JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ruger 57, Yea or Nay?

• Yes, it is wacky good times.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • No, waste of time and resources.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don't know ...

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • (gasp!) Guns are naughty! How dare you?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, eh (bromp!), what wuz duh ques'n again?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I looked at the Ruger 57. Ended up spending my money on a CZ 75 SP01. It just made sense to stick with a caliber I already had. I really liked the capacity of the 57, but you can get high cap mags for all so that was a non issue. As soon as the county tells me I can pick it up I will be putting it through its paces.

Years ago I owned an FN 57 IOM and honestly it did nothing for me . The little cartridge is neither fish nor fowl and it was designed with one purpose in mind . To give people who do not need a rifle in the course of their duties the ability to penetrate body armor with a compact PDW or pistol. Considering that the cool guy ammunition isn't really available to the plebes the guns that fire it are less than appealing to me.

Just my two cents but life is all about variety I suppose.

I voted NO, like said above, the ammo is the real issue, as we cant really get the good stuff, it's not worth the squeeze, add to that the funky PS-90 with all it's coolness, also limited by the lack of decent ammo, and it's a lost cause! Absolutely LOVED the PS90, hated the ammo situation, so it went byby, and the HK-53 took it's place for funky coolness, and back to a combat pistol for short stopping!

According to some tests some have done on readily available ammo the 28 gr (SS198LF green tip), some ammo can penetrate some soft armor (e.g., Level II armor rated for handguns).

Whether someone should buy a gun depends on what they want it for.

Fun? Can you afford it? Yes? Buy it.

Personal defense? Depends on your situation. Does it fill a niche that you are likely to encounter or need to fill? Then buy it. Otherwise?

However, for SHTF purposes I have three Five Sevens which are better for SHTF than the 57. Why? The open top of the 57 vs. the enclosed slide of the Five Seven.

YMMV

While I personally think Ruger could and should do a better job with their QC, at least they admit there is a potential issue/problem with their products and issue a recall and or safety bulletin. I can think of a Tupperware brand that just issues "upgrades". 🙄

While I personally think Ruger could and should do a better job with their QC, at least they admit there is a potential issue/problem with their products and issue a recall and or safety bulletin. I can think of a Tupperware brand that just issues "upgrades". 🙄
It's really not that big of a deal, the 57 recall. I mean it's the manual safety switch after all.

I own one it is definitely fun to shoot I don't know if its worth the 699 price tag I paid when it first came out but is cheaper compared to fn's 57... But the only major issue has been ammo I don't have a good amount but it seams to be a ghost round like .357 sig when it comes to availableilty

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top