JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In its final form now and ready for a month in Montana: The Ruger 77/256:

P7220353.JPG

It is my firm belief this is the very first one ever built. Early '60's Marlin brochures with the debut of the .256 Winchester Magnum (as chambered in the Marlin Model 62 Levermatics) talked of application of the cartridge to a list of game that topped out at "Wolves". The cartridge is capable of that and more as I proved to myself a few years back by taking a nice Pronghorn buck with one shot. However, with Marlin's early reference (and having seen the dramatic effect of this cartridge on multiple Coyotes) I have chosen to call this conversion "The Wolfer".

I appealed to Members of this site a while back asking for suggested improvements toward a Ruger M77/357 and then revealed my end game when I got the re-barreled gun back from Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. See thread Ruger 77/357: best modification

Since that time the gun has had the Shivley Shims installed in the bolt (amazingly taking up the "built-in tolerance slack" in the two-piece rear-lockup arrangement), and an impressive dip done by HGI (Hydro Graphics Incorporated) in Newberg. Optics are a silver finished Leupold 3x-9x Compact. The barrel is by Dan Lilja (screwed on by his neighbor Dennis Olson).

The preferred load (so far) is a 70gr Sierra BlitzKing propelled by 17.5gr of AA1680 and a Federal Small Rifle Benchrest primer, doing 2510fps from the heavy sporter 21" tube. I modify these bullets prior to loading by buffing the plastic tip down to a semi-spitzer in order to achieve proper overall length to operate in the rotary magazine. (Learned this technique working with box-magazine Hornets in order to utilize better bullets than commonly offered for that cartridge).
Groups are now averaging .90" with a noticed improvement since I installed the bolt shims, along with the Timney upgrade to the trigger.

I'm happier'n a hound dog in a coon den.

P7220352.JPG P7220357.JPG

Last Edited:
A friend of mine built this exact cartridge/rifle combination about 7 years ago. He loves it.

256 is a cool little cartridge, I played around with a re-barreled Ruger #3 about 10 years ago. It was really accurate.

A friend of mine built this exact cartridge/rifle combination about 7 years ago. He loves it.

256 is a cool little cartridge, I played around with a re-barreled Ruger #3 about 10 years ago. It was really accurate.

I would be very interested toward the possibility of contacting anyone who has done this conversion previously in order to compare notes, materials and data. Lilhigbee and I have corresponded in some depth regarding the cartridge itself.

I would be very interested toward the possibility of contacting anyone who has done this conversion previously in order to compare notes, materials and data. Lilhigbee and I have corresponded in some depth regarding the cartridge itself.

He owns Gunners (gun shop) in Redmond Oregon. I don't have the number handy but you could google it.

The .256 is a wonderfully accurate little Cartridge I just wish the Folks at Smith and Wesson had used it in their Model 53 but then again I'm not sure if it would have made any difference.

The .22 Remington "Jet" Magnum is an Extremely Accurate Cartridge to Fire but it is ALSO VERY Slow Reloading. Things have to be Extremely Clean and DRY!

I've fired 1/2 MOA Groups off the Bench at 200 meters! With Factory Ammunition!

Update:

Group size aggregate average of four (4) 3-shot groups shot in sequence on one piece of paper:

.8205"

The .256 Winchester Magnum is the strong strapping child worthy of every portion of its name.

Nice!
Lilja barrel is one if not the best.
I wonder what you have found to be the 'range' in gas. Of min. To max. With your powder selection. 2 grains? I know Hornet is very narrow.
What other powders are suitable. Just wondering...

Nice set up!

IMR4227 comes highly recommended for the cartridge (Sierra book accuracy load at 14.3gr with a 75gr bullet) and that is what I have loaded for the Marlins. I have had such good luck with AA1680 in the Hornets and .25-20's and it turned out to work very well for the .256.

I would agree from chrono readings and accuracy results that very slow loads in this cartridge do not group very well, and if one pushes the envelope on the hot side the negatives erupt pretty quickly. When trying AA1680 I had very little or no previous data and so got to experience the entire range of mild to wild. The sweet spot accuracy-wise happened right where it should: At the velocity where SD's leveled out and beneath powder charges that showed any velocity spikes.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am about to do this same project! I would love to hear barrel MFR and twist rate recommendations if you've got them! I would also like to know how you came up with 21" bbl length. I would love to maximize velocity with a longer bbl, but honestly like the idea of a short barrel as a truck or light pack gun too. I imagine this is not a long range cartridge regardless of how long the barrel is, so I'm approaching it as trying to get a compact, flat shooting 150 yard rifle.

I look forward to learning from you all!

In its final form now and ready for a month in Montana: The Ruger 77/256:

View attachment 607917

It is my firm belief this is the very first one ever built. Early '60's Marlin brochures with the debut of the .256 Winchester Magnum (as chambered in the Marlin Model 62 Levermatics) talked of application of the cartridge to a list of game that topped out at "Wolves". The cartridge is capable of that and more as I proved to myself a few years back by taking a nice Pronghorn buck with one shot. However, with Marlin's early reference (and having seen the dramatic effect of this cartridge on multiple Coyotes) I have chosen to call this conversion "The Wolfer".

I appealed to Members of this site a while back asking for suggested improvements toward a Ruger M77/357 and then revealed my end game when I got the re-barreled gun back from Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. See thread Ruger 77/357: best modification

Since that time the gun has had the Shivley Shims installed in the bolt (amazingly taking up the "built-in tolerance slack" in the two-piece rear-lockup arrangement), and an impressive dip done by HGI (Hydro Graphics Incorporated) in Newberg. Optics are a silver finished Leupold 3x-9x Compact. The barrel is by Dan Lilja (screwed on by his neighbor Dennis Olson).

The preferred load (so far) is a 70gr Sierra BlitzKing propelled by 17.5gr of AA1680 and a Federal Small Rifle Benchrest primer, doing 2510fps from the heavy sporter 21" tube. I modify these bullets prior to loading by buffing the plastic tip down to a semi-spitzer in order to achieve proper overall length to operate in the rotary magazine. (Learned this technique working with box-magazine Hornets in order to utilize better bullets than commonly offered for that cartridge).
Groups are now averaging .90" with a noticed improvement since I installed the bolt shims, along with the Timney upgrade to the trigger.

I'm happier'n a hound dog in a coon den.

View attachment 607918View attachment 607919
You need to quote the op to jangle their chain unless they subscribed to their own thread..

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am about to do this same project! I would love to hear barrel MFR and twist rate recommendations if you've got them! I would also like to know how you came up with 21" bbl length. I would love to maximize velocity with a longer bbl, but honestly like the idea of a short barrel as a truck or light pack gun too. I imagine this is not a long range cartridge regardless of how long the barrel is, so I'm approaching it as trying to get a compact, flat shooting 150 yard rifle.

I look forward to learning from you all!

Another sicko. Welcome to the ward.

The Marlin 62's claimed a 1 in 14" twist. Both of mine (repeatedly measured because I thought I was doing something wrong) came to 13.5".
I specified the Wolfer barrel to be 1 in 12. This leans more to a longer bullet than the 60gr factory load. My Marlins are currently fed a 75gr Hornady V-max. Since Sierra came out with the 70gr BlitzKing later, the Wolfer was fed that. Groups averaging .82" indicate twist is compatible.

The 21" barrel was principally for aesthetics: This is a relatively compact gun overall and I did not want to detract from that. Not sure a longer barrel would show a dramatic velocity gain with this small cartridge.

I see you missed a chance at a 77/357 in the classifieds here. Wait time may be lengthy if you ordered one new. (Mine took 6 months to get from Ruger, and that was ordered by a shop owner under his promotional points for sales direct from the factory). Your expectations (150 yard practical range) for the .256 are perfect. The gun anchored a Coyote at 175, no sweat.

Additional threads regarding this gun are:
/

When you get the raw-material rifle, I would be happy to offer any advice. I started by ordering a magazine (.357). Since I had the dies (forming and FL), I mocked up dummy cartridges just so I could fiddle with how it stacked and fed. That kept me occupied awaiting the rifle from Ruger. Dies show up at gun shows (an ancient gathering of years gone by) in surprising regularity. Nobody wants them except us sickos.:confused:

Last Edited:
Another sicko. Welcome to the ward.

The Marlin 62's claimed a 1 in 14" twist. Both of mine (repeatedly measured because I thought I was doing something wrong) came to 13.5".
I specified the Wolfer barrel to be 1 in 12. This leans more to a longer bullet than the 60gr factory load. My Marlins are currently fed a 75gr Hornady V-max. Since Sierra came out with the 70gr BlitzKing later, the Wolfer was fed that. Groups averaging .82" indicate twist is compatible.

The 21" barrel was principally for aesthetics: This is a relatively compact gun overall and I did not want to detract from that. Not sure a longer barrel would show a dramatic velocity gain with this small cartridge.

I see you missed a chance at a 77/357 in the classifieds here. Wait time may be lengthy if you ordered one new. (Mine took 6 months to get from Ruger, and that was ordered by a shop owner under his promotional points for sales direct from the factory). Your expectations (150 yard practical range) for the .256 are perfect. The gun anchored a Coyote at 175, no sweat.

Additional threads regarding this gun are:
/

Thank you! I'm happy to have finally arrived! ;)

Man, I'm excited to dig into the additional threads you posted! I need some new binge material!

I did miss the one in the classified and they are out of stock everywhere right now (along with everything else), but I will not be deterred! lol!

I even looked at a TC barrel from Match Grade Machine to play with in the meantime. :) What I found interesting was that their only offerings for TR were 7, 7.5 or 10. I get that it would help to be that fast with heavier bullets, but is there any concern with lighter bullets at that rate?

I was thinking about sticking with the OEM length of 18.5" as I like the look and, as you mentioned, don't expect much additional velocity gain with a longer, heavier barrel. 21" seems like a nice compromise if there is at least some gain with those extra few inches.

I suspect I'll load up on magazines, switch to a Boyds laminate stock and likely look for some formed brass to begin with. I handload but haven't done any forming and am not sure I want to start if I don't have to.

Man...I do miss gun shows. :( Although...what I really miss are the old school gun shows which were already fading away before the pandemic fiasco. The shows I went to over the last several years had few used guns and the old timers with decades worth of parts were no where to be seen.

Jim

If you have a Contender frame, that would be a MUCH more economical route to a .256 rifle.

Bullberry barrel works would be a source for the barrel. With the Contender, you would not have to modify the modern plastic tipped bullets to fit a magazine.
Since the cartridge speaks better with lighter bullets (60-75 grains), slower twist is preferred. 1 in 10 would probably work, though. Custom Contender barrel makers SHOULD produce a barrel to your specifications.

Many .256 loaders get away with FL sizing only to make brass. They report minimal to moderate mortality rate.
Since I got forming dies with my first Marlin, I anneal and do the 3-step forming process. Zero mortality.

Davidsons might be an outfit to consult for eta on a 77/357. They have a sort of "sweetheart" deal with Ruger.

Re awaking this thread makes me want the 77 in 22 Hornet even more now! Especially the 18" threaded model.

If you have a Contender frame, that would be a MUCH more economical route to a .256 rifle.

Bullberry barrel works would be a source for the barrel. With the Contender, you would not have to modify the modern plastic tipped bullets to fit a magazine.
Since the cartridge speaks better with lighter bullets (60-75 grains), slower twist is preferred. 1 in 10 would probably work, though. Custom Contender barrel makers SHOULD produce a barrel to your specifications.

Many .256 loaders get away with FL sizing only to make brass. They report minimal to moderate mortality rate.
Since I got forming dies with my first Marlin, I anneal and do the 3-step forming process. Zero mortality.

Davidsons might be an outfit to consult for eta on a 77/357. They have a sort of "sweetheart" deal with Ruger.

I have a Contender barrel in 5mm which I love, but a single shot is tough to be satisfied with when you get into a bunch of sage rats. :)

I may have to design an aftermarket magazine for the 77 to accept ballistic tips. I'll have to see what the feasibility of that is once I have the gun in hand.

I'll have to think about TR. I hope to put it to work on sage rats and/or prairie dogs, but would also like to use it for blacktail deer where range is limited due to terrain and/or surrounding structures. I suspect a spitzer type 75gr would do the trick for that but I haven't looked at any ballistic data yet.

I'm hoping that by the time I get a barrel made and the gun swapped over to 256, I can get some brass on order from one of the shops that make it. Everything is backordered right now, so we'll have to see what sort of lead times there are.

I was very lucky yesterday and bought both a rifle and a set of 256 FL dies! :) Thanks for the tip on Davidsons though! I will give them a look as I suspect I will like the 357 enough to have one in that caliber too eventually. lol

I have a Contender barrel in 5mm which I love, but a single shot is tough to be satisfied with when you get into a bunch of sage rats. :)

I may have to design an aftermarket magazine for the 77 to accept ballistic tips. I'll have to see what the feasibility of that is once I have the gun in hand.

I'll have to think about TR. I hope to put it to work on sage rats and/or prairie dogs, but would also like to use it for blacktail deer where range is limited due to terrain and/or surrounding structures. I suspect a spitzer type 75gr would do the trick for that but I haven't looked at any ballistic data yet.

I'm hoping that by the time I get a barrel made and the gun swapped over to 256, I can get some brass on order from one of the shops that make it. Everything is backordered right now, so we'll have to see what sort of lead times there are.

I was very lucky yesterday and bought both a rifle and a set of 256 FL dies! :) Thanks for the tip on Davidsons though! I will give them a look as I suspect I will like the 357 enough to have one in that caliber too eventually. lol

See my comments regarding "buffing" the plastic tipped bullets to operate in magazines otherwise too short to accommodate. No loss of accuracy in direct comparison to un-buffed bullets (loaded singly in both the Marlins and the Ruger). Eminently more practical than "designing" a magazine.

As to big game, the 75gr V-max operated much as a reliable big game bullet when launched at .256 velocity. On a mature pronghorn buck at 110 yards, the bullet entered the brisket (goat was quartered facing toward me), dislodged the heart from the sack, went through the far lung, broke a rib on the far side and lodged under the skin. The animal circled, was down, kicked, and was dead.

There's your "ballistic data".

Just backordered 200 rounds of 256 brass. Hopefully it will arrive before the gun project is completed. Currently...I'm not convinced thats likely.

You've got the dies. You've got time to perfect a sizing technique. Fellow idiots dumb as I am to mess with this cartridge by and large do not have the forming dies. I was wondering if a .30 Luger die might work for a "step down" forming die.

See my comments regarding "buffing" the plastic tipped bullets to operate in magazines otherwise too short to accommodate. No loss of accuracy in direct comparison to un-buffed bullets (loaded singly in both the Marlins and the Ruger). Eminently more practical than "designing" a magazine.

As to big game, the 75gr V-max operated much as a reliable big game bullet when launched at .256 velocity. On a mature pronghorn buck at 110 yards, the bullet entered the brisket (goat was quartered facing toward me), dislodged the heart from the sack, went through the far lung, broke a rib on the far side and lodged under the skin. The animal circled, was down, kicked, and was dead.

There's your "ballistic data".

I need to make time to get to your other posts!!