JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So last week I went to take a shot with my rifle and all I got was "click" and not the good silenced kind. The kind where nothing happened.

My bolt was a bit dirty, shooting suppressed a lot will do that. So I tried cleaning it and still nothing. Pulled the bolt apart to check it and test it. It appears the firing pin has worn so much it no longer makes good contact. No problem, I have had this gun about 7 years and no clue how many thousands of rounds though it. I will just hop online and order another and here is where the problem begins.

Apparently this is a "factory only" part. No big deal, I will ship the bolt. Apparently this is not the case either. From reading online they want the whole rifle. In my case this is just not cool, but many people have lots of trigger work done on their guns and Ruger puts all the guns back to "factory" before they send them back out. I will call them in the morning but was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? Many years ago I had to send a Ruger revolver back with a split barrel. I was shooting hand loads and fully expected to pay for service. Not only did the not charge me, they did not mess with the trigger job that had been done. When I got the gun back there was something else that was different and I could not put my finger on it for a while. All the holster wear was gone, they had re-blued the frame.

Unless they plan on paying for shipping both ways this is the LAST Ruger I will buy or recommend. For someone that shoots a lot to have to send the whole gun back every 5-10 years is NOT acceptable. I hate to be that way after the great service on the pistol but.........

Well looks like Ruger is going on my list of NEVER again.

Called today and the lady that answered the phone knew very little. Apparently "I don't know" is the standard answer now.

Ruger will not pay for shipping for a part that can only be "factory" installed. I asked why it should cost me about $100 to get a rifled repaired for a $10 part. "I don't know" how much it will cost, you have to send it in and we will give you a quote". How can you not know what the cost of a standard service is?

I asked if I could get more then one firing pin. NO

I asked why I should have to spend $100 on a rifle every 5 years when it is claimed to be a quality rifle. Guess the answer yet? "I don't know".

So at that point I hung up and figure I would send an email. No email address, just a "submit" form when you can only put in 500 character so I guess that is my next step.

I had a blacksmith weld up a .380 AMC Back-up extractor many years ago. Held up fine.
Perhaps you could weld it/have it welded up "proud" and dress it down with a file/stones.
And that's pretty lame it being a "factory" install part. Come on.
Dollars to donuts it's a drop-in, one size fits all type deal.

Well my "email" said I would get a response within 3 days. 30 min later I had a phone call. I was working so I was not able to answer but it sounds like we might be able to make a very reasonable deal. I did not have a chance to call back until they were closed so I will see what happens tomorrow.

Apparently with the 77/22 all of the bolts are individually made so the firing pins need hand fitted. This was per the voicemail. I will have more details when I actually talk to someone.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top