JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, Ruger 556, medium profile carbine gas system barrel. I like the rifle, but want to shed some weight upfront. I'm thinking about faxon's 16in gunner profile barre, or going all the way to a pencil profile. Worth the trouble ? Since it's wa I can't buy a new rifle, so upgrades are my option.

Have you tested loads with it and see if it shoots well?

My vote to leave it alone. Especially if you haven't given the barrel enough food to know if it is a good barrel or not.

If it's a crap barrel, then I'd say look to switch. If it is a god shooter, find elsewhere to lose weight.

Just checked Rugers website, says 6.5 pounds. That's hard to beat for what it is. The MP15 sport is at 6.42 but that's only because their website listed it in ounces for some reason. Rounding up and adding a red dot or rear sight and you're over 7.

6-7 is average (I'll just tag him now @Stomper )

Under 6 is hard to do without hurting things. Go to light on the barrel it gets too hot too fast. Cut a bunch of holes in the receiver, more places for dirt to get in. Make the receiver out of lighter stuff, it loses its rigidity and toughness.

Here is a good example of cutting weight and they still only got the rifle itself down to 5 pounds.
Add an optic and you're on your way back to 6-7 pounds.

Last Edited:
Just checked Rugers website, says 6.5 pounds. That's hard to beat for what it is. The MP15 sport is at 6.42 but that's only because their website listed it in ounces for some reason. Rounding up and adding a red dot or rear sight and you're over 7.

6-7 is average (I'll just tag him now @Stomper )

Under 6 is hard to do without hurting things. Go to light on the barrel it gets too hot too fast. Cut a bunch of holes in the receiver, more places for dirt to get in. Make the recorder out of lighter stuff, it loses its rigidity and toughness.

Here is a good example of cutting weight and they still only got the rifle itself down to 5 pounds.
Add an optic and you're on your way back to 6-7 pounds.

I don't follow what you mean? :s0153:

:s0140:

I'd be leery about tearing into a Ruger, they tend to do their own thing and you may end up needing to replace much of the upper due to proprietary parts. I'd say if you want a LW upper buy a LW upper. And personally, I wouldn't put a Faxon barrel on anything I own, for good budget barrel I'd look at BA Hanson or SOLGW (mainly for the warranty/replacement deal) if I was going with a nitride barrel.

What weight are you hoping to get it down to ?
accurate, functioning rifle > saving a couple of ozs
If it's a question of balance, add a little to the stock end.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top