JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the cx4 and Tavor. The cx4 would be weird in wood, and it is a weird little space gun, And I don't think you could do a tavor in wood or aluminum that would be liftable. To me, those weirdos get a pass. Most of the traditionally plasticky guns I replace plastic for metal. I don't trust plastic in general. I guess living a few years in the Mojave convinced me I want things that don't melt if left in the car. Maybe the plastic is good enough. Maybe it's not. Also living in the Mojave and being a roofer there for several summers convinced me I hate heat.

Other than that, I love your wacky build threads.

I'm fairly certain Boyd's makes stocks for these. So that plastic fantastic stock could be easily replaced.

I have a couple 77/357 rifles. One has a Boyds laminate stock. The other has the plastic stock. The Boyds stock is a fair amount heavier and changes the feel of the rifle. I like it, but it doesn't feel as handy as it did with the plastic stock.

I picked the second one up from a member here to run as a suppressor host. Was thinking about having the first one threaded, and this one showed up available. Former owner shortened and threaded the barrel, re-chambered it slightly shorter for .38 special, permanently installed a shroud for the suppressor, and did some work on the trigger and action to slick it up. They both are lots of fun!

3DFE50B8-B33E-463B-A935-7A51F149BC8A.jpeg

Last Edited:
I see both Numrich and Midway have walnut stocks for the 77/44, but none listed for 77/357. With the latter, Midway, the aforementioned stock turns up in the search results for the 77/357. Question: are they interchangeable? Thanks.

I see both Numrich and Midway have walnut stocks for the 77/44, but none listed for 77/357. With the latter, Midway, the aforementioned stock turns up in the search results for the 77/357. Question: are they interchangeable? Thanks.
I believe they are interchangeable via the reviews on Midway.

After doing a bunch of comparison shopping and going back and forth, last night I ordered a Ruger 77/44. It looks like this:

Ruger-77-44-7416-736676074167.jpg

Why?

• Though the 77/357 would be easier to suppress considering current inventory, I really prefer the .44 Magnum, for a variety of reasons. (And on my "short list" is a can that will handle rifle and big bore cartridges. Not right away, but probably after the machine-gun project is fully done.)
  • It is already threaded (11/16 x 24 tpi) and has a thread protector in place for now.
  • It already has a nice Walnut stock.
  • This rifle cost less than the 77/357, though, candidly, it wasn't enough difference to give a rip.
I will take pictures when it comes in. Cheers, friends. :)

Dad has the 77/44 Stainless and plastic, naturally he wanted nice wood, so we got a Boyds for it and he is as happy as can be!
Went with the green camo laminate and gave it several thick coats of spar urethane and mixed in clear blasting silica for the grip and forend, and after masking it off in a nice pattern ( like the Newer Remmy 700's) it turned out amazing! It's a real shoota too, to no ones surprise! :D

Looks like this!
1582746462332.png

After doing a bunch of comparison shopping and going back and forth, last night I ordered a Ruger 77/44. It looks like this:

View attachment 663755

Why?

• Though the 77/357 would be easier to suppress considering current inventory, I really prefer the .44 Magnum, for a variety of reasons. (And on my "short list" is a can that will handle rifle and big bore cartridges. Not right away, but probably after the machine-gun project is fully done.)
  • It is already threaded (11/16 x 24 tpi) and has a thread protector in place for now.
  • It already has a nice Walnut stock.
  • This rifle cost less than the 77/357, though, candidly, it wasn't enough difference to give a rip.
I will take pictures when it comes in. Cheers, friends. :)
Nicely done! If I wasn't two projects deep, I'd consider a 77/357 myself, especially now that they are making them threaded from the factory.

Close bud in Union, OR did a .44 Ruger bolt toward supression for hogs in Texas. (Goes there with Kansas cousins in a huge caravan each March.)

Secondly, big sigh of relief here that I wasn't gunna hafta convince the Country Gent to instantly bastardize his 77/357 to .256 Win Mag.

If supression is your inclination I might supply you with his solution. He DID hafta buy the license. Be aware: it opens your home to unannounced invasion.

I think he met his buddy got a license to manufacture.

Ah, that would make more sense because having a stamped item in no way, shape, or form opens one's home up for inspection, sans a warrant. Any kind of FFL and they can audit you once a year; I was inspected once as a 03FFL (C&R) licensee, but haven't been as a 01FFL (Dealer). The former was at my home address, the latter is at my office address. :)

I'd be curious what silencer he went with.

Sounds ominous. What are you referring to?
The license intrudes on the parameters of your otherwise recognized rights of search and seizure toward your home. Many feel (or believe) that these intrusion allowances are so rare in history and prediction that they may not be engaged, and the trade-off is warranted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top