JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I'm within a day or two of finally buying that 1911 model .45 ACP. Over the last 3 months I've absolutely narrowed it down to the Ruger 1911, either the 6700 full length barrel, or the 6702 Commander length barrel. I'm pretty sure I'll want to CC it from time to time, so the Commander size appeals to me, but the full length model is just so classic and sexy looking. How does the shorter barrel effect accuracy at the range, and are there any other drawbacks to the shorter barrel? Keith's has both at a very reasonable price, with the 6702 being $30 cheaper ($659 vs $629).

As a side note, I must have stumbled on the secret handshake or something because Keith himself waited on me yesterday and he was very much into good customer service and answering all my questions.

I've owned, and currently own, both barrel lengths. I've shot them a bunch, too. The 3/4" barrel and sight radius length is barely noticeable, if at all. In a full size autoloader, there is still a decent stretch between the sights with a 4 1/4" barrel. It's not like were talking about a 2" snubbie revolver.
Pick the one you like.
But, if it was me, I'd buy the Commander length and bob the tail if you're looking for a carry gun. Concealed carry, that is. I carry a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail in a Galco Summer Special (IWB) holster and it doesn't take much to hide it. The full length slide will just bury itself a little further down your trousers.
One of the full length guns I have is the first Ruger SR1911 I saw for sale. Great gun and not just "for the money". If I didn't have my CBOB, I'd buy a Commander and do exactly what I mentioned.
By the way, I talked to Keith several years ago. His employees would do well to follow his example. He seemed like a great guy.

Well Zeke, no joy here on the Rugers, no experience, but as to barrel length and sight radius I've owned a full sized, a Commander and an Officers mod. (3 1/2" barrel) at the same time and I experienced little difference between the three. The Officers actually was the most accurate! It's the one I kept. I think that you would be happy with the Commander and it's just easier to carry.
Ditto on Keith, he's a nice guy! I do fine with his staff too. Just know what you want or want to know, have your questions ready and ducks in a row! Their busy!
Enjoy your new Ruger! SRG

Last Edited:
I own both models. They both operate and shoot superbly. At one time I even owned two of the full size Rugers. But...Since I've owned the shorter model, I've never again shot my full size version, even though I consider the full size to be a better range and/or open carry gun.

Flip a coin and choose one.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews