acts like a red dot on 1x and is almost a true 1x and dialed up to 8x it will do long range work, has pop up dials if you like twisting nobs and excellent red and green illuminated reticle that is true daylight bright. The NX8 is lighter and my favorite, does everything the Trijicon does and if it weren't so expensive I would replace all my other LPVO's with one. Kahles is supposed to be top of the class but I have not had the chance to look through one yet. I don't do Vortex but they have some options.

What is your budget?

Thank you @ORhutner, I appreciate the insight.

I'm not familiar with the options you mentioned, but I will check them out. When it comes to sights, all but one of our long arms have iron sights, with the one with the telescope site having been gifted. So, this is an area I'm not up on the latest and greatest.

As to budget, I'd like to keep it under a grand, and hopefully less. The Leopold I'm thinking of, as wells one the electronic sights, are floating around the three bill mark (give or take), so maybe this is doable. If not, not.

As mentioned previously mentioned, this one will wear a silencer, so whatever sight would have to clear that. I reasonably believe most options will, but it is a consideration.

Anywho, thanks again. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads